Firaxis: Stop all information flow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studying best strategies right away ?

Sorry, but when I have the game in hands first I want to be amazed and want to say wow and uuuuhh and cool and whatever. And then I'd like to get into the game. Slowly! Realizing more concepts the more I progress.
    CtP2 had these cool things when you first sailed around the world and such. And it could have been much cooler, if I havent known right from the start that this feature would exist.
    Then I knew exactly when the city radius would increase. And I knew the interface from the screenshots and how to move units was all described. Its really boring when you know a game before you could even play it.
    Best thing was that I first saw it when my friend was playing it and he kept asking me things over things. And I explained him all. And then he meant that I must have played lots of games. Well, at that time, I havent played ONE game!

If a lot of things will be similiar to Civ2 then Civ3 will not be the game for me. I want to reexperience the civ genre! Not from scratch, but I dont want to browse the tech tree like I did in Civ2 for example. And I dont want to favor all the units I favored in Civ2.
    Maybe infantry units could made a bit stronger ? I found they were always too weak.

Hello Palpatine, btw

ATa

Comment

I really think Firaxis should consider this!

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more Atahualpa. I was nearly driven mad by closely following the development of Black & White, and the several release date slides were very upsetting.

However, there is a certain percentage of people who actually enjoy the development of a game, and the community that surrounds it, more than the actual game! From this point on, the hype is only going to snowball.

There is only one solution: that is self imposed ignorance. I am going to try my best to avoid the hype, and when I walk into my computer store and see it on the shelf - then I will check out previews etc.

So far, I am failing...

Bkeela.
        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Bkeela: I dont know about B&W, but I found it a very very disappointing game. I stopped playing after I completed the horrible 3rd world. After all I discovered B&W was more work than joy.

About Civ. Me too, I am trying to avoid as much news as possible, but then I always find myself clicking links with Civ3 info. Though I dont read any previews or such.

I am trying to do it this way: I close my eyes to all Civ3 news. I dont read any previews. I dont read every eeneeweenee feature that is published by Firaxis. Then when the game is out, I walk into the store, buy it, drive home and play. And then I will discover all those little featuers and such all for myself. And I will have much fun with the game, discovering new things every day.

Btw, it is WAY too early to start hyping Civ3. They should do this couple of months before the actual release.

And I thought, I would be stormed with "WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY MAN????" type of posts. Interestingly there are people who agree wholeheartly!

ATa

Comment

I'm not even boterhing to read most of the stuff in the prievews anymore. It's mostly all the same, and if there's anything new, I'm bound to see it in the news on Apolyton or in the top 10 or 20 threads. I'm making a point of not letting myself overkill it.
            - mkl

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
              And I thought, I would be stormed with "WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY MAN????" type of posts. Interestingly there are people who agree wholeheartly!
              ATa
              That's doesn't happened because we are mostly kind people, firmly believing into right of any person to have a different opinion, not to mention we all know very well it's always better do not contraddict any so evidently crazy person

(Just kidding, Ata, just kidding )
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

About those previews....

Sometimes I think the latest mag or site hasn't actually talked to the guys at firaxis, they just read some of the previews and wrote their own to match it.

that would explain why we don't get much new info.

BTW, when E3 is past, will we finally get something NEW??
                Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I guess that previews have started now, I would expect that we get a new game detail every two weeks until the game is out.

tThis makes the wait bearable for us without a life
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The world is full of information... some relevent, some not. A person who wishes to stay sane must also realize that much of this information is neither original or genuinely informative. Apolyton, like all other news organizations, should not be held responsible for the originality or actual importance of their reporting. They are doing what they set out to do. If you find there to be a problem with this, you should seriously reconsider reading the news section at all. If you are offended somehow, it's your fault.
                    Lime roots and treachery!
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Apolyton recently added its latest update -- its an exact replica of a previous preview they had on their site.

I know, because I looked at it, and it indeed, was the exact same article from the same source they had before.

The editors really need to do a better job than this.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Naismith: hehe

ATa

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                          Apolyton recently added its latest update -- its an exact replica of a previous preview they had on their site.

I know, because I looked at it, and it indeed, was the exact same article from the same source they had before.

The editors really need to do a better job than this.
                          Mr Fun, why does it make you mad? Just ignore it. Refer to my above post... News is an imperfect science.
                          Lime roots and treachery!
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

-= BUMP =-

Comment

Civ3 is months away . So in that time I'm going to have fun debating the game and all the info thats coming out, probably burn out on talking about it around the end of the summer, not touch the game and pick it up again right around release, so I get the best of both worlds, I got to argue over ever miniscule detail of the handful of known screenshots and previews, get to not think about the game for a few months, and then still be excited when the game actually ships, sometime before the next presidential election (I have no faith in seeing a holiday release).

Comment

No one is forcing anyone to read the news (or non-news previews). If you don't want more info, just don't read it, do something else. I'm sure you can think of other things to do with your time.

Sure, the premature hype may harm Firaxis' market plan, but that's their concern. Some people want the tidbits strung along to keep their interest up, Firaxis meets those needs (somewhat), and those who don't want, have the option of not paying attention. See, both sides win this way so why make one side lose?

As for me, I enjoy the discussions on these boards. Sure they're sometimes a bit repetitive but there's usually a new twist on things that might affect our opinions and just maybe it'll develop into better ideas. Of course there are things I don't care to discuss, but then I just don't read those threads.

After a while, I'll probably get tired of it too, but then I'll just stop posting and reading, do something else, and when interest perks up again, I'll return. In the meantime, it's fun!
                                Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                                Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                                Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                                Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Working...
                                X