Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i the only one who thinks Firaxis has done a fantastic job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i the only one who thinks Firaxis has done a fantastic job?

I have never seen another gaming company support its fan base and modding community as much as Firaxis.

Civilization3 is my first Firaxis game, so i cant mention theyre other products, but what ive seen so far, they support Civ3 to the fullest. I even see some of the Civ3 team in these forums posting. Not just posting every so often either like other companys do, or have board people go around that dont even work with the team responding. I know a lot of people have said some awful stuff about the game, like it wasnt finished when it was released etc, but if it wasnt Firaxis has done one of the most responsible jobs ive seen fixing it and supporting it. Besides, ive had almost a year of fun playing it, finished or not finished. 3/4 of computer games released that are completely bug free and 'finished' dont even hold my attention for 30 minutes.

this is my thank you thread to Firaxis for 70 bucks well spent!

Let me say thanks to Firaxis also. I, too, think they did a wonderful job of supporting Civ3.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Yeah, it would be very hard to complain about the support that Firaxis have given. But then again, I don't see many complaints about Firaxis support.

No, the main complaint is problems with the software (bugs, limitations) and the fact that this game, no matter what anyone says, is no Civ2.

"I knew Civ2. I lived with Civ2. Let me tell you...you, Civ3, are no Civ2".

[Feel free to replace Civ2 with Civ1 if you should so desire].

Comment

"The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

No, you are not the only one, werdhertz...

Comment

Werdhertz -
            You are not the only one. It is our duty to complain. To keep Firaxis on their toes - to keep on pushing for better and better games.

We're like the evil drill sergeant. We make Firaxis the bada$$ gaming company it is.

My respect goes to Fireaxis.
            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

i think they did a good job, they just did a few really stupid things. Like hard coded 8tile range max, why did they do that? Its just so stupid! I just cant get over how stupid that was, and they havn't even given us a reason in the meny threads we've talked about it!
              Help negate the vegiterian movement!
              For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
                i think they did a good job, they just did a few really stupid things. Like hard coded 8tile range max, why did they do that? Its just so stupid! I just cant get over how stupid that was, and they havn't even given us a reason in the meny threads we've talked about it!
                So, they removed this limitation in PTW, because people didn't like it.
                Seemingly Benign

Comment

Fanboys...
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Dear Firaxis,

, , and
                    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Actually we had a round of thanks about a week ago.

Comment

I think werdhertz was right to point out, specifically, the level of support Firaxis has given.

I'll say it again: I think there is a new paradigm for software delivery, that is ongoing and collaborative between developer and audience / community. Firaxis has been committed to this, but has also clearly been figuring it out as they go along... this can;t be easy, especially given the financial constraints / drivers of traditional software development, as well as the nascent development of the community (i.e., how many people on 'poly and CFC compared to the whole customer base?).

A job well done I'd say... but not over.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Good service and modding is the equivalent to GM being proactive about issuing timely recalls.

Sure they're doing the right thing after the fact. But the problem is you don't plan on buying another GM after the third recall, when you can get a Honda with no recalls.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ogie, the difference is that lots of the stuff in the patches, especially in the later ones, was not fixing but rather adding on based on what people wanted, like editor features and lethal bombardment. That's like GM coming to your door to take your current car and offering to replace it on the spot with one that has a skylight and extra cupholders.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                              Sure they're doing the right thing after the fact. But the problem is you don't plan on buying another GM after the third recall, when you can get a Honda with no recalls.
                              You must never have owned a Honda. My old Civic was recalled a bunch of times in the 10 years I owned it.
                              Seemingly Benign

Comment

Working...
                              X