Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Improvements" that would stop you from buying the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMAC's graphics didn't slow the game any more than Civ II did.

3D graphics would be horrible however.
    TBS is 2D, not 3D!!!!!
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

- NO TOT-style multi-level map.
      - NO 3D globe-map.
      - NO wavy SMAC-style map.

- The *only* 3D-effect i could accept in Civ-3 would be some kind of 3D-reliefed map (still isometric view) with (very minor) elevated increments from deep ocean all the way to mountain. But thats about it.

- NO real-time (not even real-time battle window).
      - NO clunky TOT-graphics.

Comment

Ummm, I don't mean to go against the grain here, but I liked the multiple maps from TOT (from a scenario builder's point of view.) It was nice to be able to show Europe and the Pacific in a WWII scenario. It should be an option at least. I do, however, think that the maps should not be layered.

And it should be laid out like this...

Map 1 ---- Map 2

Map 3 ---- Map 4

Map 1-Map 2: Upper-right corner of Map 1 to upper-left of Map 2
        Map 1-Map 4: Lower-right corner of Map 1 to upper-left corner of Map 4.... etc.
        Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II on 10-28-2000 02:37 PM
          Ummm, I don't mean to go against the grain here, but I liked the multiple maps from TOT (from a scenario builder's point of view.) It was nice to be able to show Europe and the Pacific in a WWII scenario. It should be an option at least. I do, however, think that the maps should not be layered.

And it should be laid out like this...

Map 1 ---- Map 2

Map 3 ---- Map 4

Map 1-Map 2: Upper-right corner of Map 1 to upper-left of Map 2
          Map 1-Map 4: Lower-right corner of Map 1 to upper-left corner of Map 4.... etc.

Well it would be nice in scenario makink for several parts of the world. But it's still too much management and not necessary in my mind!!!

------------------
          "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
          "The best meats' in the rump!"
          I AM CANADIAN!
          CornEmpire Index
          My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
          I AM CANADIAN!
          Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
          CornEmpire Owner/Operator
          Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

It isn't the graphics of SMAC I dislike. it's the fact that it takes about a second and a half to two seconds for a unit to move from one square to the next, mag tubes or no mag tubes. I assumed this has to do with the graphics, but perhaps not.

I do like the relief map in the sense that it makes it possible to have desert, forest, grassland, etc on mountains.

Where I come from the only forests are in the mountains.

------------------
            The camel is not a part of civ.

THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!

SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!
            The camel is not a part of civ.
            THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
            SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

I think the single most important improvement that I DO want is better pacing. There comes a point in all the Civ games after which it's just tedious micromanagement. So to answer the question:

** Any "improvement" that makes me mircomanage trivial and repetative processes (and which only get worse deeper into the game) may well stop me from buying Civ3.

Oh, and let me throw this in: Why should I have to sit and stare at mind worms doing there thing for minutes on end? I could go with the idea of Planet erupting in worms, but to have to go and have a coffee before regaining control of the keyboard is inexcusable. In fact, I stopped playing SMAC after only about a two months for this and a few other mind-boggling blunders.

** Any "improvement" that makes the computer's turn last more than a few seconds.
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Matthew: Did you switch over to fast unit moving, (or fast slide movement or something like that). It cuts out the crap and the unit just moves to the next square.

------------------
                - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                Mars Colonizer Mission
                - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

I won't buy CivIII if it:

-Is real-time

-If there are no camels!

-If you can terraform to the extent that SMAC allowed you to. Long live geographical determination!

-If preference is given to 'historical accuracy' or 'enhanced realism' or 'new and exiting ideas!' above a well-balanced, good flowing game! The implemention of too many of the zillion or so ideas, however good they may be in their own right, might kill that elusive Civ-feeling.

-If I can't wage war with elephants!

------------------
                  Hasdrubal's Home.
                  Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
                  Hasdrubal's Home.
                  Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

I won't buy Civ3 if it's about:

1. Fancy 3D graphics that slow down it.
                    2. Unit-mania

I wan't a simple, and abstract game where the events are more made in my imagination than in CPU.
                    stuff

Comment

Things that would stop me buying it?

First SMAC graphic, they were crap.
                      Second No stacked combat.
                      and last no MODS or SCEN allouded.

You know that Hasbro does not support scenarios that why there was nothing in TOT?

------------------
                      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
                      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

i'll just add things since repeating the same over and over again is useless (hint )

graphics design issues:
                        1. Overcomplex, dark, blorry (or choppy) graphics (like SMAC, TOT)
                        2. Oversized units icons
                        3. The icons / interface shouldnt not be more than 256 palette colors and the Icons should just represent, not depict the exact actual unit, and no 3D rendering! (I love the ORIGINAL civ 2 icons!!!)
                        4. No lot's of crazy units colored like bozo the clown (CTP: warrior / samurai / etc.)
                        5. No very bright / very dark colors....

I want settlers AND public works all together. Maybe this could change with the social / govt.

no oversized [graphics / sounds / whatever] files! without the vid's it should be not even near 150MB!

Comment

Sorry people the answer is none. I like 3D. I believe there was a poll some months ago and "animation everthing" won. Yin can you correct this if wrong. I tried to fine it (the poll), but could not. Yes to the person post ahead of me you can turn off almost everything in SMAC.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sirotnikov on 11-04-2000 05:25 PM
                            3. The icons / interface shouldnt not be more than 256 palette colors and the Icons should just represent, not depict the exact actual unit, and no 3D rendering!

no more than 256 colors?
                            welcome to the HiColor age

------------------
                            "Am Anfang war das Wort" - J.W. Goethe, "Faust"

"So they've learned from me" - Napoleon
                            Bonaparte, during the Battle of Leipzig
                            War doesn't prove who is right, only who is left.

Comment

I've played SMAC for roughly nine months now and I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say slow and choppy graphics. I've never experienced a turn that took very long to complete due to unit movement or AI movement of units. I don't have a graphics card, I have 64 megs of ram, and my CPU runs at 466. Nothing very impressive.

Comment

The biggest thing for me is RTS, i am not a fan of that genre... other than that, i am willing to give it a try

Comment

Working...
                                X