Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui on 05-23-2000 09:37 PM
    They can't do this! Because Civ goes into SMAC, and in SMAC, there was no communication back with Earth..

I don't see why, in SMAC earth was in turmoil and anarchy ruled, but if we retrace history and change it, IMHO this is how civ does it look at the civ history or fantasy thread, then you might not have the different ideologies and fusion reactor failure. Your ship has to keep in contact with you or you would assume it is dead and didn't make it and you didn't win the game.

------------------
    I use this email
    (stupid cant use hotmail)
    gamma_par4@hotmail.com
    Don't ask for golf tips
    Your game will get worse

Comment

This leads to some complicated questions of how Civ III will flow into SMAC. To win Civ you have to be a very accomplished and successful civ, while to start SMAC, Earth has to be in anarchy and looking to escape. That is why I do not think going to AC can be a game winning condition in Civ III, may be setting up colonies on the moon or something. But SMAC must be colonized by an Earth population that is taking the last chance for the human race if the story is to continue.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I also enjoyed the civ 1 intro, low end graphics as it was. I recently got civnet (to help feed my multiple civ addiction) and notice it has an intro obviously similar to Civ 2. Civ 2 was more "mood setting" than hyping up like civ 1 was. I think we could take the best of both civ 1 and civ 2 to create a great opening cinematic.

The big bang and quick formation of the solar system (like in civ 2). from solar system, camera zoom in to earth in its orbit, the watch the earth cool in a few seconds and land and oceans form. Greenery spreads across the continents (which are slowly changing shape). windows appear with 2 second scenes from the surface. Dinosaurs, sabretooth tigers, Cro magnon man. A look of wonder as a man holds a firebrand. swoop over a village. Etc. as the scenery in the windows continues to change, the world behind the windows takes shape and we see roads appearing, little ships on the water, planes, and finally sattelites circling. about a minute all told.
        that's my 2 cents.
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I actually liked both the SMAC and the CTP intro's. They both got you pumped up to play. With SMAC it made you determined to do things differently (until you discovered the impact laser while everyone else was stuck with regular lasers). With the CTP intro I liked how it ran through history.

Father Beast: I think that your intro sounds almost perfect. A nice formation of the solar system a quick tour through history, all based on the Civ1 intro. Aggghhhh .... too many good memories .... It's 4 in the morning all over again!!

------------------
          - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
          Mars Colonizer Mission
          - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
          Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Biddles, I also liked the AC intro, if it's the same one that's in the demo (I don't have the full game yet). Very cool showing the breakoff of the pods and all, giving someone who hasn't read the manual (and doesn't have it) a start into the game.
            I don't know what the CTP intro was like. can you describe it?

Umm.. Lightening and DanQ, I can't get that file to work. I have Real G2, do I need a later version?
            [This message has been edited by Father Beast (edited May 28, 2000).]
            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Just for those who can't even remember the Civ1's opening text:

Narrated Intro Theme[/b]

Text in Civ1 Introduction, narrated by DanQ

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

CTP Intro: Roman Trireme sailing along, the centurion gets out and plants hist flag thingy in the sand. Next scene, run through shot of a midieval city, into cathederal where the bishop is coronating the king. The king walks out to the cheers of his people, shows the civ's flag on the top of the place or cathederal, it's the same as the 'roman' one. Next scene, Nazi bombers are flying over the same city (modern day though!), camera pans down to show a brigade of nazi tanks, one of which takes aim and blows the top of the cathederal\palace away. Nazi troops march into the city. Next scene shows the ruins of the palace surounded by the banners of the original civ. Camera pans back to show a futuristic city and a ship which flies into space.

The best thing is the background music, sorry can't really explain that.

------------------
                - Biddles

Mars Colonizer Mission
                - Biddles

Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Nice, cool intro, but once again: how many times do you watch them?

My proposal fell in the dark, so probably I'm wrong, but no one really like the idea of a more game-related, never-the-same, intro?

As I already suggested, I will like some scene reproducing (in short) the growth of my original tribe, with population wandering and hunting, some trouble that force them to pack things from old village (sometime a fire, another the end of last ice age, yet another time a famine because of bad hunting season, a minor skirmish with another tribe) and start the voyage (first settler appearance) to a new place.

Using the new game engine Firaxis can change the opening scene every time a new
                  game start (different terrain, different race, different event that start the voyage).

It can justify your initial knowledge and your first needs too: if you flee from a fight, your first bonus unit will be a warrior, if you come from good land because of extended fire you can have the extra settler, if you survive from ice age instead of vulcano eruption you'll start in some kind of continental forest terrain instead of tropical insland.

Looking at the opening sequence you can gain a bit more feeling and info about your Civ start.

That would be a start that you will be less ready to skip the second game you play!

The whole civilization history is, IMHO, better used at the end (replay) of game, where putting cut scene and text is more on the "history" side than on the game promise.

Of course, any promotional trailer movie must show either part, the intro and the replay, to let potential players take a look at the whole beast

------------------
                  Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

If you want to see the CTP opening movie and you don't have the game you can download it from Activision. This version has a smaller picture size and a lesser picture quality (file size 13 MB compared to 30 MB for the one on the game CD) but it should give you an indication of what it looks like.

Comment

btw, they're making SMACII, they're not going to merge Civ3 into SMAC.

The only way to do it, is to have several endings and several beginnings.

So Dinosaurs will have several endings, and Civ3 will have several beginnings which link from Dinosaurs ending, then Civ3s ending will link to Smac2's beginning.

Comment

No. They won't. People keep insisting on it, but they won't. Particularly the Dinos to Civ3 link. Won't happen, and there's no need to.

- MKL
                        - mkl

Comment

SMACII? Where did you hear it?

------------------
                          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
                          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

SMACII firaxis better not be, or we might have to march on wherever Firaxis is at, aren't they in Maryland. I'll get my baseball bat and snowboarding mask, muahahahahaha, down with SMACII Civ3 first.

*Par4 starts swinging a bat around, accidently hits monitor*

------------------
                            I use this email
                            (stupid cant use hotmail)
                            gamma_par4@hotmail.com
                            Don't ask for golf tips
                            Your game will get worse
                            OMG if your hard drive dies,
                            And you ain't got backup of your files
                            Life sucks
                            Although I am doing a lot more Mountain Biking

Comment

Hmm.. I kinda liked the CTP intro...

------------------
                              -Shiva
                              Email: shiva@mailops.com
                              Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva

Comment

I've read it somewhere a long time ago, something about upgrading SMAC to Civ3's standards.

I like seeing the FMV's because it adds a minute of life to my civ up close!

Comment

Working...
                                X