Interview with Sid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Sid

The interview Gamespot UK have had with Sid is really interesting and informative, just look at this quotes:

About leaders:

quote:

Great nations can produce gifted leaders from history, each one capable of leading your civilization to martial glory. Whether helming an army on a distant battlefield or passing their personal experiences onto future generations of soldiers, these towering figures can single-handedly alter the course of history.

And:

quote:

This is a very cool new part of the game. As you enter into diplomatic relations with other Civs, a leader representing that Civ will appear (like Abraham Lincoln for the Americans or Mao Tse Tung for the Chinese) who you'll be able to interact with during your negotiations. The leaders will show a range of expressions, which will change depending on the types of deals you try to broker with them!

As you can see, the leaders can lead you to martial glory, that will end some of the discussion on that, or?

About the timespan:

quote:

Civ III will cover from 4000BC to somewhere around the year 2020. The game will offer several ways to win, so the ultimate objective will depend on which pathway to victory you choose (we'll talk more about new ways to win in an upcoming website update).

About multiplayer(not much):

quote:

We're working on a really fun and unique multiplayer concept that we'll talk more about when we're closer to completing it.

That was the most important(in my eyes) updates. Well guys, what do you think?

------------------
    Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

To me the new happy thing was effictive extorsion

quote:

Want to offer a Peace Treaty to the Iroquois, but only if they will pay five gold pieces per turn? Just make the demand.

I like this...
    And also

quote:

For example, your relations with the Zulus might include a peace treaty as well as a mutual protection pact, a right of passage agreement, and a trade embargo against the French.

Good news indeed

Personally I am a little afraid of "Great leaders" and theire effect. I hope they will not have a too big influence.

Oh, one has to wonder what kind of terrain system they really have?

Comment

I'm worried about the terrain as well. I think we can all agree we're sick of diamond tiles. A 3-D map would be nice. But I was looking at screenshots of Gettysburg and Anietam and, frankly, the 3-D terrain in those titles looked pretty horrible.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Railroad Tycoon II 3-D surface would look really nice and work really well.
      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

In the Interview he also states that there will be a site update soon
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Firaxis has nothing to do with Railroad Tycoon II. Hasbro (at the time) consented to Poptop's use of that game name, and Poptop is the company who owns that code -- which it appears IS making another appearance, underneath their new game coming out next month, called "Tropico."

The thing I didn't like about this "interview" is the apparent cribbing of some of the answers from Firaxis press releases. The only thing I noticed that was really new was... actually, I'm not entirely sure I haven't seen all of it before. I assume this is because of Meier's sticking to the script himself, and not G-spot repurposing old information.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by raingoon on 03-23-2001 01:25 PM
            Firaxis has nothing to do with Railroad Tycoon II.

Well, it's the same programersm, right (I could be wrong I never played Railroad Tycoon II)?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai on 03-23-2001 12:30 PM
              That is absolutely important. I wonder of what they have to us this time?:shaking of exitement: Maybe some screenshots?(Dan, Dan, are you listening?)

I'm *ALWAYS* listening =) but there are a lot of things I can't control. When we release screenshots is one of those things.

Dan
              Firaxis Games, Inc.

Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.
              --------------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 03-23-2001 04:14 PM
                I'm *ALWAYS* listening =) but there are a lot of things I can't control. When we release screenshots is one of those things.

Dan
                Firaxis Games, Inc.

Could you leak when the site is to be updated?

Comment

quote:

Well, it's the same programersm, right (I could be wrong I never played Railroad Tycoon II)?

Nope, no connection whatsoever.

Comment

Oh well

Comment

I wasn't saying there was a connection between Firaxis and Railroad Tycoon II. I was saying however that RR2 had some sexy 3-D terrain, and maybe that's how Civ3 is going to look...maybe!! I don't know, I'm not god, I don't hold the answers to the mysteries of the universe!!!

Lol, and going by what Dan said about screenshots, it looks like we're in for a long wait ( Sigh
                      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

While obviously they can't exactly use RR tycoon II terrain, they should use something that looks like it.
                        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

The MOST encouraging thing I heard was that throwaway comment about "trade embargo against the french"

That means that trade sanctions will probably be a part of this game. I don't know how many times I got teed off because a civ I'm at war with goes and makes a lucrative trade route with one of my cities, and I want to cut them off...
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 03-23-2001 08:17 AM
                            In the Interview he also states that there will be a site update soon

That is absolutely important. I wonder of what they have to us this time?:shaking of exitement: Maybe some screenshots?(Dan, Dan, are you listening?)

------------------
                            Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
                            [This message has been edited by Nikolai (edited March 23, 2001).]
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Fun and unique multiplayer

That's the part I'm happiest to hear...maybe we'll get a decent system for asynchronous (aka server-based or PBEM) playing!

Comment

Working...
                              X