Civ2000
    Blah

Comment

Hope they will make ports though...
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jordanz19 on 01-08-2001 11:50 PM
        I think that is the old FAQ that was there since early last year, I don't think its been changed

We have added to the FAQ, and plan to continue adding to the FAQ. In cases like the Hasbro/Infogrames situation, there really isn't much to report right now, so we'll wait until there is to address that one.

Dan
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        Dan Magaha
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        --------------------------

Comment

Glad PBEM is there, and wondered if direct null modem connecytion will still be an option.
          Simultaneous movement?
          The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

*Imran's life is complete*

YAY! From the FAQ:

quote:

More powerful and intuitive customization tools.

quote:

Great nations can produce gifted leaders from history, each one capable of leading your civilization to martial glory. Whether helming an army on a distant battlefield or passing their personal experiences onto future generations of soldiers, these towering figures can single-handedly alter the course of history.

quote:

Increased technological finesse can be found in Civilization III's reworked Zone of Control rules. No longer can a Phalanx hold a vulnerable pass as effectively as a mechanized infantry regiment. The ability to intervene in surrounding terrain is now determined by mobility and ranged weaponry, rather than the universal privilege of being just any military unit.

quote:

In CivIII, ranged weapons such as catapults, artillery and battleships can bombard enemy fortifications such as city walls and fortresses. This allows for a general 'softening' of defenses, which provides a substantial bonus to direct-fire units.

*Imran dies from overexcitment*
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 01-09-2001 02:34 AMthe publisher is Hasbro Interactive, which was recenlty sold by Hasbro to Infogrames

Thanks for the clarification MarkG.

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I just fell over.

All I have to say is: Firaxis, good job at finally picking up some speed (Im not saying you havent, cause I dont know what youve been doing while we fans have been waiting). And another thing, I love the Abrams tank design, it looks realistic and great. So do the fighters (i.e. Mig 29 and F-15).

Comment

Excellent job, indeed!!
                  After a quick visit, we can expect more and more in the weeks ahead.
                  Gotta give it to them tough... it was very nice to see that a "FAQ" section has been prepared. It is another proof that Firaxis cares about what their customers have to say.
                  I'll risk a prediction here...
                  CIV-III will sell at least double what Civ-2 (and the previous pioneering original) did over the years for one simple reason;
                  Not only is it the achievement of great-forward-thinking programming work but ALSO from a huge community's input of ideas.
                  All we need, now, is to see it on store shelves.
                  HURRY!

Comment

Dan, I'm just wondering how often the site will be updated.

Like, how often do you think there will be screenshots? Or game info? Or any other news

Comment

While I'm quite glad to have something to look at and start the hype about a game I'm eagerly waiting for, I still have to be somewhat negative.

It seems to me like the Firaxis guys are spending way too much time on "eye candy". Nice animated units don't make a good RTS game. Smart AI does. Personally, I turn off most animations after just a couple games, as they quickly become very annoying and get in the way of the game itself.

I'm afraid of buying yet another great looking Civ clone, with the same crappy AI. I wish the developers spend at least as much time on the game engine as they do on the interface.

Firaxis, please remember this: what made Civ great was NOT it's looks. It's the game concept, and the AI.

Aredhran

Comment

quote:

Knights in a Western European Civ would be Samurai in an Asian Civ would be something equivalent in a native American Civ, etc....

Just give a little flavor to different civilizations.

Or, they could give each Civ a unique unit/tech. a la Ages of Empires (i.e. Janissaries, Tarkans, Mangudai, Huskarls, Cataphracts, etc.)

That would be awesome, and worth more to me than animated units. (Which are fun, but do get turned off after a couple of games.)

Well, I'm saving up for a new computer, and I guess I better get a rocket. Plus a weeks time off work, and a stockpile of pre-packaged food. I'm gonna lock myself in, put on the headphones, and disappear from this world.

What do we think- is pre Christmas 2001 a realistic possibility?

Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Aredhran on 01-10-2001 04:43 AM
                          While I'm quite glad to have something to look at and start the hype about a game I'm eagerly waiting for, I still have to be somewhat negative.

It seems to me like the Firaxis guys are spending way too much time on "eye candy". Nice animated units don't make a good RTS game. Smart AI does. Personally, I turn off most animations after just a couple games, as they quickly become very annoying and get in the way of the game itself.

I'm afraid of buying yet another great looking Civ clone, with the same crappy AI. I wish the developers spend at least as much time on the game engine as they do on the interface.

Firaxis, please remember this: what made Civ great was NOT it's looks. It's the game concept, and the AI.

Aredhran

A good point, and believe me, one I think the team is cognizant of. I personally don't believe that a good-looking game and a great-playing game are mutually exclusive, especially since we're talking about two different types of labor here: programmer / designers and artists.

Having incredibly skilled artists who can make the game look great doesn't mean that the designers can't design a fun game or that the programmers can't
                          make it happen, at least IMHO. My personal feelings are that this game is going to be both fun to play and great to look at.

Dan
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          --------------------------

Comment

My sentiments exactly!
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Viking on 01-10-2001 10:34 AM

What obviously we all have been hearing is Q1 2002. I think that still may be too soon. I think realistically middle to late 2002.

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Viking on 01-10-2001 10:34 AM

What we all have been hearing is Q1 2002 release. Judging by track records that may be too soon. Probably middle to late 2002 with the only Christmas release chance being Christmas 2002.

Of course, I really don't know and hope that I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X