Did you know that your armies can do this:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JohnM2433,

You're kidding right? What do you think the Mongols used? Even the young mongol children were able to ride at a full gallop and shoot their bows accurately.

And their standard tactic was to rush up to the enemy lines, shooting all the way, and then wheel off and appear to be retreating. As soon as the enemy broke formation to pursue, the Mongols would wheel and then the bows really did some damage.

In the game, I think that for balance, you don't want a foot unit able to upgrade to a mounted unit, ie Swordsman to Knight. Despite the cost in gold, the AI Civ's would not take advantage of it as a human player would, and again, you have another rush strategy.

As for Cavalry upgrading to Tanks, I know a real-life precident for this: my grandfather's military career. He joined the Wehrmacht a couple of years before WWII as a cavalry officer. He was still training on tanks in 1939 and his division wasn't sent to the front lines until the invasion of France.

That's the nice thing about modding: you can change to suit your own taste.

D.
    "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
    leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
      As for Cavalry upgrading to Tanks, I know a real-life precident for this: my grandfather's military career. He joined the Wehrmacht a couple of years before WWII as a cavalry officer. He was still training on tanks in 1939 and his division wasn't sent to the front lines until the invasion of France.
      Excellent. My idea wasn't far from the truth. Do I know you?

Amen.
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

You're kidding right? What do you think the Mongols used? Even the young mongol children were able to ride at a full gallop and shoot their bows accurately.
        Hey, I just said that I didn't know about any such thing. I'm pretty much an ignoramus when it comes to actual world history. Some day I should at least read some of the descriptions in the Civilopedia...
        "God is dead." - Nietzsche
        "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

hi ,

after playing a bit with the editor , .....

its great to have a marine or paratroop army , ......

and the good news is ; if you let the AI start with some , the AI actually uses them , .....

in 22 games where the each civ started with 12 of them the AI used about 3 for paratroopers and about 3 for marines , ....

thanks Soren , ...

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433

Hey, I just said that I didn't know about any such thing. I'm pretty much an ignoramus when it comes to actual world history. Some day I should at least read some of the descriptions in the Civilopedia...
            Today's history lesson. The Crusaders who went to Israel, to free Jerusalem from Islam, had a hell of a time with horse archers. Since the European knights were so burdened with their armour, the Muslim's "cavalry" could run in and out, firing arrows without very much opposition. By the time the knights reached the location of the horse archer, they were long gone.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Europeans had alot of experience with siege warfare, they probably wouldn't have had a chance in the Middle East. Even still, they never really defeated the Muslims, it more or less ground down to a stalemate.

Comment

JohnM2433,

D.

And tanks are still called cavalry. It's just armored cav now.
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I suspect that if a very large army comes to your land and leaves more or less intact, it would not feel like a victory. It would be very costly to the host. Mind you I am not saying that is what happened, only that I bet they suffered a great deal. Kind of like Vietnam, the people did not win anything and lost about 2, 000,000 (their number). They got a new leader, really nothing more. The land did not change hands, only one party took control over another. At least it stopped after how many decades.

Comment

hi ,

what we should have is some type of mech infantry that "holds" a foot unit , .....

, put four of these in an army , .....

what is also intresting would be to have a naval fleet , .... it should only hold two units or so , ....

what about an air wing , ...

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                  X