No announcement yet.

Unit Movement Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you play on a tiny map, you will approach a higher degree of realism. This is a strategy game though, not a simulation...
    But you can do whatever you want with the editor and then report it back here or in the creation forum and you will have your answer!

--Kon--
    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

It would not be so fun it it were 100% realistic. I think as it is movement land movement is fine, perhaps only alterable in a really huge (ie 362x362) map.

Naval movements IMO is too low, as well as aircraft ranges.
      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
        It would not be so fun it it were 100% realistic. I think as it is movement land movement is fine, perhaps only alterable in a really huge (ie 362x362) map.

Naval movements IMO is too low, as well as aircraft ranges.
        hi ,

well there is always the editor , but we should be able to play a bit more with it , RR bonus or not , limit this , expand that , etc , ....

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

well there is always the editor , but we should be able to play a bit more with it , RR bonus or not , limit this , expand that , etc , ....

have a nice day
          I agree, there are some details which I think the editor should be able to change. For example, making Forests increase production with RRs, this would make this terrain type actually useful.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

its fine now , the only thing that should be changed is the RR bonus , it should be limited , ....

have a nice day
            This is the single aspect of movement I would change The RR instant movement capability takes the sometimes hard choices out of how to position your forces out of the game, especially on large/huge maps. If I am moving large armies for an about-to-be-declared-war on a civ on my northern border, for example, I don't have to put as much thought as to my defensive posture on my other borders. If I over-commit to the north, and a civ attacks from the south, so what? - I can fix my mistake in the blink of an eye. And as I am a player who has not by any means conquered the whole globe by Steam Power, I prefer the challenge.
            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal

This is the single aspect of movement I would change The RR instant movement capability takes the sometimes hard choices out of how to position your forces out of the game, especially on large/huge maps. If I am moving large armies for an about-to-be-declared-war on a civ on my northern border, for example, I don't have to put as much thought as to my defensive posture on my other borders. If I over-commit to the north, and a civ attacks from the south, so what? - I can fix my mistake in the blink of an eye. And as I am a player who has not by any means conquered the whole globe by Steam Power, I prefer the challenge.
              hi ,

well thats what can happen , .....

however , the real world is the same

and if you have a mobile force , like horse man , knights or cav you should be able to adapt to the situation at ones , ....

ones again we have many views on the RR's , thats why we should be able to change it , one like more shields , one like slower movement , etc , .....

Firaxis

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

With the advent of 250x250+ maps, movement should be adjusted to a more 'realistic' level. I have already changed modern ships to have 'all terrain as roads', and am adding points from infantry on up.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                  hi ,

well thats what can happen , .....

however , the real world is the same
                  Do you mean to say that in the real world, if a nation is surprise attacked, it will be able to amass its entire military force against the attacker immediately?

AFAIK, when Germany was surprise attacked in Normandy on D-Day, it didn't have the option of using its forces in Russia too beat the invasion force back. Could you enlight me here?
                  If you cut off my head, what do I say?
                  Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    With the advent of 250x250+ maps, movement should be adjusted to a more 'realistic' level. I have already changed modern ships to have 'all terrain as roads', and am adding points from infantry on up.
                    If you do that though, you'll no longer have a late game unit that can retreat. All it takes is a move 2 Infantry unit, and that ability is cancelled out.

Comment

Do armies with mobility ever retreat?
                      Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel2D
                        Do armies with mobility ever retreat?
                        Yep. Countless examples in the medieval age. More recently, I will refer to Villers-Bocage and the battles of Caen during the Normandy Campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by theNiceOne

Do you mean to say that in the real world, if a nation is surprise attacked, it will be able to amass its entire military force against the attacker immediately?

AFAIK, when Germany was surprise attacked in Normandy on D-Day, it didn't have the option of using its forces in Russia too beat the invasion force back. Could you enlight me here?
                          hi ,

you gave the example yourself , ...... thats why RR's should be limited in movement , .......

and it would be of great help in long games against others , ....

have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

If you do that though, you'll no longer have a late game unit that can retreat. All it takes is a move 2 Infantry unit, and that ability is cancelled out.
                            Hmmm...I hadn't thought about that.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

2 game design changes would be highly desireable:
                              1) remove the unlimited movement from RR
                              2) change the retreating rule so that a faster unit can retreat.

If these changes were made, a few minor changes to land units would be nice. I drastically increased air ranges and modern naval speeds to more in line with RR. I could not increase many land unit movements because I did not want to remove the retreat option. I did increase roads to 1/4 that compensates somewhat for land units and moved RR to Corporation.

Comment

I agree with removing unlimited RR movement. It removes some strategy associated with locating your forces in the industrial era & modern era. I would also like to see all ground units get 2 movement in modern era. (Pikeman had to walk the entire 500 miles, Marines dont) but without retreat ability.
                                Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
                                Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Working...
                                X