OMG! Never deal with the UN =/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! Never deal with the UN =/

I was nearly half an era ahead of everyong technologocially and I take a UN vote in 1850 and I LOSe the game grrr =/ Is it possible to load the save back and win?

Now I know why the USA hates the UN lol

it might be possible, if you have some saves: try getting RoPs/MPPs/per tur-deals one turn before the UN is completed, then make many gifts...et voilà everybody loves you. Of course, civs that you had many wars with will still not vote for you
    www.civforum.de

Comment

Yes, you can win with the UN. I've done it (a long time ago). Concentrate of gaining alliances and trading relationships in the 10 to 20 turns prior to the UN being built.

Then again... A cheesy trick is to figure out who is number 2 (assuming you are #1). That civ will be your competition in the vote. Go to war with them and enlist most other civs in militariy alliances against them. Your allies will vote for you, not them. et voila, Diplomatic victory.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

another one learns the hard way. Luckily by that point I was saving every turn, so a quick reload fixed that.

Comment

Build the UN, then don't call a vote. Ha ! That'll teach those peace mongers ! Then abandon the city. Thn Nuke everybody and take off in your spaceship. Next time the AI will learn to vote for you.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Does no one have the finesse to win by diplomacy?

I keep the UN as a bail out position to end games I do not want to continue. I can't imagine losing a vote. I figure if I lose on the UN, I don't deserve to win.

Can't you outsmart the AI at just this one issue?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: OMG! Never deal with the UN =/

Originally posted by Killazer

I was nearly half an era ahead of everyong technologocially and I take a UN vote in 1850 and I LOSe the game grrr =/ Is it possible to load the save back and win?

Now I know why the USA hates the UN lol
              hi ,

yes , just reload the auto save from the turn before , but the best is to reload from a couple turns before , ...

have a nice day at the UN
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                Does no one have the finesse to win by diplomacy? ... I can't imagine losing a vote. I figure if I lose on the UN, I don't deserve to win.
                Thank you!
                It's possible to play a very agressive game, fight a lot of wars, soundly defeat (not necessarily eliminate) several AI civs, and still win the UN vote. Or build the UN and use it as a fallback victory. Since I figured this out the worst I've done in a UN vote is a "no majority" - very disappointing.
                "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

I always get "no majority" (when I let them vote) I vote for me, my rival votes for themselves and everyone else abstains, even if they are "gracious" towards me. Grr. Nuke 'em. If you can build the UN, you can build the Manhattan Project. At this stage of the game its usually just playing it out for points/fun anyway.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I usually play games where other civs are always furious of me

This usually happens because I start wars with troops inside their territories and ending peace early if I see their military has gone weaker.

Especially after I learn the Ultimate Archer Rush strategy from this forum.

So Diplomatic Victory is not an option. Sure it's nice to trade for luxury, techs etc. But extortion feels muuuchhh nicer...

Comment

I think the UN should defenetly have more abilities than just winning a diplomatic victory. Why isnt there a vote for "Lets destroy the filthy germans because they broke a trade allianca and has nuclear weapons"

I think UN as a wonder is great, but the benefits and use of it has never been as great as they could be

and btw, diplomatic victory. Whats that. Ending a game when it starts getting fun.
                      to get away from the world, I use my computer.
                      to reach out to the world, I use the Internet.
                      To play the world, I use Civ III

Comment

I play on Tiny maps; and every time I've had a vote, all remaining AIs could vote for themselves and did.
                        So far in my tiny games, at least 1 AI is always killed before the modern era. Sometimes 2 of them are, like in my current game. (Actually; it's possible that I might win a domination victory as soon as the cities I recently captured get 100 points of culture each even if there is no additional wars with the Zulu.)
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Winning a UN victory "honestly" can be one of the most difficult, and rewarding, ways to play.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I forget, but wasn't it the UN in Civ2 that would let you force the other nations to declare peace? They used to pop up and threaten me and say if it was not for the UN I would blah blah blah. I guess I am going to have to fire up civ2 to get a refresher.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                              Winning a UN victory "honestly" can be one of the most difficult, and rewarding, ways to play.
                              Theseus to all the computer civs - "Honestly take all my money. It's a gift. No, it's no trick. Just remember who gave you all this money next turn when the UN calls a vote. Honestly."

BigD
                              Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

Working...
                              X