No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who feel I'm to old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one who feel I'm to old?

At the age of 22 I'm wondering when my interest in playing computer games like civilization will fade and die. It could be interesting to know a bit about civ-players across the globe. How old are we? What do we do besides playing games? Are we just a bunch of childish grown-ups that likes to escape from a boring and tiresome world? Are there any female fans of the games, and why do we love this game so much?? Anyone?
    We shall go on till the end,
    We shall fight in France,
    We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
    We shall defend our island,
    Whatever the cost may be,
    We shall fight on the beaches,
    We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    We shall fight in the hills,
    We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Well Richard, I'm going on 39 and the thirst for Civilization is still going strong inside me!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Wittlich on 04-13-2001 07:23 PM
      Well Richard, I'm going on 39 and the thirst for Civilization is still going strong inside me!

Then I have nothing to fear! Except perhaps loosing my job and girlfriend if I take it to far...

We shall go on till the end,
      We shall fight in France,
      We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
      We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
      We shall defend our island,
      Whatever the cost may be,
      We shall fight on the beaches,
      We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
      We shall fight in the hills,
      We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

Richard, I just turned 23 last month, so I'm in the same boat you are. As long as you're still able to get outside and be active every so often, who gives a rats a$$ what you do with your free time.

Comment

Well we had this discussion a while back, oh well. I just turn 57 on the 28 of March and been playing computer games since 1984 when I bough a Com-64. In the other thread about age, I was the oldest listing his age. There may be older player but they will not state their age. Also on the tread about who has played most of Sid games I was either at the top or very close to the top of number of games played that where made by Sid. I still have Civ 1 in DOS and Win., CivNet, Civ 2, 2 ea., Civ MGE, 2 ea., TOT, 2 ea. I keep 1 MGE & TOT at my daughter house, so I can play there if I feel like it. For real I have to many games, there are about 100 games behind me and I gave away around 50 or more to the school that I now work at and 20 to the boy & girl club and than I gave 18 games to a friend last summer. I kind of wish now that I did not give them away. Most of those games were DOS games.

------------------

Comment

I'm 23, male, and a university undergrad student going for a History major. Plus, I do a physical workout three days a week. I'm also setting plans to become a novelist as well as a college/university instructor in History.

And of course -- I still make some time for Civilization games!
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm feeling underage, I am just 15.
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Look at it this way Henrik, you still have years and years of civ play ahead of you!
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 04-13-2001 10:45 PM
                  I just turn 57 on the 28 of March and been playing computer games since 1984 when I bough a Com-64...

Hi Joseph, here's another of the 50's club to join you! I turn 53 this May, and have been playing comp. games since we bought our first computer in 1986 (a Sharp 5000, 8-line screen and all of 56K memory!). I've also played Civ since Civ1 - I still remember vividly 'discovering' it on a friend's computer when we were visiting for a couple of weeks in 1994, and getting so utterly hooked I played it night after night into the early hours of the morning, and was a total washout socially during the day!

I think this is one of the greatest tributes there could be to the enduring
                  value of Civilization, that it can so totally fascinate people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
                  [This message has been edited by Ilkuul (edited April 15, 2001).]
                  Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                  Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

Take a look here: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum...01055.html?127

Comment

I would like to think that PC Gaming is a hobby that has no age limits! Especially strategy gaming for that matter. I'm 20 and I play Civ & Civ II (and pretty soon Civ III!!!) cuz I like the idea of ruling an country. In other words, I do it for the power trip. Oh man, I can just imagine myself as Lord and Master of Canada! How cool would that be?

Comment

I'm 43 and started playing strategy wargames when I picked up a copy of Avalon Hill's 'Blitzkrieg' in the early '70s. I continued to dabble in board wargames except for a stint in the army where I dabbled in wargames...I tried to look as much like a square cardboard unit counter as I could . It was the middle '90s before I picked up my first comp and I feel like I'm still going strong, enjoying the hobby. So King Richard, if you're concerned some wierd thing happens to older human brains that shuts off the love of a good game, this thread should give you heart.

Soldier on!
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Comment

I would have to believe that the age group that is posting on this forum and is going to purchase Civ III is a great deal older than those playing most games on average. Civ takes a lot of thought and strategy and while I'm only 18, I know a lot of my friends cannot match me in MP games. They just don't plan out their moves with as much thought. They can however, kill me in click fests.

So to all you 'old' people out there. I hope when I get to be your age I am still playing computer games like Civ.
                            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Me? I'm 29 and I've been playing Civ games for the last ten years or so (whenever the first one came out). I haven't gotten tired of it, in fact the more I play, the more interested I get.

As for the average age of the Civ gamer, yes I believe that the average age, intelligence level and education is much greater than most games out there.

For instance, I also post occasionally on the DiabloII boards (as well as play on-line) and I would say a great deal of players are under 20. Simply from the off-topic comments that others make. Furthermore, I find that the rhetoric on those boards is mundance and inadventently droll. Most wouldn't understand that last sentance.

It is very refreshing to see a community that is so well educated discussing one of the best games out there!

Zardos

Comment

Working...
                              X