No announcement yet.

Gunter's poll for: Which level do you play? v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re the observation of different combat results at different levels.

This is actually true, vs barbs. Civ units get combat advantages vs barbs. Larger advantages at lower levels, 0 at Deity. So Gunter's observation could be somewhat based on fact (but backwards).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
      By "play the game on your own terms" I mean that most of your decisions are based on preference, rather than necessity. For example, playing a pure builder strategy is a preference, and is very difficult to pull off on any level higher than Monarch.

Dominae
      I'm gonna have to disagree with that last part. I typically play warless games at deity. I'm only at war if the AI chooses to attack me, and I don't really attack back (limited to only taking back my old cities and I defend offensively, if you know what I mean).
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Regent. Not ready to move up yet. I still have so much to learn.
        You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
          I'm gonna have to disagree with that last part. I typically play warless games at deity. I'm only at war if the AI chooses to attack me, and I don't really attack back (limited to only taking back my old cities and I defend offensively, if you know what I mean).
          How do you win?

Hm, maybe I should make myself a little clearer: do you win via Space Race, or Diplomatic victory, or Culture, or what?

Dominae
          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Well what does warless really mean. I have played games that you are at war most of the time and never start any of them, so does that make it a warless game? I men, they will attack sooner or later and if you do not agree to peace, it can last as long as you like. You can get them to start a war very easy, especial after ou get espionage. I guess if you do not increase you holding by war that may be one thing.

Comment

I can not say you must fight at the highest level as I have never tried to win with out it. I know you can doing an OCC type or even a modified version. Just being stronger is not enough to keep them from coming for you though, you will have to be able to make deal, especiall offering lux trades to stay friendly.

Comment

I am playing emperor, but I have a hard time keeping up in tech. Plus it is frustrating how little respect the AI have for me at this level. Even when I kicked their butt they still don't treat me with respect.....

I've noticed that smaller maps suit me better on this level, because otherwise the AI can expand too much....
                It is I Le Clerk! ;-) Quote from Allo allo.

Comment

I have tried Deity a couple times, but the advantages the AI gets are really big. They get an extra settler to start with. That gives them a big headstart. Too big for me to cope with at this moment.....
                  It is I Le Clerk! ;-) Quote from Allo allo.

Comment

I have done some confusion in level names but I'm pretty sure about what I have said.

Of course my tests were not taken only from 3 battles,but I can say so:

IMO raising the level of diffuculty the AI cheats like this:

Every tests is done on the same terrain and with same experience of units involved.

If you try a....let's say a swordsman vs a spearmen in easier level you can note you have success more or less 50% times,that BTW attacking with 3 and defending with 2 with no terrain penalties it should be more than 50%

If you repeat the experiment for dozens times you will notice ,at higher levels , that the percentgage lower,I mean the swordsman can win 30-40% instead of 50% at easier levels.

What do you think about :

1) with no terrain penalties why a factor 3 attacking unit wins only 50% vs a factor 2 defending one?

2) why the possibilities of win lower while raising in level?

Thanks

Gunter

Comment

Gunter, your experiment is well-described, but I don't think you've actually tried it, at least enough times to draw any meaningful (statistically significant) conclusions. Let your Swordsman attack a Spearman at least 100 times on Deity, tally the results, and come back with your observations. Simply stating that you think combat is tougher on Deity doesn't make it so.

In any case, Firaxis' assurance that the AI doesn't get combat bonuses is enough for me.

Dominae
                      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I have done the experiment for about 20 times only each,and maybe these are too few times to obtain a real statistic,as you said.

I'll give it a try a I'll let you know results.

The strange thing,and I believe it's not only my feeling,that in Civ 1 & 2 I have never had this feeling,now I have it often,but as I said it's only a " feeling " not a real statistics.

Or maybe I'm getting older.....

Cheers

Gunter

Comment

Originally posted by Gunter
                          I have done the experiment for about 20 times only each,and maybe these are too few times to obtain a real statistic,as you said.

The strange thing,and I believe it's not only my feeling,that in Civ 1 & 2 I have never had this feeling,now I have it often,but as I said it's only a " feeling " not a real statistics.
                          Gunter, 20 times really is NOT enough... 100 times would be better... anyway, the probability count (or, the RNG) works for large numbers only.

Your "feeling" probably comes from the fact that randomness was much lower in Civ2. The concept of firepower actually made the combat results way more predictable than in Civ3. In Civ3, you will suffer suprising defeats from time to time... AND victories, TOO. Just that the human nature is to ignore/forget what worked for him (the unexpected victories) and remember only what made him feel like smashing the monitor (the unexpected defeats)...

Believe me, if the AI really cheated combat-wise on higher levels, someone would have surely noticed and proven the fact already... the game has been out for almost a year now.

Comment

AND victories, TOO. Just that the human nature is to ignore/forget what worked for him (the unexpected victories) and remember only what made him feel like smashing the monitor (the unexpected defeats)...

I think you are right in this consideration.

Infact I'm manging to buy a rubber monitor..

Gunter

Comment

Originally posted by Gunter
                              Infact I'm manging to buy a rubber monitor..

Gunter
                              Hmm, let me know if you find one. Or a rubber keyboard
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

About combat propabilities:

Once I built a veteran battleship. I straight away went to attack a Greek veteran Fregate with it (not bombard - straight foward to-kill attack). I won, barely, with only one hitpoint left. That was some tough Fregate.

Has anyone lost a battleship when attacking fregates?
                                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X