No announcement yet.

Naming units in PTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be cool if you could put armies within other armies in the game. I mean, who could stop you?
    Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
    Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

Centauri18,
      Yep it would be cool. Unfortunately, it is almost pointless because while you can make bigger "Army" units, you still share all HP. The unfortunate part is that an "Army" has a max of 100 units, and there is a max of 4096 units on the map at one time.
      Flash
      Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
      the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

There's a max of 4096???? Dammmmit. For once I thought a civ game would have no max. Firaxis should not penalize you with a unit max, this penalty should be a slower game.

I once had almost 1000 units in a Civ2 game, I haven't finished a HUGE game in Civ3 but I would imagine it possible to have at least twice that.

As for the unit size debate, I agree that in Standard maps and above, the basic unit should be a regiment/brigade. Even in a huge map, batallion is too small.
        A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I name my ships (always play as the Aztecs modded to be Mexicans):

Carriers: presidents and leaders or dates
          Battleships: names like Colossus, Invincible
          Cruisers: non-president famous people and artists
          Destroyers: Mexico City neighborhoods and streets
          Submarines: cities or states (if carrying a nuke)
          Transports: saints

I usually start naming ships as saints since they are Galleys since they eventually end up as transports. I start naming Frigates since I mod the game to be able to upgarde them to Destroyers.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Master Zen,
            You make a good point, Maybe regiment size would be better for bigger maps. I'm actually working on a 360 x 360 map myself.
            Flash
            Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
            the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Right now I am playing a Small map and find Division-size to be best

Usually, however, i play on a Huge 240x192 map I made and Regiment/Brigade seems best.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help, I ended up naming every thing to regiment.

As for the naming conventions for ships (while playing America, because this would be hard to do with other countries)
                Frigates (FF)- After the first real life American Frigates
                Galleons (GL)- Sec. of State
                Ironclads (AC)- Presidents
                Destroyers (DD)- Sec. of the Navy
                Battleships (BB)- Presidents
                Carriers (CV)- Real life CV's
                Submarines (SS/N)- Cites
                Crusiers (CG)- Major Battles

I tried to keep to real life conventions in ship naming.
                Last edited by trevor; February 7, 2003, 16:25.
                Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
                If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
                If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
                  Master Zen,
                  You make a good point, Maybe regiment size would be better for bigger maps. I'm actually working on a 360 x 360 map myself.
                  360x360 is pretty big. Haven't played on a map of that size (too slow on my PC) so maybe batallion size level would not be too unreal.

I've also read that there's a max of about 4000 units allowed so even if the map's big you won't be able to make so many units

Comment

Originally posted by trevor
                    Thanks for all of your help, I ended up naming every thing to regiment.

As for the naming conventions for ships (while playing America, because this would be hard to do with other countries)
                    Frigates (FF)- After the first real life American Frigates
                    Galleons (GL)- Sec. of State
                    Ironclads (AC)- Presidents
                    Destroyers (DD)- Sec. of the Navy
                    Battleships (BB)- Presidents
                    Carriers (CV)- Real life CV's
                    Submarines (SS/N)- Cites
                    Crusiers (CG)- Major Battles

I tried to keep to real life conventions in ship naming.
                    US naming Conventions that were used from the 1900's to the 1970's ( at which tme the Navy broke tradition by naming Nuclear submarnes after US cities, Ticonderoga Class Cruisers after major battles as well as US Naval Installations. and Carriers after presidents and US Naval Admirals.) are as follows:

DD-s were named after Heroic Naval officers
                    Cruisers- Named after major cities.
                    Battleships- Named after states
                    Carriers- Historic US Navy ships (such as USS Essex and USS Enterprise) or major battles or in the case of one Midway class a US president (USS Franklin Delano Roosevelt)
                    Subs- named after marine lifeforms (shark, manta ray, sea wolf and sea lion were popular names in WWII)
                    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I always only named the units which gave me a GL, usually choosing it from a TV series or movie, like "Band of Brothers" or "Private Ryan".

Of course, I wanted to name all my units in PTW, but never took the time to do it. The names would be usually something like 1st Defenders, 30th Cavalry, 1847th Smashing Tank, with the usual expert hero, which would receive a nonsense name like Friends, That 70's Show, Scrubs, or perhaps C.S.I. or Family Law.

Naming the 1st worker Bob is a great idea! I thinnk I will give workers family names like Silvas, Schneiders, Smiths, Piccolis and Klingons.

Comment

Ivs only named armies, Ive yet to name a regular unit, though I may one day.
                        Libertas inaestimabilis res est.
                        (Liberty is a thing beyond all price.)
                        ~Corpus Iuris Civilis: Digesta

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi
                          Klingons.
                          "Klingons": I like that. I don't usually use captured workers (they are so slow to do anything), so I put them in my capital and sell them off. I think I'll start naming them Klingons. Thanks.--RMDS
                          "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

hi ,

what we really need is a special type of UU , example ;

take the Iowa battleship class , we should be able to build lets say a special battleship that has more power then a regular one , ....

some nations who come to mind with this , the US and japan , the UK and the germans , ....

so next to regular battleships we should get the hood , the Iowa , the tirpitz , etc , ....

there are other units we can this with also , ... special water boats , unique tanks , planes , etc , ....

and for some mods and scenario's we should be able to use several of these , ....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

We should have a SMAC type system which would enable each country to have variations on equipment.

So we could design a battleship on the basis of armor, main armament, speed, etc...

Just an idea

Comment

I sometimes name units that are important.....like a galley or another ship that explores the ocean for me, or a scout.

What I wish is that you could group units and lock them together, like in CTP2.....I used to love naming various armies or fleets

Comment

Working...
                                X