Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Improvements" that would stop you from buying the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real time elements
    Evil micromanagment (something along the lines of what yin26 says)
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i really hate to have to sell all my granaries one by one when i've conquered the pyramids. (just did it yesterday after conquering Alexandria in the Blitzkrieg scenario)
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

DP
        [This message has been edited by HsFB (edited November 14, 2000).]
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

quote:

In fact, unless there are proper polygonal 3d graphics

3d- 3d ruined Populus 3 by making it run slow/ messed up graphics and require a high-end system!

Also if 2d is good enough for Age of Empires and Civ CTP then 2d is good enough for Civ III.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

If it looks like a bland, uninspired game that is six years old. In fact, unless there are proper polygonal 3d graphics and an excellent engine, it is going to be so badly recieved by the market that one cannot but wonder is Firaxis has not messsed up the rest of the game as well. Sprites can be included as an option for creating scenarios, but no more. Get some good engine programmers to create a sleek and good-looking 3d game, in millions of colours for easy terrain-editing, and full 3d-card support. And polygonal units.

Comment

quote:

3d- 3d ruined Populus 3 by making it run slow/ messed up graphics and require a high-end system

Please, don't mix cause and consequence. Lot of poster (myself included) sometime mix the two: of course they are related, but not always as firmly as we take for granted.

Darkcloud don't want messed up graphics, nor a slow down system that require high-end PC (but this is more a moving target, depending from a lot of facet: I can easily buy a new notebook PC with a fast CPU, not with a decent-still-affordable 3D graphic chipset, someone else can fork a bunch of dollars for a new one card and gain enough juice to its old Pentium II 300).

Someone else want easy customization for mod and fans scenario, but while they are easy as eating cake in 2D, still lot of work can be done "skinning" and making game level for "Quake like" real 3D games.

We should remember to draw a clear line about what we want / don't want about gameplay effects, leaving cause more on the hands of Firaxis.

Someone in business world should probably mention "vision" and "ability to implement": fans players as us must
              usually concentrate on the former, Firaxis must keep care of the latter!

(BTW sorry Darkcloud, I quoted you just as an example, the concept is not targetted to someone specifically, of course )

------------------
              Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
              [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited November 15, 2000).]
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Man I can't wait to see some Civ3 graphics!

Comment

Chrome is secondary. When I see a game and all I can glean from the box is "awesome graphics," I shall move myself away as quickly as I can
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

But when it comes down to it, us posters are a minority in the market for Civ3. When the average gamer picks up a civ3 box and sees that the graphics are six years old, they'll put it back on the shelf because it will lokk dodgy. I would rather better gameplay at a sacrifice to graphics just as most people here would, but I would put my money on civ3's graphics being 3d.
                    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                    Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Working...
                    X