first civ3 units revealed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first civ3 units revealed!

Well, isn't anybody going to comment? Firaxis has released the unit pics for 3 units that will be in civ3: panzer tank, phalanx, rifleman.

The pics look extremelly impressive. The art people at firaxis are super pros, for sure!
    It looks like the civ3 units will lok very cool, indeed!

EDITED: Just thought I'd put these here for people to easily see. If the page loads too slowly, I can take them out. Thanks to Diplomat for the info (and for letting me hijack this section of his post). --Yin

------------------
    No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
    [This message has been edited by yin26 (edited December 22, 2000).]
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Nifty!

I'm trying to imagine the kind of map and look Civ3 will have if the units are going to be 3D and that detailed. Actually, it makes me kind of hopefull that the units themselves will be color-coded by the color of your Empire (American musketmen have blue shirts, Brittish ones red and so forth).

It was really nice of Firaxis to give us something to think about while we wait for the new site opening `early' next year.

Joe

Comment

Well, we *really really* wanted to get this site up as soon as possible. With the holiday break approaching, we're all out for a few days, so the site will probably go up shortly after the new year.

At the very least, we thought you'd appreciate a little taste of what's to come. Hope you all enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

Dan
      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.
      --------------------------

Comment

I'd say those are impressive....

I've seen few games that have graphics of that quality....

don't know how they'll look shrunk down to normal Civ playing size, but if those are any indication.... looks like the wait for CivIII will be worth it

Good job guys, and keep up the good work

------------------
        -=Pangaea=-
        -=Pangaea=-

Comment

I can't believe somebody beat me to the punch of starting the 'official' thread on this subject -- well, considering how busy a poor webmaster such as myself is these days, it doesn't surprise me really.

Enjoy, everyone. Thanks again, Firaxis!

----------------
          Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

These aren't ingame shots are they??

The phalanx looks like it will be, I can see the polygons, the others are highly rendered, so if the phalanx one is the ingame shot - WOW!

If not, I can see how detailed the game is going to be, because you guys would have been using the structure of those rendered units to make the units in the game look similiar to those ones.

bloody brilliant.....I love that phalanx, he looks like he has a bit of attitude, haha

Comment

They look great. Not cartoony, like ctp units.

not that ctp graphics are bad. . they're decent. .

but these are better, imo.
              -connorkimbro
              "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I would like to see accurate modern units. Like tanks that really existed and not just Meta-tanks. Why not have a "Tiger II" or "Sherman" or "Leopard" or "Abrams" or or or?

Or name it tank but do the model after a REAL one!

The colors on the tank also makes me think that this now identifies the unit, right? Is the shield finally gone?
                I do hope so!

Just an idea,
                Ata

Comment

geezuz you're right, those blue colours are representing the civ, I didn't notice that, brilliant again!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ContradictioN on 12-20-2000 04:07 PM
                    geezuz you're right, those blue colours are representing the civ, I didn't notice that, brilliant again!

Check out the rifleman. He dont have colour-code (unless brown is the code).

Anyway, they look great - imagine these units animated, strolling around on the map - which also have animated sea-, -ocean and river-tiles. Maybe swaing forrest-tiles, who knows.

I wonder how one see if a unit is wounded?

Comment

blown off arm or something I suppose... heh

Tank missing a treead....

The happy face on the shield turns to a sad face...

------------------
                      -=Pangaea=-
                      -=Pangaea=-

Comment

Great units!!! I agree with connorkimbro, CTP units look often like toys, but these new Civ3 units are top class. My fauvorite is the Phalanx...

------------------
                        Civ2000
                        Blah

Comment

Great to see some graphics, but is this concept art or the real unit icons made large? Hard to tell. I hope we can see some shots of units sitting on the map soon.

I love the short barrelled Panzer III, with the exception of the bright red and blue bits.

The Phalanx is very colourful but seems to be a bit challenged in the spear department. I'd expect him to chuck a javelin that size not lock shields and brace for impact.

The rifleman looks really cool, especially if the uniform colour changes to represent the player.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Firstly- hurrah! Some stuff to drool over. And a guarantee that there will be no unit workshop!

My only complaint is the rifleman: Civ 2's rifleman (in case you didn't know) was a Union soldier, presumably with a springfield. As far as I'm concerned there are three real rifleman designs you could use: Union troop, Colonial conquoror (Red coat with white helmet, a la Zulu) or Napoleonic rifleman (British regiments, green uniforms)
                            If it isn't too late please change the hat, it just isn;t right.
                            "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Evil
                              My only complaint is the rifleman: Civ 2's rifleman (in case you didn't know) was a Union soldier, presumably with a springfield. As far as I'm concerned there are three real rifleman designs you could use: Union troop, Colonial conquoror (Red coat with white helmet, a la Zulu) or Napoleonic rifleman (British regiments, green uniforms)
                              If it isn't too late please change the hat, it just isn;t right.

I agree totally, which is actually what I came to this forum to say. The rifleman in real life was a late-19th century unit; the musketeer was the 18th-century equivalent. The unit shown for the Civ3 rifleman looks like something out of the 18th century. Oh well. The detail on all three units is really nice.

------------------
                              Curumbor Elendil
                              http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35/
                              ICQ 56126989
                              Curumbor Elendil
                              http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35/
                              ICQ 56126989

Comment

Working...
                              X