No announcement yet.

POLL 21: Windowed mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In general, DX performs much worse in windowed mode than in full screen. It will work...it'll just work slowly.

In addition to that, there's the technical problem that, if you allow your window to be resized, you have to build an interface that can be easily resized with it and still be functional. This isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if you want to keep it looking nice. It would also make the interface harder for us to customize when we go to make mods.

Alt-Tab works just fine. I'd suggest that they drop the 256 color thing though, since Alt-Tabbing from within a DX game doesn't switch color depths very well most of the time. Oh, yeah, and because 256 colors are just pathetic.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bell on 05-05-2001 01:34 PM
      In general, DX performs much worse in windowed mode than in full screen. It will work...it'll just work slowly.

I guess it all comes down how different the game actually performs comparing Window-mode with fullscreen. If Firaxis really dont think they can make the game run slick, efficient and non-sluggish in windows-mode - also on a relatively modest P3-500Mhz machine - then perhaps fullscreen is the best way to go. I certainly keep my fingers crossed for Windows-mode, but if push comes to shove...

quote:

In addition to that, there's the technical problem that, if you allow your window to be resized, you have to build an interface that can be easily resized with it and still be functional. This isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if you want to keep it looking nice.

Hmmm! Well, that IS something to think about. Perhaps all these added potential problems just isnt worth the trouble after all...

quote:

Alt-Tab works just fine. I'd suggest that they drop the 256 color thing though, since Alt-Tabbing from within a DX game doesn't switch color depths very well most of the time.

256 colors only? From there have you got that piece of information? I thought that (at least) 16-bit was pretty much standard these days.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 05, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Anyway, I guess that answers the question. Windows-mode is apparently NOT incompatible with the DirectX technology. Good news!

Since when? All you do is set a flag when using direct x that says full screen or windowed mode. Although some 3dfx cards don't like it(like 5%), thats the only problem.

Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
        and kill them!

Comment

Also whats all this BS about speed? Its civ for crying out loud. Its not Starcraft or total anhilation. Where you can have over 600 units moving at the same time with massive explosions etc etc. We will move moving 1!!!! unit at a time. Now unless your an absolutly horrible programer there is no way you should see a speed difference between fullscreen mode and windowed. in a game like starcraft i could see the possibility.(massive armies etc moving at the same time and talking over tcp/ip) but not civ!
          Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
          and kill them!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by markusf on 05-05-2001 02:36 PM
            Since when? All you do is set a flag when using direct x that says full screen or windowed mode. Although some 3dfx cards don't like it(like 5%), thats the only problem.

Forgive us our ignorance. I/we didnt know it was that easy.

Comment

quote:

Its not Starcraft or total anhilation. Where you can have over 600 units moving at the same time with massive explosions etc etc. We will move moving 1!!!! unit at a time.

Good point. Yes, that is definately an advantage against RTS games.

And ToT was in 16bit Color, 256 colors would be a step back (but I think it can look still fine, AoK had also 256 colors and was nice)...

------------------
              Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
              Blah

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by markusf on 05-05-2001 02:41 PM
                Also whats all this BS about speed? Its civ for crying out loud. Its not Starcraft or total anhilation. Where you can have over 600 units moving at the same time with massive explosions etc etc. We will move moving 1!!!! unit at a time. Now unless your an absolutly horrible programer there is no way you should see a speed difference between fullscreen mode and windowed. in a game like starcraft i could see the possibility.(massive armies etc moving at the same time and talking over tcp/ip) but not civ!

Depends on how the graphics engine is written...remember SMAC? SMAC (also, this is where the reference to 256 colors came from, SMAC ran at 8 bit color. I haven't seen anything at all about the color depth in CivIII) had horrible video performance, even if there is only one unit moving at a time. I had assumed that the AI was where the problem was, but there's an appreciable difference running SMAC on different video cards. That's why they went to the low-res units. Remember, CivIII is coming from Firaxis, and Firaxis didn't do CivII or it's clones/add ons. Firaxis did SMAC, and SMAC's graphics engine quite frankly sucked.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I think most Direct X routines may be used both in Full screen and in a Window. However are some unique for full screen and some unique for windows. But I'm not 100% sure.
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Primary reason to have windows mode:

Right now, I have IE open to fool around here. I am working (sort of) on my dissertation, and kicking some mongol ass in Civ2. You just can't do that with CTP and SMAC.

When Civ3 comes out, I will still be working on this dissertation, will feel the need to whine about stuff on Apolyton (not to mention raz everyone opposed to civ specific units if they turn out well), and will play Civ3 all night every night (need more coffee). Please window it!

Comment

erm. is windowed mode really something to be so concerned about? most of the games i have don't mind being minimized, and unless the save times are horrendous, like in black and white, i dont see why anyone would have a problem quiting when they're done playing civ. just seems like a rather silly thing to whine about to me.
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Kc7mxo on 05-06-2001 03:11 PM
                        I dont see why anyone would have a problem quiting when they're done playing civ.

If you are done with it you may quit. This is correct, but if you are waiting for your turn in a multiplayer game you can not just turn off the game. And minimizing it would mean that you might miss your turn. No windowed it shall be!
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I'm confused you can still Alt-tab out of CTP2 whats the problem? it doesn't matter whether it's windowed or not??

------------------
                          " Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few "
                          Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Darkknight on 05-06-2001 06:51 PM
                            I'm confused you can still Alt-tab out of CTP2 whats the problem? it doesn't matter whether it's windowed or not??

Well, I once promoted "windowed Civ-3" with added hooks for game-interface skins: Is Civ-3 game-interface with SKINS a good idea?

Comment

Darkknight and others who don't understand why ALT-Tab'ing a fullscreen program is bad:

ALT-Tab'ing tends to result in one or several of the following:
                              1) Crashes the program
                              2) Crashes the computer
                              3) The computer starts going really really slow
                              4) Hard drive starts to "thrash"
                              5) Colours get screwed up (inverted?)
                              6) Mouse pointer/keyboard is not "captured" by appropriate program

I think I'm missing a couple but what I've mentioned can happen whether your getting out of your fullscreen program or getting back in.

For people running ICQ or hiding the game behind homework when parents walk in, fullscreen mode is just a pain in the [BLANK].
                              [This message has been edited by eNo (edited May 07, 2001).]
                              I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by eNo on 05-07-2001 04:05 PM
                                ALT-Tab'ing that tends to result in one or several of the following:
                                1) Crashes the program
                                2) Crashes the computer
                                3) The computer starts going really really slow
                                4) Hard drive starts to "thrash"
                                5) Colours get screwed up (inverted?)
                                6) Mouse pointer/keyboard is not "captured" by appropriate program

I completely agree with this list. All of those happened to me at some point.
                                Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                                X