No announcement yet.

The new WoW section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely, there was lost of talk about the Human Genome project when I first came to Apolyton, haven't seen much of late. But yes, definitely a future wonder candidtate. I hear it's 95% complete

Should the Cure for Cancer be a future wonder or a modern epoch wonder? I know at least a few people didn't like it as a wonder in the game b/c it hasn't been discovered yet.

------------------
    ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

Cure for Cancer has to come before the Human Genome Project because the Human Genome Project will find cures for all dieseases and make real time genetically engineering a reality, the HGP will also find answers to many hotly debated questions like if homosexuality is a choice or a chromosone(sp) and if some people are born evil. Really interesting stuff, I'm glad my{parents} tax money is going to good things like this and not just deadbeats living on welfare. For anyone who doesn't know(if there are any here) the Human Genome Project is a project coordinated in the US{mainly} to map and catalog all the chromosones of the human body so we can find out why some are immune to AIDS and cancer and ebola then transplant those genes(made in a lab) into others and change the DNA code of babies(if parents want) to have the body create those chromosones, which could change skin color, hair, personality, everything about a human, ever wanted your children to be as smart as stephen hawking and a buff as arnold, you can do it with the HGP. Of course there are those who say there is some moral problem with this, well Pfffff to you too when you die of cancer thats your problem. But seriously I see no reason why the DNA code is so hotly guarded and taboo to change, anyone care to inform me? Maybe we'll get human cloning too

------------------
      I use this email
      (stupid cant use hotmail)
      gamma_par4@hotmail.com
      Don't ask for golf tips
      Your game will get worse

Comment

Allright, I love these future wonders.
        If there is a future age, the Human Genome Project could act as a defense against germ warfare. Your soldiers would be immune to biological attacks since it would be assumed that they've all been innoculated.
        First Man On The Moon was just off the top of my head. and yeah, it was just a "hey we made it" thing. I basically remember that at the time of the moon landing, people all over were celebrating and congratulating the americans. I remember ccounts of over in England, they hated the us because of that vietnam business, but forgot all about it in the hoopla of the moon landing. Obviously it's scope must be very limited. how about no unhappy citizens in any of your cities for five turns?
        The World Wide Web. Wish I'd thought of that. How about it acts as an internet improvement in each of your cities AND allows other civs to build internet improvements. I've always hated the wonders which you worked hard to build, then gave you no special advantage.
        Space elevator. I picture this as being VERY expensive, but recouping the cost within the first few turns after completion. admittedly, I haven't thought this through, just figured that space travel would be made vastly cheaper. How about it halves the cost of your AC ship parts, due to the vastly reduced cost of lifting them to orbit before launch.
        about the 3G dam vs hoover: why not both? specifically named wonders should be specific to the civilization. I always wondered how the japs managed to kidnap Leonardo and make him build that shop! so Sun Tzu's academy built by the greeks would be Alexander the great's academy, the hoover dam would only be called HOOVER if it were built by the americans.
        About Norad, instead of being able to see all air moves (imagine the map jumping around to all those places) how about counts as SDI for all land within your borders (if we have borders)
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Man I thought up the WWW idea for internet just not the internet improvement in all cities, its in the new tech concept thread. No but seriously I don't really care. The idea about the internet upgrade is really good but this is starting to conflict with internet provider corporations I imagine from the corporation thread, of course there could be both and the corporation increases happiness or something, but how exactly does the internet increase science output, I see it more as a tool to increase production or something because your people become more innovative, please clarify.

------------------
          I use this email
          (stupid cant use hotmail)
          gamma_par4@hotmail.com
          Don't ask for golf tips
          Your game will get worse

Comment

Basically I see it as a science improvement because it deals with knowledge and information. There was talk about having your Civ lose sciences during dark ages and if you don't maintain libraries and universities and such, so if this is implemented I would have it retain all of your civ's sciences. But I don't know if this will be in the game so I have it as a science booster.

Also, isn't "first man on the moon" the same as Apollo Program?

