first civ3 units revealed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to be such a party-pooper but ...

The red crosses on the tank annoy me! If they're supposed to represent force marking, use a chevron like they did in Dessert Shield/Storm.

John 6:68

Comment

Quite nice, but please remember that it's only concept art. It really doesn't give us any clues at all about what the game will be like. I mean, you can chew the bone they've thrown you for a while if you like, but I think I'll conserve my energy until they give us some more info in a couple of weeks.

Good to see some activity on the Firaxis front, however.

------------------
      - MKL
      "And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
      Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
      - mkl

Comment

I agree with MKL, you poor urchins act like Fagan threw you a crumb to fight over. These are very nice looking units, but I'm assuming that anyone will be able to replace them with custom units (as in the many modpacks we've seen for Civ2). So what difference does it make what the Riflemen and Tank look like? For example, I never play Civ2 with their original units, I always play with the HiRes units. If you don't like those units, create your own or download someone elses mod?

Comment

Well, I have to line up with everyone else who's excited by the pictures.

* wipes up puddle of drool at feet *

We've waited so long for something to be released by Firaxis that anything is greatly appreciated. Truly, they do look great. Can't wait for the site to go online.

And I'm especially looking forward to Civ4. You guys at Firaxis are working on that already, aren't you?

------------------
          Frodo lives!
          Frodo lives!

Comment

Ho hum..........the graphics are not the flaw of civ 2, never were, never will be. Once you start playing, this sort of thing flies out of the window anyway. An update on how some new economic or diplomacy models would've got me excited.

However, as long as Firaxis has it's priorities straight, and we see some real improvements in the actual game, improved graphics will still be a welcome change.

They are nice graphics, but I just can't put my excited hat on yet

------------------
            Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
            You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
            Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
            Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
            [This message has been edited by drake (edited December 21, 2000).]
            I see the world through bloodshot eyes
            Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto (edited December 21, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth on 12-21-2000 06:00 AM
                I think the reason for the tank being called Panzer tank is because, as Grumbold has pointed out, it looks almost identical to a Panzer III.

I believe all the german tanks developed during the second world war was called panzer (short for Panzerkampfwagen).

Panzerkampfwagen I (light tank)
                Panzerkampfwagen II (light tank)
                Panzerkampfwagen III (medium tank)
                Panzerkampfwagen IV (medium tank)
                Panzerkampfwagen V Panther/Panther II (prototype) (medium heavy tank)
                Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger/Tiger II (heavy tank)
                Panzerkampfwagen VII Löwe (Super heavy tank, never prod.)
                Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus (Super heavy tank)

Got a little carried away there

I really hope there will be several different types of tanks in Civ3, since WW2 scenarioes is my favorite.

You forgot the 'King Tiger Tank'.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by FinnishGuy on 12-21-2000 02:41 AM
                  Just three pictures and you guys are all going nuts!

Me, I'm waiting for the Civ 3 site to go up finally.

THis is the very, very first of ANYTHING that Firaxis has sent us about civ3. It is obveious your new, we've been waiting this for a dang while. Thats why we're all excited.

Comment

Well I can't get that excited about concept art, but I do appreciate the fact that Firaxis is alive. Nice to know the CTP2 team hasn't suceeded in firebombing their HQ yet...

I'm not giving up hope yet, but I do fear for the inclusion of a units workshop. Or at least some amazing alternative. I hated being limited to x amount of units. I always loved the ability to modify your army to adapt to the situation. Why couldn't you build an AAA submarine transport if someone was using planes to keep the sea clear? I doubt you'd see a premade unit like that.

At any rate though.. the game progresses. Can't wait til the official site goes live.
                    Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

quote:

To be true I think that released images are more artwork than real unit look, because that detail can't been sustained at normal unit dimension... at least if not played on a 42" screen at ultra high resolution.

Yes admiral, that is exactly why I am worried the 3d units will look horrible.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'm also a little worried about how the 3d units will look like when scaled down. Hopefully there will be possible to use custom 2d units.

And Diablo, Tiger II = King Tiger
                        We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Bah. Gameplay before graphics. Not that I don't trust Sid & co. to do both..

But I have to say, I prefer 3d units, although the ability to replace them with 2d customer units for mods would give this game an unheard of level of replayability
                          Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

I didn't know there were ambulance tanks...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lago on 12-21-2000 04:15 PM
                              I didn't know there were ambulance tanks...

what the hell are you talking about?

Comment

damn, double post again.
                                [This message has been edited by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto (edited December 21, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                                X