Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ungrateful citizens of Civ3

Hola,

During my latest war of agressi...I mean, liberation against the Iroquois, I couldn't help but laugh at some really silly things concerning citizen happiness.

After the war, happines went up because of war weariness being eliminated. However, as usuall, many of the large conquered cities were still experiencing severe bouts of disorder.

This is of course, normal, but I had never bothered to figure out the causes of this unhappines, when I did I was up for a suprise:

"Hell no, we won't go!" What??? It was your mother country which drafted you not me!!

"We can't forget the cruel oppresion you have bore down upon us" Huh??? It was your mother country which forced you into slavery to build improvements!!

Frankly, I don't understand why they are pissed, after all, I liberated them from their despot ruler!!
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Very true!
    I can understand people from newly conquered lands being unhappy. Afterall, they are not ruled by a foreign ruler. But the citizens being unhappy because of what their formal ruler did to them was plain stupid.
    If you are the Americans and just recently occupied Iraq, the Iraqis should be like :"Get out! you stinky yankees! Long live Saddam!"
    ==========================
    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Maybe the theory is that it takes a while to convince your new citizens that you are an enlightened ruler, unlike your predecessor - so it still takes 20 turns for their unhappiness to wear off.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
        Maybe the theory is that it takes a while to convince your new citizens that you are an enlightened ruler, unlike your predecessor - so it still takes 20 turns for their unhappiness to wear off.
        They also might be pissed because their size=28 capital turned into a size=11 outpost in the edges of my empire...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

maybe they realized that having no food and water wasnt the normal, and now they want to be full fledged capitalists, which by default means they will be unhappy....LOL

Comment

I am some what in agreement, but I can understand the unhappy people. I mean when you get really mad, it takes a while to cool down , regardless of the reason or the fact that the ones in front of you now, are not responsible for the past problems. You are still angry. Have you not snap at an innocent party?

Comment

Well I agree that their reasons are stupid, but it's reasonable to assume that an evil dictator would spread propaganda against you, hence making them unhappy.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Yep, this is nothing new and has been known for ages. While the AI drafts and pop rushes and takes the negative, once the city is captured, you inherit the negative from the AI. What's worse, is if you disband the city, the negative will transfer to another close city in your empire.

Maybe the reasoning's not very good, but that's how the game was programmed.
                badams

Comment

Well, when cities flip around with conquest, people may be confused. One never know in troubled times were his allegiance should be.

Comment

Oh, it's quite logical. The people are used to their old oppressor, they don't wan't a new one who could be even worse, and also foreign. Think what would happen in Iraq if it is to be declared a u.s/u.k colony post-war: extreme unhappiness. It takes time to convince the masses.

Comment

Well, that raises the point of even keeping the city.

I always disbanded cities that didn't like me...I stress they didn't like "Me".

But also, the best way to destroy any anger without having to keep units around to recapture city is to burn the population off with communism or despositism (Of course you will have to be religious civ to do this).

And I also agree that people often don't liek switching dictators, an example was when Hitler invaded the Soviet annexed territories in ww2, they thought Hitler would help them, but he made them miserable.
                      "I like to consider myself a virus, I spread and consume natural resources, then I leave my former home baren and cold, what am I? Why, I am YOU !"-Mr. Waffleberry

Comment

Draft unhappiness will go away in max. 20 turns. Thats the amount of time they need to see that you're "not that kind of guy". Sounds logical to me.

The "cruel oppresion" thing is indeed anoying. When I plan a war, I make sure I have the means to destroy that civ, thus not having this unhappiness problem.

Comment

I did destroy that civ! Totally!

The cruel oppresion is a result of pop-rushing. When they are upset about a war against their mother-land they say it (something like "stop the war against our mother land!")

Comment

The cruel oppresion is a result of pop-rushing.
                            It´s also a result of war... I´ve had "the cruel oppression problem" without having pop-rushed once.
                            "war against their mother-land " only comes while you´re still at war....
                            And ever after, sun shone upon the land of Sunshinia...

Comment

Yea, you're right. But the "aggression against our mother country" dissapears if you destroy that civ entirely. At least something...

Comment

Working...
                              X