Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:

Originally posted by Cannes on 04-13-2001 12:33 PM
    I don't understand why some of you take an almost fanatic stance in the keeping everything like it was in civII. CivIII will be a new game build on the same concept of CivII. Expect changes! If you are so fanatic about keeping everything as it was in CivII Then why develop CivIII at all? What if Sid Meyer desides that he likes the idea of public works over settler/engineers/terraformers/whatever. What are you fanatics going to do? Lynch him? For prostituting himself with activision concepts? I personally prefer public works because it's easier to manage, it's more realistic and more intuitive. If you want to keep settlers/etc. then come up with some arguments why you think they work better instead of grabbing a torch and a coil of rope, screaming: "we want everything as it used to be!"

I'm not that much of a fanactic about workers VS PW, but there is one restriction that PW gives that workers solve.

IF there is no unit on the board then PW must have a restriction on where you can do inprovements. Say there are no retrictions, than I could place a fortification right next to my enemies city and attack from there. PW does have some restrictions which is how it was used in CTP.

Comment

• quote:

Originally posted by Cannes on 04-13-2001 12:33 PM
      I don't understand why some of you take an almost fanatic stance in the keeping everything like it was in civII. CivIII will be a new game build on the same concept of CivII. Expect changes! If you are so fanatic about keeping everything as it was in CivII Then why develop CivIII at all?

We do expect changes, and I could easily argue that no person on these forums wants civ 3 to be exactly like civ 2. Each person has some things that they would like improoved, some things which they don't really care about, and some things that they liked the way it was. Everyone can agree that there is at least one thing in all the previous civs that can be improoved upon in civ 3

quote:

What if Sid Meyer desides that he likes the idea of public works over settler/engineers/terraformers/whatever.

The problem with this statement is that if Sid had wanted PW, then PW would be in civ 3, but he and the rest of the firaxis staff agreed that they would use a settler/worker system. I am mearly supporting this statement to the best of my ability. If they had said PW I would go with PW, but they said settler/engineer, so why can't you PW fanatics just live with it.

quote:

What are you fanatics going to do? Lynch him? For prostituting himself with activision concepts? . . . then come up with some arguments why you think they work better instead of grabbing a torch and a coil of rope, screaming: "we want everything as it used to be!"

I reflect this statement back to you. You already have my answer.
      I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

• quote:

...CivIII will be a new game build on the same concept of CivII. Expect changes!
        Of course everyone wants a "Civ 3" and not the same old "Civ 2" ideas. But settlers are not included in the "2" in "Civ 2," the "3" in "Civ 3," or even in the "1" in "Civ 1." Settlers are a basic part of the Civ in each of these three names. That's why PW will remain an idea in CTP, where it rightly should be.

[This message has been edited by raingoon (edited April 13, 2001).]

Comment

• I don't understand why some of you take an almost fanatic stance in the keeping everything like it was in civII. CivIII will be a new game build on the same concept of CivII. Expect changes! If you are so fanatic about keeping everything as it was in CivII Then why develop CivIII at all? What if Sid Meyer desides that he likes the idea of public works over settler/engineers/terraformers/whatever. What are you fanatics going to do? Lynch him? For prostituting himself with activision concepts? I personally prefer public works because it's easier to manage, it's more realistic and more intuitive. If you want to keep settlers/etc. then come up with some arguments why you think they work better instead of grabbing a torch and a coil of rope, screaming: "we want everything as it used to be!"
          You know the question, just as I did.
          What is the matrix?

Comment

• Settlers/Engineers are good in the early game. I'll head to a new site and build road on a few select tiles while on the way. This does delay the date of the Founding of a new city, but it helps to connect everything and to give the new city some improved tiles to work off of until it's ready to spawn another settler to finish the improvements.

I do like the Idea of using two pop to build a settler/engineer, but I'm not sure of the Public Works concept. If they have a seperate unit for building from the settler, I'd still like to see the settler still be able to build something, at 1/3 of the worker rate though. This will still allow some faster improvement thoughput while my Civ is in it's early stages.

As for trade and using settlers to move pop from one city to another, I'd like to see the ability to set up some sort of colinization "trade" where you can migrate some of your excess pops to a new city. Just make sure that they don't contribute to ANYTHING while they are in transit.
            Come and see me at WePlayCiv
            Worship the Comic here!
            Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Working...
            X