Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat

There have been countless threads about combat and whether it is broken or not.

I realized something reading another thread on this subject, and thought I would share it with you.

I believe the combat situation, the way it is, helps the human player more than the AI.

The most common complaint:
    "spearmen shouldn't beat tanks"

But think this way for a moment, every thread that I have seen by people who play emperor and Diety level games are always behind in tech.

Now if combat wasn't decided the way it is, there would be NO WAY for humans to beat the upper difficulties.

Why?

Because on the upper difficulties you have to attack with inferior tech very often in the beginning.

I f a spearman could never beat cavalry or cavalry couldn't beat MI, there is no way to get even with the AI.

Just my 2 cents.

Comments?
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

I am probably in the minority, but I do not like old units beating modern units, period. If that is required to keep civs alive, I say let them die. No amount of making up scenarios will fly. I am not talking about minor mismatch, only huge ones. 129f has reduce the problem. I can live with it, but I would rather not. Warrior beats Calv, galley beats BB, that stuff. Swords at 322 beating 433 knight, is not a concern. The retorts are alway terrain, combined arms, have massive numbers, etc, but that is not the issue. One should not have to sweat a calv going out to kill a spearmen, not fortified on open fields.

Comment

Just wait. The irregularities and balance issues concerning old vs new units is going to get much more apparent when people actually start playing against other people. The worry regarding tech deficiencies may be valid for the mentally-handicapped AI, but when pitted against true thinking opponants, the fact that the more advanced and expensive units are only nominally more powerful than the less-advanced, cheap units will become more obvious.
      Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Ah, I don't want to post the same stuff in both combat threads. I think the combat system is a step in the right direction. See my last post here.

Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
          Ah, I don't want to post the same stuff in both combat threads. I think the combat system is a step in the right direction. See my last post here.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=2
          That is exactly my point, if this game were simply about tech advantage, we would have no chance at the higher difficulties, because you HAVE to make war to keep up technologically.
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
          X