------------------

[This message has been edited by OrangeSfwr (edited May 23, 2000).]

Comment

About the "Mini wonders" idea.
              The Idea is that Mini wonders provide a neccesary bonus to each civ, but can only be built once by each civ.
              We already have one in civ 2.
              It's your palace, with its decrease of corruption effects.
              I'm sure others are possible.
              BTW, has anyone considered selling off their palace after becoming a democracy?
              [This message has been edited by Father Beast (edited May 24, 2000).]

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

The palace can be built more than once, just only one city can house it. BTW: I never thought about selling the palce...how much Gold is it worth?

------------------

Comment

About the www. I consider it a science boost because of the ability of diverse people to participate in research or development. a minor example which impressed me was when Firaxis asked for some suggestions here at apolyton and got 250 PAGES of SUMMARIES. get stuck on a problem? someone on the internet has good ideas, and probably several people.
                  I hadn't considered Apollo to be the same as the First Man On Moon, beause they're different effects. Apollo starts off the space race by putting a man (or maybe just a sattelite) in orbit, thus proving it can be done, and bringing back pictures in the process (reveal map). First man on moon would be a happiness thing.
                  I think the palace can be sold for 200.
                  Back to the WWW. I think that the internet improvement for cities increases science by getting their citizens involved in the internet. previously, they may have had good ideas, but not an effective way to voice them.

Comment

Again, if civ specific names are used for wonders than there needs to be a Russian equivalent to the Apollo Program, especially if Apollo P is simply to show that satallites and space missions are possible. After all, the U.S.S.R. did get to space way before my home country.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Vanishpoint came up with what I think is a great idea for the Statue of Liberty in another thread. I brought it here to be commented on.

quote:

how about modifying the statue of liberty's ability so that it draws people from all over the world to settle in your nation?

What do you think?
                      It makes sense for the Wonder and also deals with the migration issue.

------------------

Comment

Orangesfwr, I am confused on the Statue Of Liberty's proposed function. Does it make sense for people to want to migrate to your civilization if you change to a fundamentalism? does this relate to a migration model that I haven't heard about? or would it just reduce the amount of food needed to grow? Would the need for the ability to change governments on the fly be outmoded by some other government model?
                        Explain please.

Comment

Hnmmm, didn't think about how it would clash with Government/Religion (if it's in Civ 3). Maybe only as a Democracy it would work, but also have another function that way it wouldn't be a useless wonder for Republics or other forms of government? Any thoughts?

------------------

Comment

The one change I would most like to see, is Civ III finally using the real, original seven wonders of the world.

------------------
                            Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
                            Hasdrubal's Home.
                            Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

I dunno, i thought that myself. But that would disclude (is that a word?) The Great Wall and Great Library. Plus, aren't some of them pretty much the same, just tombs of different leaders. I'd rather replace the statue of zeus with the GW.

BTW: I found an interesting fact about the Colossus...

"Let us first clear a misconception about the appearance of the Colossus. It has long been believed that the Colossus stood in front of the Mandraki harbor, one of many in the city of Rhodes, straddling its entrance. Given the height of the statue and the width of the harbor mouth, this picture is rather impossible than improbable. Moreover, the fallen Colossus would have blocked the harbor entrance. Recent studies suggest that it was erected either on the eastern promontory of the Mandraki harbor, or even further inland. Anyway, it did never straddle the harbor entrance."

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by OrangeSfwr on 05-28-2000 10:38 AM
                                Vanishpoint came up with what I think is a great idea for the Statue of Liberty in another thread. I brought it here to be commented on.

What do you think?
                                It makes sense for the Wonder and also deals with the migration issue.

hmmp I don't think that the statue was the thing that made all those ppl come to the US ..... I wonder what made a bigger influence , freedom of religion or some big piece of Bronze ( ohh did I say that ?!! ) . a very nice piece of bronze . a sculpture . but , making ppl migrate ? nop I don't think so . maybe it should boost tourism , or something ...

------------------
                                Prepare to Land !
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X