critically missing terrains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• critically missing terrains

What terrains do people think are critically missing from the game, and how would you differeniate them from existing terrains?

everest height mountains - not settleable

frozen oceans - very minimal food, greatly reduced naval speed

swamps - disease, no tracked vehicles off road, not settleable, can be terraformed (drained) into grassland

plateaus - flatlands between mountains that have no movement penalty

manmade lakes - this would require a major change because these would only exist behind dammed rivers

woods - limited extra production and defensive value

glaciers - units degrade (freeze) for every turn spent outside of a city or fortress

I am a firm believer that it was good to remove terraforming from the game. Altho there are some limited examples of real life terraforming, none have been on the scale of a single game tile, with the possible exception of the Dutch lowlands. Also, many terrains are based on the weather, and therefore realistically cant be changed.

These are all that seem essential to me. Any additional ones?
    No, more terrains would enhance game play.
    57.69%
    Yes, additional terrains would not enhance the game.
    42.31%

Woods- basically forests

Swamps- sounds good

Plateaus- little food and small movement bonus

Valley- movement loss, but good for farming

All together, we need more terrain. It would make the game tougher, but in a good way.

Comment

Not really a new terrain, this has already been suggested before, but flood plains should be green.
      I like the idea of valleys and plateaus.

Comment

Plateaus should be flatland high plains with no movement penalty.
        Valleys are good!
        I miss settling cities in mountains, but differentiating them with height differences seems a little too much. I like civ as simple as it is, even if it sometimes sacrifices some reality. If I want reality, then I'll go to the Operational Art of War.

Comment

Re: critically missing terrains

Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
          What terrains do people think are critically missing from the game, and how would you differeniate them from existing terrains?

everest height mountains - not settleable
          I'd just leave this how it is

frozen oceans - very minimal food, greatly reduced naval speed
          I like the idea behind this, you could have Stormy waters as well

swamps - disease, no tracked vehicles off road, not settleable, can be terraformed (drained) into grassland
          I think Swamps should be the "floodplain of Jungle." By that, I mean that all Jungle squares next to a river becomes Swamp (like all desert next to a river becomes flood plains). I would proably be something like 1 food and 1 shield. It would have the same disease. I like the "can't settle" thing as well.

plateaus - flatlands between mountains that have no movement penalty
          Not sure what the difference between this and just average plains are.

manmade lakes - this would require a major change because these would only exist behind dammed rivers
          I think this would be too complicated

woods - limited extra production and defensive value
          Don't see a difference between this and Forest

glaciers - units degrade (freeze) for every turn spent outside of a city or fortress
          Didn't Civ2 have Glaciers? I don't mind these (they could be like the Civ2 ones). Not sure if I want another disease type terrain

I am a firm believer that it was good to remove terraforming from the game. Altho there are some limited examples of real life terraforming, none have been on the scale of a single game tile, with the possible exception of the Dutch lowlands. Also, many terrains are based on the weather, and therefore realistically cant be changed.
          Agreed

These are all that seem essential to me. Any additional ones?
          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

swamp is the only very obvious terrain thats missing , imo
            frozen oceans might be interesting, could replace built in icecaps

Comment

As far as I'm concerned - There is no such thing as too many terrain types!
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Despite the fact that a couple of types of terrain were left out, adding them would just make things too complicated.
                Shouldn't you be dead or something?

Comment

everest height mountains - well, mountains are already not settleable, I see no reason for more mountains.

frozen oceans - interesting idea... icepack or somesuch, or even shifting icepack if you wanted to get fancy.

swamps - if it's good enough for 2, it's good enough for 3...

plateaus - how are these substantially different from, say, plains?

manmade lakes - well, that's a whole 'nother story, with man-made terrains and all. Personally, I see too many exploits with being able to make your own terrain and lakes.

woods - so, like forests lite? I'll pass, forests are enough.

glaciers - maybe, but those penalties sound a bit extreme.

You're the man. Very true.
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

We already have 2 different types of forest, the pine kind and the kind that looks like jungle with duller colors.

Maybe we could just alter the stats for one of them?

Comment

one important factor I left out. I'd rather see land type + land cover. A hill covered in trees is very different from a snow hil, or rolling prairie hill, but game wise, all have the same effects.

I had actually menat everest mtns should be unpassable. I think i had a brain fart when I typed that.

Plateaus are the high grounds between mtns/hills. Therefore, you could not assault directly with mounted/wheeled units without a road, whereas a plains in between mtns can be assaulted directly from the mtns.

I agree that woods have little distinction. its just that I come from wooded areas that would never be considered forests. Armor would be able to go thru woods, but not forests.

I already consider flood plains as valleys (agree they should be green). In reality (geology experts feel free to correct me), fllod plains flood frequently, and you really dont want to build too much on them, whereas valleys are also highly productive without the flooding.

I'd avoid stormy waters due to there reliance on weather which isnt a factor unfortunately in the game.

I do think its a shame that jungles and swamps seemed to have been rolled into one terrain. I wonder why?

Comment

About plateaus.
                        Why not make it kinda like floodplains. Any flat area, surrounded by mountains, and small enough becomes a plateau. How 'bout it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvin
                          About plateaus.
                          Why not make it kinda like floodplains. Any flat area, surrounded by mountains, and small enough becomes a plateau. How 'bout it?
                          Bingo!!!!!

Comment

Volcanoes and earthquake zones would be good
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Definitely more terrains are needed. If nothing else just bring back the swamps, and do something along that tundra/glacier/frozen ocean business. And volcanoes.

Of course, then we'll need to move on from flat terrain and have some heights too...

Comment

Working...
                              X