Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a navy is sometimes very important...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the Americans get F15's they still only have a 50% chance on intercepting bombers. But they do usually build quite a few if they have the necessary strategic resources. If you can't cut off the resources then it is best to wait for stealth.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
      If the Americans get F15's they still only have a 50% chance on intercepting bombers. But they do usually build quite a few if they have the necessary strategic resources. If you can't cut off the resources then it is best to wait for stealth.
      F15 cost 100
      B cost 100
      Stealtn B cost 240

F15 @ 50% means 1 bomb raid free and next will be either reduced HP's or gone. Makes for a very expensive bombardment action: 100 shields/strike.

F15 @ 5% means 19 free stealth raids and
      then either reduced HP's or unit gone. Still expensive: 240 shields for 19 strikes, or about 12 shields per strike.

Since strikes are somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 chance of any effect, it makes this very expensive way to fight a war. Up to 150 shields for an effective bombing run.

BTW, I thought intercept probability was more like 35-40% instead of 50%. Or is F15 higher?

As you may have guessed, I used to use bombers a lot, but have reduced to using more navy and land forces because of the ongoing maintenance costs of having fun with air units.

-- PF

Comment

Hey planetfall, great checklist. Ive adopted it as my base invasion plan.....as compared to the shootfromthehip style I used before :-)

Comment

Romanus,

Thanks.

I don't use a physical checklist but it is the things I check
          before I start an across the water invasion. It should help improve your success rates. I got tired of losing too many pieces in a foiled invasion.

Sometimes I will push before having 5 unit/turn capability, it all
          depends on the game.

Other variations you can use,
          1. instead of airports, can use galleons/transports if other land mass is within range of vessel. But usually other land mass is more than 7 tiles away.

2. If close enough, you can also skip carriers and air support.

In my games the other continent is usually 3-4 movement turns away so I need the entire list ready before warfare.

Oh, it does not seem to matter if you do

A. 2 landing zones in one turn, or
          B. 2 landing zones within 3 turns.

But hostile landings usually work best if 2 target zones. If AI removes one, you still have a presence on foreign continent. In a couple of games the AI was so strong, I had to go to one landing zone and use all 5 transports to one zone instead of 3 to one and
          2 to another.

== PF

Comment

I think your last tip was something I didnt do in the past and led to many a failed invasion. Newbie mistakes I guess. I would drop my invasion forces in basically the same spot.
            Even though I hear some people say the game lacks real strategy/tactics in its war component, I disagree. Maybe it doesnt compare to the Total War RTS games, but it wasnt intended to. At least I enjoy it as is, although if you've ever played CTP2, it has a nifty combat popup screen/system.
            Anyway, "I am Emperor Romanus of the Romans, not General Maximus......I plan the invasions and fund them, its up to my Legions to carry it out. Now, bring me females!"

Comment

Originally posted by Romanus
              Now, bring me females!"
              Sounds like Quark. A Roman emperor would want more.

== PF

Comment

planetfall...awesome tips there and I like the checklist! I am definitely going to give that some thought next time. Full details about my last game and a minimap is in these 3 threads...

Check them out, it was an interesting game but turned to a complete disaster in the end.
                -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceBimz
                  planetfall...awesome tips there and I like the checklist! I am definitely going to give that some thought next time. Full details about my last game and a minimap is in these 3 threads...

Check them out, it was an interesting game but turned to a complete disaster in the end.
                  Bimz,

Look at your own analysis:
                  China-- large navy, more advanced.
                  Babylon-- powerful, large and powerful navy
                  Amer--ton of techs, more advanced, fairly powerful navy.

Your basic problem is you let America goad you into a war you couldn't win. Look at resources:

Greece (you)-- 9 cities
                  Babylon-- 27 cities
                  China-- 21 cities
                  Amer-- 7 cities

Who are your biggest threats?
                  Babylon-- most powerful and staging city close to your continent
                  China-- 2nd most powerful with 2 staging continents so they can conduct an invasion from the south and the east.
                  America--smaller but long ways away, even with equality in techs and Magellan, it will take you 4-5 turns to move one ship from Greece to America. This is a long supply route, and easy to break.

What will AI do?

