Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Civ-3 game-interface with SKINS a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea but sounds like one of those things that are time consuming with marginal benifits. Though if there is enough custimizability then there could be full out CivIII mods in the style of FPSs and skinning would be a step in that direction.

Techinically you can "skin" SMAC in a similar way you can skin WinAmp by fiddling with graphics files. The process is just much much more painful. And you can't define clear zones in SMAC (at least I think you can't).
    I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

I'll chime in with a resounding "sure, why not". If they have time, but it's not a high priority of mine.

I don't think skins should modernize over time, though, unless they all move towards the same basic pattern: i.e. industrialized & modern cities in civII. And if they're civ specific they need to be more closely tuned in to each civ.

A thought just struck me: how about having skins "built" over time, ala the throne room? It could replace or enhance the throne room idea itself.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

quote:

A thought just struck me: how about having skins "built" over time, ala the throne room? It could replace or enhance the throne room idea itself.

Smart idea! I think is refreshing and interesting, but it haven't the same sense of accomplishment of the Civ Castle or (but I didn't liked too much) the throne room.

Thinking about how "puzzle like" where my Castle, I think that interface must be kept graphically coherent, or it will end to look very ugly on reviewers' screenshot

------------------
        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Please, no Windows interface!
          'We note that your primitive civil-^
          ization has not even discovered^
          $RPLC1. Do you care^
          to exchange knowledge with us?'^
          _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
          _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bagdar on 01-19-2001 06:18 AM
            Please, no Windows interface!

This thread is not primarily about if Civ-3 shall have a "MS Office-look", or not. Its about skins, there not only stuff like colours, patterns, styles, shapes is tweakable, but (maybe) also positions and placements of game-functions within each screen or tab. (well, i said maybe).

Dont just trash the idea instinctively. Bagdar. Even SMAC had many window'ish interface details like for example bottom-left menu-system ala Windows start-menu (although i prefer the Civ-2 upper-left menu-system, in Civ-3). CTP-2 had right-click menus (which i really hope that they incorporate in Civ-3 to).

Again, for those who havent clicked Neoplanet Internet explorer skins to discover how much that really can be done with skins; Do so now!

THEBEN quote: "I'll chime in with a resounding "sure, why not". If they have time, but it's not a high priority of mine."

I agree! This IS a secondary priority compared to "Make an interface that is easy to use and works well. ..., but make sure that the actual interface is easy to use and displays everything you need." (Tniem quote). Having said that however, i think it should be a interface-design priority nonetheless, although a secondary one.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited January 19, 2001).]

Comment

Cool idea! The option of different skins would give the individual player his/her personal touch to the game

Comment

Wittlich... There are polls in the forum and there are discussion forums. It seems that you have difficulty in seperating these two concepts. I will explain it for you. A poll is where you voice your opinion on a specific idea be it either good or bad. The discussion forums are for those who have something constructive to say on a specific subject. The discussion forums are not a place to spam out post saying who you agree with and who you don't unless you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to add to the discussion.
                In a few words: Stop with "yes I agree with XXX on this" posts!
                You know the question, just as I did.
                What is the matrix?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wittlich on 01-19-2001 11:21 AM
                  Cool idea! The option of different skins would give the individual player his/her personal touch to the game

I certainly agree. Thanks for the support! A short positive response is better then none at all, although some added comments with some new angles every now and then, doesnt hurt either. The latter is more "mandatory" if the response is negative - reading "what a crappy idea" without further explanations is not so fun.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited January 19, 2001).]

Comment

Ya winamp is a classic program with hundreds of skins. Also window blinds is another great program. It changes the look and feel of ALL applications.
                    Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
                    and kill them!

Comment

I'd rather get a feel of uniqueness and customisability from having the option to import unique unit and building graphics for each Civ and a "palace" screen that does not end up being identical at the end of every game. What colour or size each window has is of less importance to me. I'd rather Firaxis found one intuitive layout for all the buttons than tried different ones for each race. That was a gimmick I found more hurtful than helpful in BotF despite being atmospheric.
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Grumbold on 05-09-2001 08:29 AM
                        I'd rather Firaxis found one intuitive layout for all the buttons than tried different ones for each race. That was a gimmick I found more hurtful than helpful in BotF despite being atmospheric.

It doesnt have to be "one for each race", or "a new skin for each game-session". Also, the idea of interface-skins doesnt have to be forced upon the player. Dont like it? Fine - simply stick with the default Firaxis-choice, or perhaps with barebone MS Windows-style.

Finally, the team doesnt necessarily have to spend valuable developing-time on making several skins to be included with the initial release. They can just create the "hooks" for it - then add forthcoming interface-skins in conjunction with any follow-up Scenario addon-packages instead. Besides, most of the work will probably be done by graphically skilled Civ-game enthusiasts anyway.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS:

- If the whole thing is completely optional & bypassable, and...
                        - If Firaxis can DELAY most of this work until after the final release, in favour of more urgent and immediate design-tasks - then whats the problem?

Now, is it the "most important" upgrade there ever was? NO, certainly not.
                        Does it provide a new creative area for talented and graphically gifted Civers out there - something new, besides Scenario-making and Modpacks-creating? YES!!!

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 09, 2001).]

Comment

If they've balanced everything, given us a reward screen and made all the code fully customisable for the Mod community then yes, by all means lets have them do skins. I agree its a cool idea, just a real low priority one

To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

I'd like to have skins in civ3, but only if it doesn't hurt gameplay or delay the game's release.

------------------
                            "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
                            -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                            X