Can I move the Forbidden Palace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move the Forbidden Palace?

I usually build the FP after my main group of cities are built and further peaceful expansion is not possible. However, later in the game when I have, for example, assimilated another civ I want to move my FP. Now I know I could just build a new Palace, but your not supposed to just move your Capitol around willy nilly

So, is there a way to make it so that I can build a new FP in a different city?
    "Slander, lies, character assassination--these things are a threat to every single citizen everywhere in this country. And when even one American--who has done nothing wrong--is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril" - Harry S. Truman, Address at the Dedication of the New Washington Headquarters of the American Legion, August 14, 1951

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

No. It is a small wonder. Wonders may never be built again once completed.

Each civ may build each small wonder once.

Each large wonder may only be built once, period.

The palace is not a wonder.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

well, you can, if you really neede to.
      If you destroy it (abandon city), you can (re)build it someplace else.
      Does seem abit drastic.
      Still, it is an option
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You can rebuild it if lost? Wow. I was under the impression you could not.

Can you rebuild Great Wonders if you abandon the city?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No, I think GWs lost are gone forever.

stonewall, there actually is a strategy for moving your Palace around, having to do with productivity and culture flipping. In both the General and Strategy forums, there have been recent threads on this topic. So far, I think, Catt has laid out the best example of this, using Palace moves to advantage in a difficult deity game. I've just been experimenting / learning how do do it this weekend, and it's very effective.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
            No, I think GWs lost are gone forever.

stonewall, there actually is a strategy for moving your Palace around.......
            I know I could do that, but I seem to have a sentimental attachment to my capital city

Is there a way to change the FP in the editor to allow it to be sold (for 0 gold), then rebuilt somewhere else?

I guess I will have to read those Palace stategies you mentioned...thanks.
            "Slander, lies, character assassination--these things are a threat to every single citizen everywhere in this country. And when even one American--who has done nothing wrong--is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril" - Harry S. Truman, Address at the Dedication of the New Washington Headquarters of the American Legion, August 14, 1951

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Comment

Stonewall:

Can't be sold unless you turn it into an improvement, which would remove the FP's powers.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

And I don't think it would have an effect on your current game anyway, since the rules are loaded at the start and stay the same throughout the game, IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

And I don't think it would have an effect on your current game anyway, since the rules are loaded at the start and stay the same throughout the game, IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                Yes, you're right about that. Once the game has started, the rules can't be changed, you have to start a new game.

Comment

Originally posted by stonewall

I know I could do that, but I seem to have a sentimental attachment to my capital city
                  You'll need to get over this. Palace location can be a very valuable tool. In nearly every game your initial palace location will end up sub-optimal for the late game, either due to corruption/productivity or culture reasons.
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by stonewall

I'm with you. I can't see playing the Romans, not having Roma the seat of power. I usualy just do what you do, wait until I can't expand anymore.

Besides, I think it's a bad omen to play as Rome and move the capital, since that's what they did and look what happened.

I would like to the FP to move around, at least at a limit of 2 or 3 times then that's it.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

I'm with you. I can't see playing the Romans, not having Roma the seat of power. I usualy just do what you do, wait until I can't expand anymore.

Besides, I think it's a bad omen to play as Rome and move the capital, since that's what they did and look what happened.
                      Meh, just rename wherever you move the palace to Rome.
                      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

Meh, just rename wherever you move the palace to Rome.

Rename a city? Blasphemous!
                        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

Rename a city? Blasphemous!
                          He, he, he Blasphemous but smart! Nice suggestion Vlad!

I don't use to rename my cities, but sometimes for strategical reason I give away bad placed town just conquered to another Civ.
                          In that case, to avoid silly mistakes, I usually rename it "Gift" or "ForSale", just to be sure when I pick it up from the list in diplomacy screen.
                          Still, is very funny that AI Civ usually keep the crazy name I chose until the game end
                          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Forbidden Palace is the WORST small wonder in the game, why? Simply this: you always need a minimum of 120 turns to finish it. I always use it as mi "capitol in a far area full of cities" like new continents, but the dramatic corruption rate always slows the building.

*PLEASE FIRAXIS* Is possible that when you start Forbidden Palace, a "royal member" is send to the city to manage the building and this reduces the corruption to the true capitol amount? *please* *please* *please*
                            Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Most people do 'burn' a GL to build their FP IMO.

It should not be to easy to build it, again IMHO.

btw: I never move my palace either
                              ( does the AI use this palace jump tactic?? Maybe we should just start to call this an exploit then. )
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X