Babylon--
                  Won't take on China first but rather Greece or America. Let's see who is weaker in techs and closer in geography and will allow me to get closer to China?

China--
                  Won't take on Babyblon but either Greece or America.

America--
                  Needs land. China and Babylon won't give, therefore, Hello Greece.

What could have been a more productive strategy?

1. Ignore American goading. {For now, later raze all their cities as punishment, if you like}

2. Get MPP with Babylon if possible.

3. Build more cities. You have room for at least 8 minicities in your area of influence. You don't care they won't grow. You only want 2-4 tiles/mini city. Mini city produces only: library/barracks/military units {maybe temple/happiness improvement if needed. careful the mini cities are temporary cities and you will want to abandon them later for current primary cities}

4. Review what happened before 1973.
                  A. How did Babylon get to have a presense so close to you?
                  B. Are you trading luxuries with Babylon or China? big mistake. Ok for America but not the biggies.
                  C. How did china get the continent below you without any other civ there? You do not want any civ to have 2 entire continents.

5. Primary target should have been South China. Only 6 cities. If you attack from North, your supply route is only 1-2 turns. Babylon could attack from the West and America from the East.

6. Pick a civ to work on and do it.
                  1. First get close to tech parity, or at least get military to average strength.
                  2. Pick a civ to battle. I would choose China as they are closest to you and you have had trouble with them for a long time.
                  3. If can't get MPP with Babylon, you should be able to get MPP with America.
                  4. AFTER have MPP, goad China into attacking you. {You can use the methods used by america vs you.}

7. Once you have the South continent, make some good trades with China and then get
                  China/America and yourself to gang up on Babylon. You want to force WW on Babylon and make them revert to communism.

8. Ask for advise much earlier than 1973. Critical period is between 1500-1700. After that, it is just finishing the won game.

Hope you are doing better on your current game.

Good luck.

== PF

Comment

Bimz,

Further notes:

1. Don't need the check list for China as supply route is too short, only need for long supply chains, i.e., Babylon and America in your game.

2. Also before declare war vs America. Remember they can buy tech if needed for infantry. This late it is too risky to attempt an invansion with only cannon,rifleman, etc. Assume you will need at least: infantry/artillery. If others have carriers, you can assume America will have/soon have-- BS, carriers. infantry.

== PF

Comment

Babylon landed a settler and put a city there while I was fighting China. The continent that is to the south of me was once all part of Japan. China waged war with Japan and took it all over via invasion fleets. There is a very small 2 square island with a city just to the east of this continent, I owned it for a short while. Then China landed and took it over. I was going to use that island for a naval base to attack America. Plus it contained Japan's last city and I was at war with them very early on and conquered it putting Japan out of the game. Although I lost the game I had alot of fun I just started a new game, this one is a crowded one. Like 4 nations in an area near each other me being one of the four. Seems hard to gain ground in this new game here. I always play all settings on random so I don't know if its a water heavy map or not. I have to wait until I explore. Anyway I will definitely keep those tips in mind while I play this game. If its starts getting ugly on me I will post before it gets out of control...lol
                      -PrinceBimz-

Comment

just a quick note about an enemy AI with strong air defenses. You don't have to completely forget about using bombers. Bombers are very powerful to have and IMO should always be there to attack the enemy.

The way to reduce the enemy fighter presence is to send your own fighters on bombing runs. This draws out the enemy fighters. Since your sending out fighter to bomb first, this weakens and often destroys enemy units. So then when you followup on your bombers, you'll suffer less losses. a 4HP bomber being intercepted by a Jet with 1HP is real good odds.

This worked really good in a pacific war scenario I made several months ago, where most of the game depends on naval and air strenght. So after getting the intial naval forces ready (bombers/jets/ships), I would then keep a few cities dedicated to fighters/jets building (1 or 2 turns for a new unit, pretty fast for replacements) and a lesser amount of cities to build bombers.

Comment

I totally agree about that. Sending fighters on bombing runs is a good idea. Alot of times I have my carriers loaded with fighters only. Many of times it is not even jets, just basic prop fighters. I do this for many reasons, one for bombing as you mentioned, the other for recon, then for air superiority. I like fighters for their abilty to fly many types of missions. A Pacific War scenario? I would like to play that, maybe you can post it up?
                          -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Working...
                          X