Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I quit Civ3 again... (Combat) (Rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Merc
    But in Sim City, I can't take over rival cities.

So what's YOUR explanation as to why all the AI's declared war on me?
    I know it's hard to accept, but you're just unpopular with the AI.
    Try some more shmooze, or maybe dressing like them?

Have a Merry Christmas
    tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

• Originally posted by The Andy-Man Anything can be proven wit a barrage of numbers.
      So I should consider someone else's account of 10 battles a more accurate representation of the RNG results than a scientific study of it?
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Re: Why I quit Civ3 again... (Combat) (Rant)

Originally posted by Action

So, I recently decided to get PTW and fire up Civ 3 again. I had originally quit in disgust before all the patches came out and had been playing Alpha Centauri again.

So anyway, I'm the Carthagians neighboring the Indians and I decide I will need to take them out. I have iron they don't. They have horses I dont.

I build roads right to the edge of their borders, and mass up a bunch of swordsmen and a few numidian mercenaries to defend strategic points and captured cities (2/3/1 carthagian special unit). All they have are a few archers, spearmen and horsemen. My troops were all vets, his were all regulars.
        Should be easy right? Not with Civ 3's combat system.

Suffice it to say my attack failed miserably. Why?

One reg archer defending on plains beat two vet swordsmen.
        One reg archer defending on woods beat two vet swordsmen.
        A reg horsemen defending on grassland beat an elite swordsman.
        A vet warrior defending on hills beat two vet swordsmen.
        As well as a few swordsmen losing to spearmen, which is expected.

So anyway, my attack stalled, and as I was bringing up more guys using my large road system a few of their horsemen were able to attack my cities. Since their horsemen were only regulars and I have veteran numidian mercs (2/3/1) fortified in all my cities I'm not too worried.

Three times in a row a reg horseman beats a vet numidian merc fortified defending in a city.

At this point I close the program.
        This wouldnt happen in Civ2 or SMAC.
        This is just one of the reasons that while I've spent 95 dollars on Civ 3 products I've played them for about 1/10th as long as I played Civ 2 or SMAC.
        Anyway, theres my rant, I'm sure you don't care.
        If it really irks you that bad, there is an easy solution. Reload, wait one turn and then press your attack. The game will generate an new random seed, hopefully one more favorable to your attack.

It is cheating, but if you feel you are being cheated, maybe it is justified.
        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Working...
        X