Global warming and its consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global warming and its consequences

Has someone tested how the global warming is implemented?

I keep on playing my current game after 2050 to experience the phenomenon. I launched about 25 ICBM against french cities to quicken the war I was involved in (they first tried to attack me such a way and hit only two of my cities thanks to the IDS) .
    During some turns I experienced dramatic global warming consequences (more than 60 terrain devaluations each turn ). I still have global warming problems (about 30 alerts each turn ), but I quite succeed in protecting remaining plains and grasslands by planting forests.
    As it is not possible to improve a terrain (desert -> plain -> grassland) with workers, does someone know if it is possible to stop the global warming process? Logically effects should reduce with pollution, but I did not noticed this yet.
    Nym
    "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Global warming seems to be culimative. That is once it starts, it can never truely get better, (just less bad). So if you play beyond 2050, it is unsurprising your global warming is out of control.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

You might be able to reverse it by selling factories and manufacturing plants. That's not much help though is it?

Comment

Kill of the AI's and get your cities to not have pollution and you can arrest it pretty well. Biggest pollution is those plus 20 size cities and the fac/mfg plants and any coal plants.

Edit to remove brain dead statement.
        Last edited by vmxa1; October 9, 2002, 16:21.

Comment

(content deleted to remove reference to brain dead statement)
          Sorry I took a year to do so :mybad:
          Last edited by Jaybe; September 21, 2003, 15:13.

Comment

No sometimes I just go brain dead. The solution and cause is as I said though. Kill the AI and it can't pollute.

Comment

Global Warming can be gooooooood! If your ahead technologically, you can insure that you retain that lead long enough to launch the spaceship. If You're playing Domination or Conquest you can delay AIs Sytnthetic Fibers advance.

Comment

in my current game i'm planning on launching a **** load of nukes and turning my planet into a desert wasteland!

I LOVE KHARAK!
                Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

60 Tiles a TURN???

Wow ... my GOD ! have you no respect for the digital civ3 planet?? hehe

The most I've ever had per turn that I could see was about 10 and this was after a space race victory , playing for fun. I think you need some mass transportation and recycling fast ... And maybe convert some of those mines in to irrigation to reduce on shield production and thus pollution.

And yes, can all factories and MPlants too ... first ones out the door. I always aim for the hoover dam in my games.

However, 60 tiles maybe isn't that bad if you're playing a gigantic map and you have that many cities? If you've been conquering and you have over 50 cities then i can see that happening , no discussion.... but thats getting pretty nutz in itself!

Cheers
                  ~Thadalex
                  "Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion"
                  -Democritus of Abdera

Comment

But I never thought of planting forests... thanks for the idea! Green is the best colour!

Cheers
                    ~Thadalex
                    "Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion"
                    -Democritus of Abdera

Comment

Originally posted by ThaddeusAlexander
                      However, 60 tiles maybe isn't that bad if you're playing a gigantic map and you have that many cities? If you've been conquering and you have over 50 cities then i can see that happening , no discussion.... but thats getting pretty nutz in itself!
                      I am playing on a huge map and have about 97 cities. Below is my mini map for the current year 2078. I let you decide which color is mine.

My land area is 241 800 sqm but I have only about 37 millions people.
                      Furthermore I have a quite low pollution now : 4 tons (2nd rank).
                      Nym
                      "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by ThaddeusAlexander
                        The most I've ever had per turn that I could see was about 10 and this was after a space race victory , playing for fun. I think you need some mass transportation and recycling fast ... And maybe convert some of those mines in to irrigation to reduce on shield production and thus pollution.
                        HAHA I'll have to send you a save of my current game. The freaking French wouldn't stop nuking the Babs, so I had to crush them and take all their Uranium deps. Of course, this only happened AFTER the sun turned red (probably 1000 times over). Just about my whole continent (Huge map) is desert. Thanks God for rivers!

Comment

thats what i want to happen! Screw them! I've sent a colony ship to Hiigara!
                          Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                          For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

You guys are a riot.

Comment

the sun turns RED? i've seen it get kinda orangey, but RED? pure madness. of course, i've never played passed the win (or the loss in some cases). and i also always head for the hoover damn (which is nice, becasue the AI seems to generally take a different path)
                              Never laugh at live dragons.
                              B. Baggins

Comment

Working...
                              X