No announcement yet.

BEST of the BEST / Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was more like meaning a Civ III ladder for ACS, not MyLadders.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Have you checked out Apolyton University in the Strategy forum? It's designed more for fun and learning than for serious competition, but it's still a great place to see how your skills measure up against other players'.

Another idea would be a "Hall of Great and Interesting Games," perhaps with a topped thread with links pointing to threads discussing particular games. Such a Hall could include not only high-scoring romps starting from fantastic starting positions, but also games like Aeson's "So Very Cold" game where a player overcame a terrible starting position.

Comment

I wouldn't join as I'd be too tempted to reload when one of my cities mysteriously and randomly culture swaps, or when an elite cavalry unit loses to a 1hp spearman.

GL with it tho.

Comment

Never cared about halls of fame....

And yes....
          Attached Files

Comment

Even as this poll is closed I might post my comments about this.
            I would love to have a hall of fame. People which mastered the game and achieved a triumphal victory over his enemies. Would be interesting to download the saves and try to recreate the success or learn some new strategies.
            Learning by doing is the name of the game
            Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea because you could download the Best players games to see some strategy.
              Maybe you should check out the CivFanatics HOF. Sounds basically like what you are talking about.

This thread contains most of the discussions about the games. (it gets to the games about 100 posts in)

Comment

In my view, the CivFanatics Hall of Fame should more properly be called the Hall of Milking. The Hall of Fame is not so much about building great civilizations as it is about manipulating the rules to delay victory for centuries in order to run up the score. Which, in turn, takes away a lot of the incentive for good players who don't enjoy milking to participate. Further, even among those who do participate, the games they went to the trouble of milking will not necessarily be their best-played games. I'm not saying that all the games in the Hall of Fame are milked (I've never investigated that), but the top ones certainly are.

Certainly, you'll find well-played games in the Hall of Fame. But the best? I'm a lot more skeptical of that.

Comment

Certainly 'best' is a relative term. It sounded like at least a few of the posters here were talking about rankings by in-game score... so I pointed out CivFanatics HOF which does that already.

Comment

No, I do not want a HOF here at Apolyton. I have my own style of play which would not compare well to early warriors.

What I want is to regain the HOF of my own PTW with modded rules!

Comment

Open up the HighScores.cv3 file and add a line like this:

Brennus 25 2866 3 4 1

Code:
                      [u]Name      Civ(Color)  Score  Difficulty  VictoryType   Victory/Loss[/u]
                      Brennus       25       2866       3            4             1
                      Color: 0-31, matches up to the way they are listed in the editor.
                      Difficulty: 0-5 Chieftain-Deity
                      VictoryType: Domination(0), Conquest(1), Cultural(2), Diplomatic(3), Spacerace(4), Retired(5), Histograph(6)
                      Victory: 1 Loss: 0

Comment

Aeson, you're the BEST!
                        Thank you (assuming I can open HighScores.cv3 with Notepad).

Comment

Any text editor will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple
                            Meaningless, too easy to cheat.
                            Ok, I know I am naive on this, but how does one cheat in CivIII? In the case they talked about you post a save, so use of the editor to up the map would be availble to all and if you turn off the seed that is know. I guess that leaves reloading.
                            Have editors for save games been created?

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                              Have editors for save games been created?
                              You don't really need one to modify a save. A simple hex editor and basic knowledge will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X