Political Correctness in Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Correctness in Civ 3

Does anyone think that Civ 3 is a little too Politically Correct? I know that we've had many discussions about the fact that there are better French leaders than Joan of Arc (a decision that still baffles me), better Russian leaders than Catherine ( Peter the Great, anyone?), better Egyptian leaders than Cleopatra, etc. Many people think that those particular characters were selected due to the fact that they are women, and a sign of Firaxian P.C. ness. However, something that really bothers me are the choices for German great leaders.

I play as Germany all of the time. As a militaristic civ, I generate many GLs. Germany's selection of GLs is terrible. First of all, Germany only has 4: Barbarossa, Richtoffen, Hengest, ad Horsa.

Barbarossa is a good choice. The others are very crappy indeed. German history is full of military and political legends, and these are the leaders that are given? Lets examine them.

Richtoffen, the Red Baron, isn't all that bad, he just isn't as good as many others that could have been selected. Hengest and Horsa are terrible selections. Though both were Saxons, they figure far more in English history than German history, and may not have even existed. Why include them when there is such a rich history of German leaders to choose from?

I can understand if Firaxis was squemish about using Hitler as a Great leader. However, they saw no qualms about using Lenin and Stalin as Russian great leaders. What, weren't their bloodbaths as evil as Hitler's? Why not use Rommel as a leader? He wasn't nearly as atrocious of a figure as Stalin.

If Firaxis wants to avoid using Nazis (but still uses Totalitarian Communists? Seems hypocritical to me), then why not use some early, 2nd Reich German figures. Besides Bismarck, who I think was the PERFECT choice as the main leader of Germany, Firaxis seems to ignore these figures all together. Why not Hindenburg and Ludendorff? Wasn't the 1914 Battle of Tannenburg remarkable enough to earn them a spot on the Great Leader roster? How about the elder von Moltke? Wasn't his brilliant leadership during the Franco-Prussian, especially the crushing defeat of France at the 1870 Battle of Sedan greater than anything that Richtoffen, (let alone Hengest and Horsa) ever did? Even more inexcusable is ignoring Frederick the Great, one of history's all-time greatest generals. What about Napoleonic War generals von Clausewitz or von Blücher? All of these men were great leaders, and all deserved to be included over Richtoffen, Hengest, and Horsa.

Does the fact that Inforgrames is French have anything to do with the choices that Firaxis made on which leaders Germany should have? Is the fact that most of these great German leaders fought against the French the reason that they were ignored? If so, then that seems to me to be an insultingly stupid piece of P.C.ness. I know that this is a minor detail, and that it can be fixed through the editor, but it is something that annoys me and I wanted to see if anyone else was annoyed by a particularly P.C. move on the part of Firaxis. Am I the only person who notices/ gives a **** about these kinds of things?
    Last edited by nationalist; April 1, 2003, 02:53.
    "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Nah, I don't think so. If you can raze enemy cities(killing millions) without repercussions in year 2003, there is no PC involved.

Comment

Don't compare Lenin to Stalin. And many of Third Reich's greatest generals were so anti-Nazi, that only thing that kept them alive was the fact that they were great generals.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
        And many of Third Reich's greatest generals were so anti-Nazi, that only thing that kept them alive was the fact that they were great generals.
        I know this. That makes their ommission even more baffling.

BTW, even though Lenin was no Stalin, he certainly was no Santa Claus.
        "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Re: Political Correctness in Civ 3

Originally posted by nationalist
          Am I the only person who notices/ gives a **** about these kinds of things?
          Hmm......Yeah, you are.

CASE CLOSED!
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
            Nah, I don't think so. If you can raze enemy cities(killing millions) without repercussions in year 2003, there is no PC involved.
            You're certainly correct in that respect. However, some of their choices for historical figures smacks of P.C. to me.

Comment

Re: Re: Political Correctness in Civ 3

Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Hmm......Yeah, you are.

CASE CLOSED!
              Oh well

Comment

Some of their leader selections go beyong being too PC, they are just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
                  Some of their leader selections go beyong being too PC, they are just silly.
                  Yeah, you think that they could have picked up a history reference book or something. Come on, I mean Hengest and Horsa

Comment

Well Hitler wasn't really a great leader. Ok he was an administrative genius and a wiz in running his country but far, far away in being a leader. We all know what happened when he personally takes over the command whooom good by Germany. But Rommel would be a good choice-the desert fox-I would also vote for Model and Jodel, two very good Generals in the German army. Hmm perhaps the same code of "political correctness" that prevented Paradox from showing the Nazi-flag in HoI hit Firaxis and they left out any German leader in this time period but we all know that the German Wehrmacht Generals had nothing to do with this madness in fact Rommel took part in an attempt to kill the Fuehrer but it really looks like companies are quite sensitive when they tackle this period of time and tend to ignore it completely I call this ignorance of reality

Comment

I'd say that Firaxis chose the most obvious historical figures as leaders (not GLs, of course). When you think about Egypt, you think about Cleopatra. When you think about France, Joan of Arc is one of the first names that come to your mind. Same goes for India (Gandhi), Rome (Julius Caesar) and China (Mao).

As for the great leaders, I think that they could have made a deeper research. Yes, the German great leaders are not that important as Frederick the Great or Von Clausewitz, and even if Firaxis did not want to include any nazi leaders (for the sake of political correctness), they could not have overlooked those two leaders I mentioned.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I agree with you, Nationalism... Clausewitz and F II should be german GL's. And even Rommel : why is Hiro Hito a japanese GL and not Rommel a german one ?

About the leaders... of course Jeanne d'Arc is a very bad choice ! Louis XIV (as in civ2... and is reign is the real french GA !) or Napoleon (as in civ1) would be much better choices. And Jeanne is a perfect example of GL !!
                        Victoria, IMO, should be the leader of the english (the legendary "British empire" !), as Ramsès should be (and was...) for Egypt (Cleopatra's reign was the burial of the independant Egypt !).
                        I think the other leaders are acceptable...

Comment

Elizabeth 1 had far more power than Vicky, she is an ok choice. Churchill would have been better but he is British.
                          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

If Churchill had been thir leader, I'd love to play the english, even if they're one of the worst civs in civ3... and even if I'm french ! I love Churchill !!
                            Yes, Elizabth I had more power than Victoria, but Victoria's empire was much more powerfull, isn't it ?

Comment

I totally Agree!

How can you over look Kesselring, Guderian, Kliest!

The russians to no Yeremenko or Zuhkov?

And the English No Monty!

Its like the 2nd world war never happened.

Ich weise nicht!
                              If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected - SunTzu

Comment

Working...
                              X