No announcement yet.

Direct IP questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once GS hands out the host's IP it is indeed know longer in the picture. It is indeed just a match making/chat service, not a game server in the way that most FPS's or massively multiplayer servers are. The problems for most people IRT GS Arcade(and the normal CivPTW interface that is powered by gamespy technology) are that it requires many ports to be fully open on your computers TCP/IP adaptor. And as many people with cable/DSL run firewalls for hacker protection, this causes problems that many people do not have the knowledge to deal with. Direct IP(which uses directplay) uses only one port, 2302. And ergo has fewer problems.

The big reason for myself, to use Direct IP, is that you can much easier chose who you want to join your game, if you don't want someone you don't give them your IP.

As for how to host a Direct IP game:

1. start CivPTW, chose Multiplayer....
    2. click on the "Location" button, which changes the game from "internet" to "local", this is the same as per LAN game.
    3. click Host, which takes you to the "multiplayer setup" screen, with the players list etc.
    4. at some point before this give out your IP to the player you want. This can be done many ways; instant messangers, IRC chat rooms etc. I have both PTW and Arcade open, I have the game open and ready to except players as in pt 3, and I chat in Arcade to get good low ping players. But what ever works for you is fine.

To join a Direct IP game, first you must have the 1.14f patch for your version of CivPTW, then it's just a matter of clicking on the "direct IP" button above the "powered by gamespy" logo in PTW interface.

Hope this helps

Merry Christmas
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Any reason, this doesn't work for me?
      No firewall (had one installed once, but uninstalled it)
      can't host or join IP games

Is there a way to see if a port is open/closed ?
      thanks
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

thanks
        Yeah, someone help us out here.
        It doesn't work for me either (we followed the instructions you PM'd me NYE, but it still didn't work )

Me and Alva are tied at one game each in duels.
        The time I won Alva complained of terrible lag ( ) and the time he won I was the English .... if we can play some directIP games maybe I can finally prove my 1337-ness to him.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

For a good test of your ports go here:

Note: disabling/removing a firewall does not open the ports that it closed, you will have to reboot at the very least.

Are you guys behind any kind of router?

There is also the possiblity that your ISP is blocking ports as well, but the tools at the link above will atleast show what the situation is.

Make sure that you read the 1.14f readme and the Gamespy Arcade firewall help page for a complete list of all the used ports.

There may still be hope for you if UDP port 2302 is open then you will be able to join a Direct IP game.

Cheers

J
          Global Admin/Owner
          Civilization Players Leagues
          www.civplayers.com
          http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by alva
            Are you behind a router? If so, your router may be blocking the ports (if you're hosting). If you're just trying to join a game, it shouldn't matter. If you're hosting, you'll need to set up your router to forward 3 ports back to your system:

• 13139 (UDP)

• 6500 (TCP and UDP)

• 2302 (TCP and UDP)

If you aren't behind a router at all (i.e. your computer is directly connected to your broadband connection), then you shouldn't have any problems, as your ports are already open.

thanks
            Yes, there are port scanning tools/web sites out there. Some ISPs block incoming ports and some don't. None should be blocking ports above 1024 though.
            - The Lich

Comment

Working...
            X