Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Disband = Kill?

Originally posted by jshelr
    My poor early units used to be allowed to hand in their weapons to be beaten into shield plowshares and to retire gracefully into whatever occupation they wanted.

Now, they die an ugly death that causes my wife to ask why I executed that guy

Cleverly, I moved to the F3 screen to disband them there where I didn't half to watch. It was like hearing torture in the neighboring dungeon as they cried out in agony.

Am I missing the point or is this an unfortunate PTW change??
    I think I have a solution. Mod it in that way: Change the population costs for each unit to at least one and give them the ability to join. So everytime you build a unit your population will decrease by one. But when you want abandon them you can join them anywhere. There should be many cities where you can join them because most cities will have a low low low population.

But for a holy man like you that price cannot be so high

Comment

Oh, I think I'll like this change.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Just record over the 'groan' sound, and make it something more pleasant! Or even a blank sound, or try deleting it! I don't have civ3ptw, and this is quite surprising to me! I always think of it as lots of people do here: retirement.

In the dictionary:

Verb: Disband
        1. Cause to break up or function, as of groups and organizations
        2. Stop functioning, as of organizations or groups

No2 is the one: to stop functioning. Not to murder the unit!
        James Dean Shepherd
        Jesus lives! :)
        ----------------------------

Comment

Hey, some people hate retirement... It's a tragedy for them. That's why they groan.

Comment

Most of the units in Call to Power just fade away when you disband them. I like to think that they go home to farm and play football.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
              Most of the units in Call to Power just fade away when you disband them. I like to think that they go home to farm and play football.
              "Oh, damn... three centuries of good services and now they simply tell me that I'm not needed anymore! They gave me this stupid medal! This isn't fair!"

"Honey, I think that the lawnmower is broken..."

"AAAAAARRRGHHHHH!"

Comment

Is the groan a sad groan? 'Cause maybe alexmn is right!
                James Dean Shepherd
                Jesus lives! :)
                ----------------------------

Comment

Maybe he's groaning, then dying..... in ectasy

Comment

Sometimes, when a unit has performed bad on the battlefield, I pretend I execute him as a dettering effect on the other units...makes more real...
                    -"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is statistics."

- Tavarish Yosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili

Comment

Originally posted by ChairmanYang
                      Sometimes, when a unit has performed bad on the battlefield, I pretend I execute him as a dettering effect on the other units...makes more real...
                      Truly Yang-ish...

Comment

hi ,

they probably never had the time to work on this when firaxis made the game , .....

well it could be fixed with ease , so why not firaxis

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

well... disband actually means desmiss, discharge, decruit, displace, demobilise, etc. ... so it's got nothing to do with killing them.

but then, maybe it's like giving them a chance to retire but kill them because of desertation
                          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Think the groans are bad when you disband human units? Try disbanding cavalry and listen to the horses whimper. A glue factory animation would be an improvement.
                            "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

Working...
                            X