Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

didnt you all really want SMAC on earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• didnt you all really want SMAC on earth?

lord knows i did!
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Maybe a "extended" civ version, like CTP.

Comment

yeah MRT144... Civ 3 is definitely a step backwards. But with PTW and all the new patches, it doesn't exactly "suck" anymore. I think it's just mediocre now.

SMAC on Earth....
      Unit Workshop
      Different Doctrines to use for government
      5 governments +Anarchy
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

i think SMAC is still a good game. so i can choose which one i want to play. (no wait, i forgott, i can only choose to play civ3 or the SMAC expansion pack, can't get the orginal to work with my xp os).
        but i do miss flying settlers, which i made a lot of in SMAC. they were fun... i used them on highest difficulty level. i thought SMAC's ai was to easy too beat (on highest level you should not be allowed to waste recourses on flying settlers and still win). what i want is a patch for SMAC that improves the ai. but that of course will never happen....

Comment

SMAC wouldn't work as Civ. For one thing, the players would go nuts over the unit workshop. And SMAC was based around seven different factions each with their own way of doing things. I'm sure you can imagine the flames that would come from including only seven civs in a Civ game.

Though that does raise an interesting point, what would it be like? Which civs would it be and with what priorities?
          "Aye, I suppose I can stay up that late."

James C. Maxwell when he was told there was a mandatory 6 AM mass at the Cambridge chapel.

Comment

I know that's exactly what I'm still drooling over... like customizing governments....

Comment

Emma, there is a patch for SMAC to allow it to run on XP.

Seemingly Benign
              Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

The thing is not to turn SMAC into an Earth game, the best would have been to incorporate the best of SMAC into Civ3, something that didn't haappen.

There are A LOT of little details which would have worked wonders in Civ3 whitouth upsetting the game balance much and would have definitely made Civ3 the mother of all games.
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Emma
                  (no wait, i forgott, i can only choose to play civ3 or the SMAC expansion pack, can't get the orginal to work with my xp os).
                  There's a patch available for XP users. Go to the Firaxis web site.

PS Damn, should have finished reading the rest of the thread. I hate repeating what's already been mentioned.

Comment

Do I want SMAC on Earth? No, not really. The one thing from SMAC that could have been used in Civ3 to good effect is the wealth of diplomatic options.
                    Seemingly Benign

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                      Do I want SMAC on Earth? No, not really. The one thing from SMAC that could have been used in Civ3 to good effect is the wealth of diplomatic options.
                      umm.... how bout the government system? the combat system? the "living" terrain?

I think it would've worked wonders.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

No, the government system, while appropriate for SMAC, would not really have fit Civ3 that well. The combat system is similar in the two games (and every civ game). While the unit workshop was fun, I'm not sure how you'd implement it in Civ3 (how is a foot sodier with a spear different from a spearman). I'll grant that terrain changing over the years (say, forest growing if a tile is 'neglected') could be cool. The '3D' terrain would be a waste of programming time. But, heh, these are just my opinions. I'd probably still play SMAC some if the AI weren't so braindead.
                        Seemingly Benign

Comment

thanks, but i already have the patch. that's how i got the expansion to work. i've tried everything but i can't get the original to work (the patch didn't help me there.) my custom factions don't work properly eighther, which is really anoying. but i could play it on an older computer (my sister's computer), no that won't work, she won't let me...

i don't have the US version (i think the patch was only supposed to be for the US version, but i installed it anyway), and i've got the european version of xp...maybe something doesn't work then. hmm...
                          anyway... if i want it to be more like the original i just leave out the newer factions.

Comment

The government system would work, just look at NationStates, something like that could be fitted in for Civ3. There could be oppresive regimes with liberal economies or vice versa for example.

Units could be created. For example take a basic foot soldier, and add an arrow or a longbow, a spear or a sword, later a musket or a rifle or an assault gun, no armor/chain mail/kevlar

tanks too: gun size: 37mm/75mm/90mm/120mm things like that. It would be great!

Comment

Sorry, sounds like too much micromanagement to me. Probably wouldn't like it.
                              Seemingly Benign

Comment

Working...
                              X