Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culture Combat

According to GameSpot:

"If a border city of the opposing culture has very few cultural points, theres a strong chance that it will be assimilated into the dominant culture as the game progresses, eliminating the need for a military force to move in and conquer it."

Wow, I didn't realize this is how culture worked. That's pretty innovative.

Can you win by culture alone?

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 05-16-2001 04:04 PM
    According to GameSpot:
    Can you win by culture alone?

Hardly! But I agree - this culture subduing is a nice spin-off effect.

Comment

It's just an enhancement of the «The people of Sparta admire the prosperity of...».

Still the culture points system is quite revolutionary. It makes sense. It will make for a great game too

Comment

Is this for a a) border city that has few culture points, or a b) border city of a civilization that has few culture points? If (a) then wouldn't building any city in the mid- to late-game near an enemy be difficult? I used to build a city close to my next invasion point during Civ2 so that I could unload transports quicker before attacking.

Comment

I was under the impression that culture is a Civ-wide feature, not individual cities, was the preview saying as it is or am I reading into the wording too much? If it was individual cities, as a builder, why build cities in the mid- to end-game at all?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 05-16-2001 10:10 PM
            I was under the impression that culture is a Civ-wide feature, not individual cities, was the preview saying as it is or am I reading into the wording too much? If it was individual cities, as a builder, why build cities in the mid- to end-game at all?

In the mid to end game, your culture borders are very likely to form a large square. Just don't build new cities on the borders if you're afraid of your neighboring civ's culture. Instead, build it in the centre of your "culture square", and you'll have nothing to fear.

And if no one around has a greater culture than yours, you can happily expand then. At least that's how I see it. It would be cool.
            "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

i sense culture as being somewhat like it was in civ 1 only with real "parameters" and not randomness.....

ie citizens in York admire the prosperity of Boston.... you guyz remember this right ?

There wasn't culture in civ1 but the above statement as infrequent and random as it was did happen from time to time and this seems like an improvement on that system to me

Comment

Do you think we might get a diplomatic message like:

"Your culture is infringing on our culture. Please remove your culture from our borders immediately!"
                Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

...No!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Russell on 05-16-2001 10:59 PM
                    Do you think we might get a diplomatic message like:

"Your culture is infringing on our culture. Please remove your culture from our borders immediately!"

That brings up an interesting question: Does the assimilation occur withour warning?

Comment

If a city wants to join your empire due to your awesome culture, it should be optional to accept it or not, maybe you do not want it because it is behind your defensive lines, or you do not want problems with the owner of the revolters.

Comment

Imagine you and your allied civ are neighbours. What happends if you have a much higher culture rating than your life-long ally, and therefore consume some of his cities?! I can't imagine him getting very happy after you doing that.

Comment

Probably you won't be able to gain cities by culture from your allies. That would make for a good reason to ally with your more culturally powerful neighbors.
                          "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Quote: "Probably you won't be able to gain cities by culture from your allies. That would make for a good reason to ally with your more culturally powerful neighbors."

I agree, but still it should be up to the higher culture to accept or not the city into its Empire.It will sound strange that a "culturally superior" can not deny "membership" of its Empire. Nowadays it would be seen as a "Casus Belli" that a country accepts as part of it a region from other state. USA will not see with good eyes that the People from Oregon decides to leave the USA and join Canada because they admire the Canadian culture, and that Canada accepts them.

Comment

We can look at a real example in the United States in terms of cultural interaction and effects.

In the southwestern states, Mexican immigrants, (legal and illegal) are flowing steadily in from (surprise - Mexico). This area used to belong to Mexico, and now we see that demographics are ignoring the conquests that were made in 1848.

So, even though the United States conquered this area from Mexico, today, we have Mexican immigrants who have almost reclaimed it as part of Mexico today.

Wonder if this phenomenon of culture and demographics will be implemented effectively in Civilization III?

------------------
                              The Martians are out there somewhere, but where? Let's shoot lasers out into space until they shoot back.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X