I Want Paras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want Paras

I want Paratroopers in CivIII, They added a whole new dimension to the game.
    • It was more complicated to defend your cities and infrastructure when you if you had a city within 10 spaces, you could drop in a few paras and cut the rail/road link. This would be especially usefull to get the players defend outside their cities. If a para lands on a vital silk road and cuts it, your whole civ could go into disorder.
    • You could build para armies and drop the lot somewhere. A horde of paras dropping near one of your interior cities which is not defended can wreak havoc on your civ.
    • Increases the amount of different playing styles that exist. (eg. Send in lots of paras and cut all of the roads between the cities, then do an amphibious invasion.
    • Paras should be able to do a few 'engineer' type things. They should be able to build a weaker type of fortress (+25%)

Something that firaxis should add is the communication, organization, and tactics to the paras. When you first invent then, dropping them makes them lose 1/2 of their HP because lots of times they were scattered across half the contient, and many times they're parachutes didnt deploy. (see D-Day, and Operation Marketgarden, and the Invasion of Crete) With the invention of Jet Propultion, the paras should then lose 1/4 of their HP. Finally, with the advacne of Combined Tactics, your paras would not lose any HPs. When you first get them, paras should have a range of 10. With the advent of Jet Propulsion, this should be increased to 20.
    One more thing. Paras should be resonably strong (lets say 5/5, or 5/4) and shouldnt be too expensive. When in covered terrain, they cannot be subject to bombardment of any sort, and can lie hidden from anything except all types of infantry.

Tell me if this unit is too powerful.

------------------
    Goooooooooooood Morning Vietnam!
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Heh, in Finnish language Paras means 'the best', so the title had me wondering a bit

Still, it's important, either way.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

In slang greek Paras means money. So I agree 100% with the title «I want Paras»

Comment

That is way too powerful. Paratroops drop without heavy support armament and so, while well trained, are weaker than regular forces in a prolonged fight. Crete and Arnhem are good examples of what can happen if the enemy is able to react. They are not invulnerable to artillery either.

With civ preferring relatively small unit numbers and units fortified in cities and fortresses any unit that can drop and instantly cut communication lines is likely to be too unbalancing unless they introduce air interception. I hope they do.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia on 05-20-2001 01:55 PM
          Tell me if this unit is too powerful.

If the AI only could really use the para-unit intelligently. Too powerful? Well, a paratrooper should of course be able to take control over a defenceless city within the same turn. But it should NOT be able to land on any improved terrain-tile and pillage it within the same turn. It just have to wait until the next turn. This reflects the vulnerability of dropping ligthly armed soldiers from the sky in enemy territory.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 20, 2001).]

Comment

i know that Paras means the best in Finnish. Im half Finnish. Also, i agree with you Grumbold.

------------------
            Goooooooooooood Morning Vietnam!
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

GOod idea. I think they should be available earlier 2 if this idea is applied.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia on 05-20-2001 01:55 PM
                I want Paratroopers in CivIII, They added a whole new dimension to the game.

I'm not sure if Firaxis has stated which unite from Civ 2 will be deleated.
                However they did say that most units from Civ 2 are still in the game. So unless they tell us that Paratropper are gone don't worrie about them.

------------------

Comment

hey Paiktiss, how did you get the wizard on under your name?

Comment

Lawrence: Hit Control panel top of page. Then hit edit options, scroll down to botton and click on change avatar and have fun. All of Civ 2 icon are showen.

Comment

Thank you Josef

Comment

Why not an overhaul?

Why not add air transports to the game, and paratroopers would then be troops that could get off of the plane in mid-air. Other troops would have to unload at an airbase or city. Then, you would have to protect not only your paratroopers on the ground, but also your transports of units.

Comment

Re: Why not an overhaul?

Originally posted by Kyller
                          Why not add air transports to the game, and paratroopers would then be troops that could get off of the plane in mid-air. Other troops would have to unload at an airbase or city. Then, you would have to protect not only your paratroopers on the ground, but also your transports of units.
                          A very good idea. In CTP 1 the paratrooper turned into a C-5 few to the drop point and then return to a paratrooper landing in the drop zone.

Comment

A very good idea. In CTP 1 the paratrooper turned into a C-5 few to the drop point and then return to a paratrooper landing in the drop zone.
                            Yes, this wasn´t bad in CTP, but I would prefer real air transport units. For the paras, perhaps there should be a chance of some percent that they land in a slightly different square than desired, to reflect the difficulties of such operations in a war.
                            Blah

Comment

Kinda like what i suggeseted right?

Comment

Working...
                              X