Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SoLuTiOn

Originally posted by Trifna
    I guess the solution to this would be to put this closer to reality by making workers that are eating. These workers are population, it's just that they work for the state. Thus it'd demand a reevaluation of the model to put it right.
    You could say the same about military units, though.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Trifna , that is the way it works in civ2, where settlers(and engineers) cost food. Could be a pain in the ass sometimes when you were short on food and needed a settler to increase food production...
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Now that units don't have a home city any food requirement would have to be taken from a national food surplus. There is no such concept in civ3. perhaps there should be.
        Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

What about military units decreasing city population? Aside from draft
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Yeah, I know it can be a pain in the ass but this is why it should be arranged realistically: because in reality it's not SUCH a problem to civilizations.

I guess the best system would simply be to divide our population in some sort of task distribution (taking 20% for "state working"). I'm for the idea of eliminating completely the tedious worker unit and replace it by a % bar, task managing and what it'd need.

But by keeping the worker unit, it would mean to balance it well. Balance what? Well balancing the capacity of work done by a worker versus it's cost in food. I mean, it doesn't take 200 persons for a year to make a road. Have to balance to something realistic and the rest will do fine.
            Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Well you always have the public works model used in CTP. It makes terrain development less tedious but also removes worker capture as an military strategy.

Actually I'm quite happy with the current model.

Comment

Worker capture should be implemented in another way. Like your units going somewhere and having it in option, like we can destroy improvements. Or you enter a city and get slaves, etc.

Comment

Sounds almost like CTP to me.

How about just refining the current model a bit? Worker automation with a little twist? Make it possible to assign working ques to workers. Like 'I want roads on these tiles and when you're done with that I want a mine here and some irrigation over there. Oh and watch out for enemy units will you?'

Comment

Actually, you can have city sizes well over a thousand. Someone at CFC discovered this cheat a while ago. Just add workers to the city in huge numbers, as you can only lose one pop point per turn.
                    AFAIK this isn't possible anymore, at least not in PTW where you can't ad workers when city is running a food deficit
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

bongo: then I guess CTP had this better, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be improved in some way.

Comment

CTP has a better tile improvement model than civ2, but so have civ3. CTP's model is perhaps better than civ3's but with some refining that would change things in favour of civ3.

Comment

I never played it, but from what I know CTP seems to have good concepts sometimes applies as concepts may be applied when it's a first try... So lots of nice stuff could be adapted but it'd need some refining and a little rethinking and adjusting.

Comment

In ctp you can devote a percentage of your production to public works. It works like a second treasury which only can be used for tile improvements. You could only build TI's within your own borders but building them would also expand your territory. Of the more interesting TI's were sonar bouyos and observation towers.

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
                              Worker capture should be implemented in another way. Like your units going somewhere and having it in option, like we can destroy improvements. Or you enter a city and get slaves, etc.

I would like to see universal Sufferage be a minor wonder and not be allowed to use workers as slaves after its built. Instead they would be sent to either POW or refugee camps inside the capturing civ's homeland. At the end of the war the workers would be repatriated to the former civ's owner. If the Civ is destroyed then they would be allowed to join a city and become citizens to be assimilated.
                              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
                              X