14 POLL: "unique benefits depending on the Civilization you choose"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

"The historical precedent for this would be the English, who were basicly unbeatable until the more than met their match in the war of 1812. "

Off the top of my head, the "English" are the people who occupy the largest part of the British Isles and have been invaded, conquered, occupied (in whole or part) and generally roughly handled by the Romans, Saxons, Irish, Norse, Vikings and Normans to name but a few. If civ3 can somehow model that and still allow them to later grow into an imperial power I will be mightily impressed! Personally I expect we'll never know because most players would have restarted at or before 50 A.D

To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Off the top of my head, the "English" are the people who occupy the largest part of the British Isles and have been invaded, conquered, occupied (in whole or part) and generally roughly handled by the Romans, Saxons, Irish, Norse, Vikings and Normans to name but a few.

Off the top of my head, the "English" are Saxons( +Angles +Jutes +Frisians +Whatever) who dispaced Celts (as in Welsh, Britons, Scots, Picts, and Irish) and were for brief periods of time ruled by Romans and Vikings (Danes, Norwegians, Normans).

------------------
      St. Leo
      http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Biddles on 01-23-2001 07:26 PM
        Contrary to popular(american) belief, the war of 1812 was merely a sideshow to the napoleonic wars. Besides, nobody won the war of 1812, it ended in compromise.

Actually, at least some of us Americans are well informed. Not really a compromise, more of a standoff that nobody could win. The British Parliament backed down on impressment policies (although ironically this happened several days BEFORE we declared war, due to poor communication) but they got to burn down our capital. Mostly, it was just a morale booster for us due to the Battle of New Orleans, which would have been a decisive victory for us but for the fact it was fought a few days AFTER the treaty to end the war was signed. Although the causes of the war of 1812 sprang from British policy during the Napoleonic Wars, it was not part of it. And it certainly wasn't a sideshow to the Americans.

Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

It seems the idea to have benefits arrive with experience is quite popular. I think Firaxis knows what to do now.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

we got Brian Reynolds to answer on the issue...
            http://apolyton.net/misc/interviews/bhg_breynolds.shtml

Comment

Sorry, sideshow was probably the wrong word to use. I was meaning that 1812 was pretty much inconsequential to the european powers since they were more worried about what was happening to them. (And I didn't want it to mean that it was "a sideshow"to americans)
              - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
              Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

The more options you give us, the more of us you will please!

Who says you can't please everyone?

Comment

Actually I don't like options. I think there should be an option button that turns them off.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

How about trade options? I'd like to sell AT&T short...
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Where could I find some more information about that presumed war between the British and the Americans in 1812? I, nor my history teacher, has ever heart before of that war or a 'Battle of New Orleans'. That unimportant it must have been!
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• quote:

Originally posted by M@ni@c on 02-02-2001 04:17 PM
                        Where could I find some more information about that presumed war between the British and the Americans in 1812? I, nor my history teacher, has ever heart before of that war or a 'Battle of New Orleans'. That unimportant it must have been!

You've never heard of the War of 1812? Have you heard the 1812 Overture(which wasn't written till a while after the fact)? The song 'The Star Spangled Banner' was written by an American captured by the Brittish durring that war as well. You can look it up on the net or in your local library, or in an encyclopedia, etc. It happened and you must have described it to your teacher wrong if you think he/she doesn't know.

Anyway I like the idea of developing bonuses/penalties over time. It would be interresting to try and play the peace loving scientific country with all the science bonuses in the world and then when you've researched everything turn arround and get slautered trying to whip everyone else out with your howizers and armors when they still have musketeers and cannons .
                        I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

• Mani@c is from Belgium, I believe, so he's got a reason not to have heard of it.

Comment

• I have certainly heard of the 1812 war, but no insult to anyone, the war's importance was very minor, so I do not understand why is it being held up as an example. Someone, please explain.
                            Rome rules

Comment

• American patriotism; that's all.

Comment

• Ignore this double-post due to my slow internet connection combined with my momentarily impatient mood.
                                [This message has been edited by M@ni@c (edited February 04, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                                X