World War II in Europe PBEM - sign up/setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II in Europe PBEM - sign up/setup

I've been toying with the idea of a WWII PBEM for some time, but it was hard to find good scenarios. After loading times of 15 minutes, and spectacular crashes of C3C, I'm through with world maps for WWII.

This game is full

Link to the tracker thread:

Found a scenario for Europe, which seems to have a good enough balance:
    I have modified El Mencey's scenario so that it will work for Multi-player (5 or 6 humans and 2 or 3 computer). I have also created a single player mode. The single player version allows Germany and USSR to create settlers (since the AI has a penchant for razing cities). For the...

(based on this one)

And the files for it (unzip into the "Conquests\Scenarios" folder):

The map reminds me of the Civ2 WWII scenario, which was a lot of fun. There are some rule changes, and the tech tree looks strange, but the game plays well.

Players:
    • Grandpa Troll - England (replaced GodKing due to problems with Civ)
    • joncnunn - France
    • Stalin (adamsaka) - USSR
    • Modo - Germany
    • Paddy the Scot - Spain (replaced StrictlyRockers, who disappeared without a word)
    • Soltz - Italy

Germany, England, and the USSR seem like the strongest civs to play with. Basically, they can survive going headlong into a battle with any other major power. The other three can deal (and take ) some serious damage as well, but they could be dead very quickly, depending on the turn of events.

There are two minor civs, not meant for human players. Weak, spread out, combining multiple nations - due to the 8 players limit. Basically some pushovers for the early game.

Not all alliances are set at the beginning, to allow France and Italy to back out of the war, or switch sides, as they did historically. But I assume, that Germany will attack France on turn 1, and that Italy will join Germany in an alliance/MPP against Engalnd and France at some point early in the game. Technically, the scenario lasts until somewhere in 1945 (just over 60 turns - a month per turn), but if the winner isn't clear by then, I expect the game to keep going. Oh, and the victory is by Domination or Conquest only. The VP scoring is only of theoretical importance.

I'll play any one of the six nations. Any takers? Comments on the setup?
    Last edited by Modo44; September 16, 2005, 02:35.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Nice. I have been wanting to do one for a while. I already have one scenario, although I cannot remember who built it, it is a good one.

Count me in, random Civ. No alliances at the start. What victory conditions?
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by GodKing
      Count me in, random Civ. No alliances at the start. What victory conditions?
      I advise you read the first post again, especially the last part.

Alliances will be there, the historical ones in place in 1940. What happens later is free for every player to decide. Victory conditions are Domination, and Conquest.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Hi there, I would like to join. Im happy to play a random civ, but would prefer the USSR. (As Ive lived in Russia for the last 3 months).

Comment

Then USSR it is. Welcome.

Comment

I'm willing to give it a go. I'll take Italy or Spain just to stay under the radar!

Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

Hello there. You've been added.

Comment

Cheers. Sounds good. Just call me Stalin then I guess.

Comment

Just peeking in to check out what is happening... still waiting for a couple more I see to sign up.
                  If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Yes, I hope to get 6 players together. We're 2 short at the moment. I don't expect many people to be eager to play France, so we might go with 5, or I'll take it. For now, I go with Germany. Soltz gets Italy (by a dice roll ). I'd rather not have an AI playing France, as it would make too easy a target (not that it's hard anyway...).

I'll be gone for a day, starting tomorrow morning, so the game will probably start Tuesday evening, or Wednesday morning GMT.

The playing order is determined by the scenario, to allow the defending countries to at least fortify. I have updated the first post with the correct turn order. England is the first human-controlled nation to play. Goding, will you be able to start the game, once we have a full player's list?

Comment

I'm willing to give France a try.

I sugest making Spain a computer player. They were neutral histrorically and had a really bad economy & military since they hadn't recovered from their civil war.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

On the turn order, if "sneak attack" mode isn't on against the AI Netherlands / Dutch, Germany should be before them in the order.

France - England - Netherlands should have a locked alliance

Germany - Italy should have a locked alliance

USSR & Spain should start outside this alliance structure.

As for Yugoslavia, if all the units are from the Serbian population, that would be the allies, but if part of those units are Croats, there would be a represnention problem, because the Croats were German allies.
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I'm having a problem with the second zip file; winzip says it's invalid on both attempts to download.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

Notebook out of power, will check back Monday
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

That makes us five.

I'd still like a player for Spain. It is weak at the start, so it probably won't do much early on. But an AI would become a pushover, while a human can make for some interesting diplomacy. Or do you think Spain would be too powerful in human hands? I admit I don't know it's WWII history very well, only that it was sort of neutral.

France, and Italy need to be out of the forced alliance structure. France became Vichy, and effectively surrendered to the Germans. Italy broke down after it has been invaded, and Duce killed. I see no reason to force them to fight all the way, should history repeat itself. There's little enough diplomacy in this scenario, so I'd rather try to preserve it.

Netherlands are last in the playing order, so Germany gets the "sneak attack" on the first turn.

It seems the file I first linked to is corrupt. First post updated with the correct download. It contains the necessary files, and the scenario itself.
                              Last edited by Modo44; January 9, 2005, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X