Global warming and its consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solomyr
    the sun turns RED? i've seen it get kinda orangey, but RED? pure madness. of course, i've never played passed the win (or the loss in some cases). and i also always head for the hoover damn (which is nice, becasue the AI seems to generally take a different path)
    Even with all these conditions you mention, if you have been in a world with heavy nuclear exchanges ....

IRL, with all the dust thrown into the air it could become global COOLING. But the end result would be the same: lowered productivity from terrain.

Comment

Regarding those small messages for tile devaluations, e.g. "Grassland becomes plains due to global warming";

Is there a way to turn the bloody messages off?!

I, too was playing Nuclear snowball fight once and had well over 15 of these messages per turn and it got rather tedious waiting for them.
      My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeve
        Regarding those small messages for tile devaluations, e.g. "Grassland becomes plains due to global warming";

Is there a way to turn the bloody messages off?!

I, too was playing Nuclear snowball fight once and had well over 15 of these messages per turn and it got rather tedious waiting for them.
        With about 60 per turn I understand what you mean; but it is only waiting 60 seconds. When I spent more than 1/4 hour to play each turn (lot of micromanagement and war time) it is not very big waiting 1 minute at the beginning of the turn.
        Nym
        "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by Nym

With about 60 per turn I understand what you mean; but it is only waiting 60 seconds. When I spent more than 1/4 hour to play each turn (lot of micromanagement and war time) it is not very big waiting 1 minute at the beginning of the turn.
          Yes, I suppose it is all relative. The 15 seconds for me was only a minor inconvenience, but I'm a speed-monger. Can't even sit still while the computer is taking its turn.
          My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Comment

I've just discovered something quite interesting: tiles can auto-improve!

Look at the two screenshots below. The first one was in the year 2118 AD and the second in the year after. Do you notice how the three tiles improve from toundra to grassland?

befor:

after:
            Nym
            "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Interesting. I've never noticed that before.

Comment

Yes global warming has been known to change a forested tundra to grassland, probably a bug. I have seen it happen.

Comment

i cringe at the thought of how much micro management nym needs to build forests every turn while he waits and waits and waits and waits for global warming to stop. let us know how long it takes
                  Last edited by badams52; November 10, 2002, 22:15.
                  badams

Comment

Originally posted by badams52
                    i cringe at the thought of how much micro management nym needs to build forests every turn while he waits and waits and waits and waits for global warming to stop. let us know how long it takes
                    I think it began about one century ago. It is quite tedious. But it has improved: I only get about 15 global warming alerts per turn. I spent so about 10 minutes per turn.
                    Nym

Comment

Strange..i have had some nuke fests and also somtimes played way past the deadline

using 45 nukes...i have never had more than 7 per turn change because of global warming. I guess i have to let those radiated squares stay around even longer.

Also, since the AI does not care too much about pollution,I have never seen a game that did not have global warming.

Every experience differs...one of the great things about civ 3

Comment

Originally posted by Redstar
                        using 45 nukes...i have never had more than 7 per turn change because of global warming. I guess i have to let those radiated squares stay around even longer.
                        Maybe it depends on the number of squares radiated. As I strike about 20 french cities, there was about 160 squares radiated and I need lot of time to clean this all.
                        Nym

Comment

Working...
                        X