Please, take a vote! Pre-realese an concept map-editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

...put in the best of the player-created maps?

Hasn't game publishers traditionally done this not in the first release of a game, but rather, in expansion packs or "gold" packs? For example, wasn't this done in one of the Civ2 expansions ("best of the net" senarios). So I doubt they'll do this suggestion with the intial release of civ3.

*grumbles about work*

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 09-26-2000 01:23 PM
      Computer-generated maps can never be as good as handmade maps.

They could be a LOT better than they are now, though. Don't give them a reason to neglect this aspect of the game

We will have those hand-made maps anyway, of course.

------------------
      If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I dont agree. If very hard, if not almost impossible to translate subjective factors like "good-looks" into expressions, conditions and variables.

A map-generator is 100% non-experiencing. It cant look from above and think - "Hey, these continents are pretty eart-like, altrough differently shaped. And the terrain-distrubution is also rather earth-like". You can hardly ask a AI-programmer to incorporate such subjective humanlike factors into dry programming code.

Theres only one way to do it properly, and that is through edit handmade maps.

Comment

*smites UltraSonix for stealing his line*

*tars and feathers Ultra*

I concur. No matter how good we make the map editor, it isn't going to beat a carefully made human crafted map. If we could all contribute some maps, maybe Firaxis will have something in the premade maps section.
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 10-01-2000 07:12 AM
            I dont agree. If very hard, if not almost impossible to translate subjective factors like "good-looks" into expressions, conditions and variables.

Actually, it isn't. There is a vast knowledge about what shapes are appealing to the human eye.

quote:

A map-generator is 100% non-experiencing. It cant look from above and think - "Hey, these continents are pretty earth-like, altrough differently shaped. And the terrain-distrubution is also rather earth-like".

If you generate continents, mountain ridges, seas, rivers and terrain like they came to be in the real world, the result will be halfway Earth-like. Certainly much better than in Civ II. There will be enough parameters to experiment with until you like the results.

------------------
            If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
            A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
            Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Ah, you guys missed my point - it doesn't matter how good hand-crafted maps are ---> game designers just haven't traditionally released user designed-maps(/scenarios) with the first release of a game. Civ2 didn't. So I guess Civ3 won't, either.

------------------
              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

UltraSonix, you are right, but the whole meaning of this thread is: pre-release of the editor will give us the tool.

Usually none fan player can build a map before game is released because none has the tech info about the map, nor the standard graphics to copy from.

I suppose a developer team pressed to release the game for "gold" while ironing as many bugs they can, wouldn't have time to produce a user friendly map editor, without mentioning they may have to change some map attribute to manage some last time function or avoid some bug.

That said, when and if Firaxis will be ready in time, playing with the maps before the game release can be funny. I will like to see not only proper Earth map (or detailed regional map, as Europe), but also a Mars map with ocean added as it could has been, plenty of time ago (think about a S.F. mod where you develop life to Mars, then the planet become inabitable and you must build a fleet of ship to reach the Earth instead of Alpha Centauri ).

------------------
                Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

oh my god! *can't believe his eyes!*

Why am I seeing such rubbish again!?

Too often I see people trying to come up with ideas to get a peice of the game asap! What? Do you think Firaxis is that stoopid? Crimey...

Comment

Icedan, if it's a joke, I can't get it.

Who in the neck should care if Firaxis release early a tool to build map? I'm sure map making is not the core of CIV 3 game, so there isn't advantage for other companies.

If you can see the map (not the full editor that can let you build full mod, (units, cities, event triggers and the like), what's the problem?

If you are so afraid of secrets, give us at least the rule to draw coloured gif that a (Firaxis internal keeped) converter can use as input to build a proper 3D map (like SMAC, surely better), changing shade of colors into proper tiles draw.

Rubbish? Stupid? Well, may be working for free to help Firaxis making a better game is stupid, if this is the fan reaction!

------------------
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

hmmp ... "looks like earth ".....

that does sound weird .

do you know that that about 1 billion years ago the world was one large continent ? ... talking about "unearth like " maps . ..... in 150 million years a large part of the continents will reunite in the northen hemisphere , including antratica and everything...

I would be glad to see weather , though...

Dalgetti

------------------
                      We don't prohibit smoking . We discourage inhaling .
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yes, Pangea is a concept quite know today, I suppose

But I see the problem for random map is not to be equal to actual tectonic distribution, but if the terrain sequence is credible enough: desert right near grassland, high mountain on a shore... not feeling very realistic, I must admit.

BTW, I usually prefer random map instead of pre-defined, because I love to discover the terrain, while a defined map isn't a surprise at all.

------------------
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

"BTW, I usually prefer random map instead of pre-defined, because I love to discover the terrain, while a defined map isn't a surprise at all".

Well, thats why we need LOTS of premade maps - preferably about 100+ maps. Once you played the 100:th map, you already forgotten how the topographic looked like in map nr.1 .

We dont lose out anything by promoting this idea. Why some here are so blas´e and negative about it is beyond me. I agree with Empress: "Sounds like a win-win situation to me!".

Comment

The sort of thing you're asking for could ruin their sales.

They're not as stupid as you making them out to be! Or hopefully you just don't understand. (Feel offended now? Feel like you must post against me now?)

They would *PRETTY MUCH* have to FINISH the game, before they could even consider doing something like that!

Sure! I would love to see a screenshot, or get a peice of Civ3 asap in any shape or form. But it's that temptation that is going to ruin it all.

*Prays to God* Let this idea die, the embarrasment is too much!

No I'm not joking!

Comment

I dont think we are talking about the same thing. I am not talking about an almost finished beta-release of an Civ-3 map-editor, with fancy interface and terrain-graphic and all that.

I am talking about an 400-500K byte freeware-release from Firaxis with blocky one-coloured squares for each Civ-3 terrain-type (my own quote: "primitive concept Civ-3 mapeditor"). Firaxis could then, then the time is ripe, convert those blocky premature maps to real Civ-3 looking maps.
                              In terms of interface-design this freeware-release dont have to look ANYTHING at all like the real thing.
                              In fact, working with the old Civ-2 map-editor would be enough, if Firaxis would go out and say: "We are going to include a conversion-tool from the mapeditor in Civ-2, to the mapeditor in Civ-3".

Now, read above and compare it with your statement below. Cant you see how overreactive and ridicoules your fears are?

"The sort of thing you're asking for could ruin their sales". (Please!).

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited October 03, 2000).]

Comment

I see, there are still too many problems they would face.

The biggest one being they would have to predict what the interface will be like when its finished. And since I don't think they can, I don't think they will waste their time doing something like this.

Why don't you just draw one up, send it, and maybe they'll get one of their artists to make the map.

Comment

Working...
                                X