Suggestion For Making Marines More Useful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion For Making Marines More Useful

Everyone knows that marines are useful in maybe one out of every 100 games. They are even less useful since it has been verified that 1 tile islands cannot exist. I have never built a marine, except for fun. Now here is my suggestion for making marines more useful: make them need no resources or just rubber. Marines need oil and rubber, so do tanks. They cost the same amount. So why build a marine over a tank? After reading a thread about an oil-less late industrial war, I thought---why not make marines not need oil, or need no resources? They have a decent attack (10) and a decent defense (8), so they could be quite useful, replacing the crappy 6 attack cavalry. They could go from not useful at all to quite pivotal in games where you do not have oil.

So, to sum up: make marines not need oil, or not need anything!

Anyone agree?
    "Nos moritori te salutamus!"---Gladiator Phrase

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Forever!

Marines attack 8 and defend 6...

And they are the only unit that can do amphibious assaults.

Some say that on amphibious assaults all defense bonuses are discarded and dont participate, but this is unconfirmed.

Marine armies being able to do amphibious assaults would be very usefull.

Amphibious assaults, I am sure, will be your biggest fear in multiplayer.
    Vini, Vidi, Poluti.

Comment

Re: Suggestion For Making Marines More Useful

Originally posted by cgannon64
      Everyone knows that marines are useful in maybe one out of every 100 games. They are even less useful since it has been verified that 1 tile islands cannot exist. I have never built a marine, except for fun. Now here is my suggestion for making marines more useful: make them need no resources or just rubber. Marines need oil and rubber, so do tanks. They cost the same amount. So why build a marine over a tank? After reading a thread about an oil-less late industrial war, I thought---why not make marines not need oil, or need no resources? They have a decent attack (10) and a decent defense (8), so they could be quite useful, replacing the crappy 6 attack cavalry. They could go from not useful at all to quite pivotal in games where you do not have oil.

So, to sum up: make marines not need oil, or not need anything!

Anyone agree?
      I do pretty much the same thing, give them no pre. req., and I also reduce their cost. But I don't understand the part about 1 tile islands. In the world map (huge) that comes with the game, their are a number of 1 tile islands that can only be taken by marines.
      Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by XOR
        Marine armies being able to do amphibious assaults would be very usefull.
        Can Marines in an Army make Amphibious assaults?
        "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Nope, no Marine Armies.

(and in RL, it's Marine Divisions!)
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Argh... I just checked it in a save game... damn... I had two marine armies just waitning to go... and now they are junk... *shrug*

Is this something that will be adressed in a patch?

-Alech
            "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Don't know... I know that Soren is aware of it.

BTW, they are NOT junk!! (if you don;t know, I am an Army fan)

Build the Pentagon, and throw Infantry into each... that's still a general, take-no-prisoners, badass Army.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

In one of my latest games, i was at war with England, and we were both early modern era

i WAS playing a resource-deprevation war, always pilaging their oil and rubber. im pretty sure they didnt have any

but they never built a single tank. 100% Marines

I crumpled them good! But it was shocking that they refused to build tanks, and only built marines, even before i took away their oil and rubber.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

"Build the Pentagon, and throw Infantry into each..."

I have the pentagon, they consist of 4 Marines...

BTW, I looked at the Army in the editor, and it is listed with the Blitz ability. Does that mean that Cavalry can Blitz if you put it in an Army?

I added the Amphibious ability to the Army as well, not sure if that's a good fix, but it's something....

-Alech

Comment

* Yes, Cavalry armies can blitz (or even chariot armies. ).

* The earth map is manually created and thus has 1-tile islands. The random map generator doesn't make 1-tile islands, however.

I suspect the AI will favour building Marines heavily over Tanks if Marines are made cheaper or to require less resources. The best bet would probably be to increase its stats to maybe 12/10 or something.

Comment

I made some radical changes concerning the Marine unit.

Keeping D-Day in mind, I moved Infantry to Amphibious assault and gave it Amphib. ability. I then moved Marines to Computer and replaced Mech Infantry. I then made Marines have the same stats as Mech Infantry. I then moved Mech Infantry to Syth. Fibors.

At which point it got tricky. What I did then is look at some websites and found which countries use Abrams (MA) and gave those civs the ability to build Abrams. The rest build MI (the MI have the stats as MAs).
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                        At which point it got tricky. What I did then is look at some websites and found which countries use Abrams (MA) and gave those civs the ability to build Abrams. The rest build MI (the MI have the stats as MAs).
                        Nice! But what did you do with your MAs? Left them as is? That would diminish their significance as they only would have an adv. of 1 movement? What stats did you give Abrams?

So long...
                        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

The point about 1-tile islands doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

You can have a VERY LARGE island and simply have the outer edge surrounded by workers or warriors...whatever. If you haven't set your bombard units to be able to kill, then you can't ever attack this island - no matter what the size of the island/continent.

So the point is, if you have the ability to kill units with air and sea units, you NEVER need to build a marine.

Comment

Originally posted by fittstim
                            So the point is, if you have the ability to kill units with air and sea units, you NEVER need to build a marine.
                            ... Unless it is a worker or other non-combatant, which cannot be bombarded.

Comment

[DELETED]
                              Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Working...
                              X