No announcement yet.

POLL 21: Windowed mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go for the windowed mode if and only if that will not hamper gameplay in any way. Otherwise full screen with ability to alt-tab out will suffice. Windowed would just be a small nicety

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by boann on 05-03-2001 12:13 PM
      i won't be buying it if its not in windowed form.

heh I don't believe you :P

I think Civ 3 just should have the ability to be windowed or to be full screen. Everybody happy
      Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ancient on 05-03-2001 09:27 PM
        or you could just press Tab and Alt.. duh.. umm does it really make ythat much of a difference?

This has a slight tendency to crash/freeze programs, Alt-tab is basically to minimizing as force-quitting is to closing a window. In addition, Alt-tab does not enable you to resize a window.

------------------
        - Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

If you don't like it (and no one does) then be sure to tell them that. If we flood Firaxis with e-mails they'll listen.

Some email addresses i've found:

askthecivteam@firaxis.com
          jmorris@firaxis.com
          dmagaha@firaxis.com

Everyone write them an e-mail, make them thoughtful and explain why you don't like full screen. Explain why you want more than 7 players. Do it and do it now. Sooner we get it in, the less likely it'll be set in stone already. A massive response to anything will certainly change their minds, now folks its time to e-mail like mad!!!
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yeah, windows is nice...

Comment

A common sight on my computer: a music playlist, Civ II, a webrowser, and wordperfect, all open.

Couldn't do that with CTP
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Windowed mode is also better for scenario building: start the game, make changes in the text files or the graphics, reload and see how it works, then repeat until it is perfect...ok, that worked great with Civ2, don´t know if it is the same with Civ3 - but it should be.

------------------
                Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
                Blah

Comment

DirectX practically demands full screen. And I'd be dissapointed if the Scenario Editor was in-game...
                  Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                  Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

No it doesn't.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The Wiceroy commented in above poll: "DirectX it should be !! no need for slow Window modes".

Is DirectX incompatible with Windows-mode? I didnt thought of that, then I voted YES.
                      Perhaps they loose out to much by excluding DirectX? What do you think? I prioritize a smooth and fluid game-experience first and foremost. And razorsharp colourful graphics with fluid animations. IF they must have DirectX for that, and IF DirectX is incompatible with Windows-mode. Well, then i rather go for fullscreen I think.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 05, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

And I'd be dissapointed if the Scenario Editor was in-game...

Hm, I don´t care about if it´s in-game or not, only its quality counts for me.

Test of Time was in windowed mode - didn´t it run with directX? I have no idea about it. Perhaps one of the computer experts here can explain us that, and if directX and windowed mode cannot be work together?

------------------
                        Blah

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 05-05-2001 08:57 AM
                          Test of Time was in windowed mode - didn´t it run with directX?

I actually re-installed the "Ultimate Civilization II classic collection" 15 minutes ago (definitly Windows-mode), and the setup-program asked me if I also wanted to install required DirectX version 5 as well. Since I already had version 8 installed, I choosed not to.

Anyway, I guess that answers the question. Windows-mode is apparently NOT incompatible with the DirectX technology. Good news!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 05-05-2001 09:31 AM
                            I actually re-installed the "Ultimate Civilization II classic collection" 15 minutes ago (definitly Windows-mode), and the setup-program asked me if I also wanted to install required DirectX version 5 as well. Since I already had version 8 installed, I choosed not to.

Anyway, I guess that answers the question. Windows-mode is apparently NOT incompatible with the DirectX technology. Good news!

Umm, by your own words Ralf, you indicate that windows IS compatible with DirectX...
                            quote:

..."Ultimate Civilization II Classic Collection" is definately windows-mode, and setup asked me if I also wanted to install REQUIRED DirectX as well...

This indicates to me that the windows program is compatible with DirectX technology.

Am I right, or am I just being a little thick here?

[This message has been edited by Wittlich (edited May 05, 2001).]
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

quote:

This indicates to me that the windows program is compatible with DirectX technology.

Ahem...I think that is exactly what Ralf wanted to say...

------------------
                              Blah

Comment

I thought so, I just wanted to make sure I was on the same sheet of music here.

------------------
                                After all is said and done, usually more is said than done.
                                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                                X