No announcement yet.

AI Stubbornness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They never come crawling to me early on, but in later, longer, spaced out wars, they will often come asking for peace. I'll often screw them and wipe out whatever is left of them. They always seem so cute then.

Comment

The AI is stubborn and stupid. I had Russia reduced to one unit in one city...they refused to see my envoy...so I destroyed them. Also, out of all the games I played, and I played many, I never once was seriously attacked by an enemy that was far away. Heck, I build lots of troops, transports, and other various ships so that when I finally do reach there cities I have enough power to take at least one of there costal cities...the AI has never tried doing that to me.
      Lord of the World ... You just don't know it yet!!!

Comment

In my current PTW 1.14 Regent game, the Romans asked for peace after I took only a couple of their cities. I got multiple techs in the bargain.

Some time later I attacked them again and they asked to parley when they were down to 1 or 2 cities (I refused this time). THEY had asked, both times.

There probably aren't any hard triggers. Probably a random thing, based on various aspects of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonaparte
          The AI is stubborn and stupid. I had Russia reduced to one unit in one city...they refused to see my envoy...so I destroyed them.
          Umh, had they given you anything, perhaps some technology, they would merely make it easier for you to destroy them later. Might as well be destroyed now and give you nothing.

You would go back and attack them again later would you not? After constantly bullying them for regular tributes of gold, technology and maps. Perhaps the AI would prefer to go down fighting rather then live on as your bootlicker.

I would not say the AI is stubborn and stupid. I would say the AI opponent should give you nothing that would materially increase your capacity to destroy it in your (inevitable) next war of aggression.

Perhaps the people complaining in this thread expect the AI to negotiate with the human player in the manner of Chamberlain at Berchtesgaden?

Comment

Originally posted by peterfharris

Perhaps the people complaining in this thread expect the AI to negotiate with the human player in the manner of Chamberlain at Berchtesgaden?
            I think you mean at MUNICH, although your point is unclear at best.

I would expect a sensible AI to negotiate reasonably, and NOT to be eager to commit suicide by making wild demands even when it is being overrun by an invading enemy force. Also, after I take several of his cities, I expect the idiot to see me, not to ignore me.

I expect the AI to, when six resources are added into a deal with another civ AS A FREE BONUS, to NOT then insult the generous civ and cancel the entire deal. It is stupid, like this AI.

Comment

I think we can agree it has it flaws. They made the AI unreasonablely unwilling to talk turkey when it is getting pasted. They did that becasue it was too easy to shake it down, they went to far. Now it is part of the game, no big deal.

Comment

It's not perfect but it's one of the best I have seen. And I have never seen the AI turn down a good offer, unless giving vital military tech to avoid destruction is considered a good offer.
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

I think you mean at MUNICH, although your point is unclear at best.

I would expect a sensible AI to ........, I expect the idiot to see me, not to ignore me.

I expect the AI to, when six resourc........ It is stupid, like this AI.
                  I think your general approach to CIV 3 discussions is unreasonable at best.

I think it is unreasonable to expect the AI to act like a perfectly believable human player in all given situations .

I would expect a sensible CIV-gamer to recoginse the difficulties of delivering a challenging in-game AI.

edit for spelling
                  Last edited by Th0mas; December 16, 2002, 13:15.
                  tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

My biggest problem with negotiations to end a war is that you cannot demand resources/luxuries as part of the deal. If I go to war to get a certain resource, I'm only going to end it when that resource is mine.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

AI stupidity

The funniest thing I seen was my first Diety game that I made into the modern era. Regicide, all victory settings on, random settings,Carthaginians, modern era, 10 techs behind, at war with the two superpowers America and Iroquois. ME fighting MA with about 50 artillary and 20 bombers. France gets in the war with about 10 MA showing up on besieged Washington at the same time I hooked up newly aquired aluminum and upgraded about 30 tanks to MA that I put in the fray. I figure I need one turn to complete the destruction of all roads and bomb the city down so I can take it without mass losses. Going to let France my new alley hit them also to help take the city. Next turn loose space race to America.
                      Decide to reload and play with the game. I hit Washington with everythong I got instead of waiting the turn for one more bombardment. I hit them with 1 MA army 38 MA 48 ME and knock him down to Abe Lincoln only defending and I have 2 cavelry left that can hit him.
                      I call him up and ask for peace for techs. He still has a road. He can still rush in defenders for the emminant French attack and his space ship is still intack. He wouldn't even give me one teck. I had 7 MA 12 ME left after this assault.
                      I take him and next turn loose to France Space Race. Very enjoyable game. Was a whole era behind the whole game due to poor jungle,rescourse, and luxery start.
                      Still haven't won on Diety. Never played Emperor

Comment

Working...
                      X