No announcement yet.

Interview with Sid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

''I was thinking something along the lines of a Railroad Tycoon II 3-D surface would look really nice and work really well.''

I have played only the original Tycoon then got the civ bug and never got around to getting II.

Since they have the code you just might be right.

Does everyone else think that II terrain is good for Civ III??

Comment

I agree. I hope it'll be at least that good. Especially I hope the continents look like real continents, a la Civ I. NOT like in Civ 2, please!!!

Comment

Civ1 maps rule!!!!!

Comment

I never played Civ1, but I'd agree that the Civ2 continents didn't really look 'continent-ish' as we'd think of them in terms of the Earth. Did Civ1 kinda look more 'continent-ish'? Raingoon??
          If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by GaryGuanine on 03-24-2001 04:55 AM
            Civ1 maps rule!!!!!

I have maybe misunderstood you Gary, but do you want that flat map with those square units???? Maybe I'm dumb, but...... I am!

------------------
            Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Zanzin, Civ I maps looked much more like continents. At first I thought the isometric perspective of Civ 2 made its continents look more stringy but even if you flattened out Civ 2 and made it like Civ I, the land masses would still look more like a world of large and small islands with no definitive oceans in between. If anything got me off Civ 2 it was the scarcity of real oceans and the predominance of those globule strings of land. No matter what variables I set Civ 2's map generator at, it never came close to matching the ability of Civ I's map generator to evoke a real world.

Comment

Raingoon,

thanks for the info.

WEll, Sid said in the interview that their resident mathematician had come up with a great algorithm that creates random maps....lets hope so!
                If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

I read Sid Meier's interview, but frankly, I did not find any new information from it. I did learn anything that I did not already know from the forum.

oh well (sigh)
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Zanzin, you're welcome -- I agree, I was encouraged by that quote. MrFun, I had the same impression from the "interview" although Zanzin just reminded me of at least one thing that seemed new. Hey, Sid, baby, I hope that's one wicked, wicked map algorythm!

Comment

quote:

Civ III will cover from 4000BC to somewhere around the year 2020.

Thank God for that!!! Keep those SciFi futuristic fantasies in some really good addon scenarios instead. I havent posted here for a while, but that single piece of Civ3-update was really welcoming and reassuring.

Comment

That whole interview is a scam, exept for the "console vs. pc" sentence. Sid (or whoever wrote the interview) just copy-pasted the info that was standing on the web for weeks, down to a sentence.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by VetLegion on 03-25-2001 05:41 AM
                          That whole interview is a scam, exept for the "console vs. pc" sentence. Sid (or whoever wrote the interview) just copy-pasted the info that was standing on the web for weeks, down to a sentence.

and it took such a long time for someone to realize!
                          'We note that your primitive civil-^
                          ization has not even discovered^
                          $RPLC1. Do you care^
                          to exchange knowledge with us?'^
                          _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
                          _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

We finally have a count on some of the civs that will be in. Here's whp Firaxis has shown or mentioned thus far: the Americans, Zulus, French, Chinese, English, Iroquois (New!), and Russians. Any others we're sure of?
                            Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. And perhaps everyone else, too.

Comment

quote:

Civ III will cover from 4000BC to somewhere around the year 2020.

Yes!!!!!
                              Rome rules

Comment

This Sid interview make me fear alot about mentioned "light heart" elements added for Fun.

After months of debate here at Apolyton about CIV III realism and best balancing history vs playability, I have a strange feeling of incoming Civ III great hopes derailing for unnecessary humor just in sake of larger impulsive buyers audience...

You know, that gaming debate Deja Vu about "Wars are so more fun", "Smiling leaders" that add special effects (Magic? Super human? ) to your army...

Quotes a la SMAC are ok, but a despot that tell jokes or looks and acts like a Joker? Is the Epic of Civilization running head down to a wall?

May be it's only because today I'm in a bad mood...

------------------
                                Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                                [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited March 26, 2001).]
                                [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited March 26, 2001).]
                                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                                X