Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ages to Close

A question?

Can anyone explain why it takes so long for Civ III (all version and pacthes) to Close down?

There have been times when the fool system is 'hung' for about 3-4 minutes after I do the esc "end game immediately" rountine... obviously, 'immediately' doesn't mean what I think it does...

Any clues??? Why doesn't it just close/abort/end/stop... what *IS* it doing in the close down routine... and why? I haven't asked it to 'save' anything... it should just stop using my system and vanish... or is it 'releasing' resources in some weird manner???

It's also not a 'clean shutdown' by any means. Applications I have running in the background can get totally 'fouled' up during the shutdown process.

Just a guess, but do you have auto saves on? If so, that may require the game to save it before it closes.

Comment

What kind of system you got?
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Hmmm... my system closes down (via the Esc-button) in approximately 4 seconds. So no problem there

My system is 1600 MHz, 512 MB RAM...
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

yup i experience this also, boojumhunter. i noticed it only happens if my civ session was very long. if i play 10 minutes and exit, this doesnt happen, but if i was pulling a multi-hour all nighter and exit, then the system becomes unresponsive for a little bit. my sys. specs. are 1.8ghz p4 512 ddr ram running xp home edition.

no autosaves btw.

edit: i only notice this in PtW however. not original civ3.
          Last edited by Minmaster; November 29, 2002, 07:58.

Comment

Could it be, that your HD is almost full? So the huge swap-file is stored in several places, and thus the deletion of the swap-file takes a long time..?
            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Minmaster is right. If you quit after a few minuter (let's say less than 30 minutes) the game closes quite nicely. However, play a long game and it takes ages - with or without autosave on. I'm talking between 3-5 minutes here. It only takes 20 secs to save the hugest of games.

AND CivIII totally messes up my WinXP system for another 3 minutes or so. Graphics get screwed up for about 30 secs to 1 min and then my system won't respond for another 1-2 min.

I don't have a wimpy machine either (P4-1500, 512MB, 20+GB free space). CivIII is the only software I have ever seen/used that does this...To bad!

Comment

Working...
              X