1.29 vs 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.29 vs 1.21

How has the 1.29 patch affected your game strategy?

If that's too wide open a question: what is the single biggest change you've made in your gameplay since downloading 1.29?
    Jack

THough my game play has not changed that much I find the game better under to 1.29 patch
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

All my game strategies work better with the latest patch.

Comment

Re: 1.29 vs 1.21

Originally posted by MyOlde
        If that's too wide open a question: what is the single biggest change you've made in your gameplay since downloading 1.29?
        Playing on Emperor, mostly, I now do a lot more of my own research than I did under 1.21. I also try to build the Great Library now whereas before I would ignore it / look to capture it from a neighbor.

Catt

Comment

The 1.29f patch was an editor patch. Not much was done in terms of fixing gameplay.

I mentioned this in another thread, so I'll keep it short here. The AI seems to break up my attack strageties better now then it did before.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

1.29f allowed me to put the final touch on my mod: no cities allowed in tundra, deserts, jungles or forests.

So my strategy (an the AI's) now includes lots of colonies, and protecting those colonies. The AI appears quite adept at adapting to the change, by the way.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
              The 1.29f patch was an editor patch. Not much was done in terms of fixing gameplay.

I mentioned this in another thread, so I'll keep it short here. The AI seems to break up my attack strageties better now then it did before.
              Seems to be contrary points

I'm only playing my second game of 1.29 on regent. Again, I'm way way behind on techs despite having the GL. I havent got railroads yet and the lead AI civ has BUILT sufferage. The slowdown may have been because of my 5000 year war with barbs and then the english. Despite having destroyed or captured 4 english cities they're still ahead of me. It sure doesnt seem like the "AI tech whoring" has been fixed, it seems worse to me. I'll have to play my next game with a favorite civ instead of random (zulu now) to see if that's the problem.

The barbs seem much more of a problem now. They were harder to kill and seemed to pop-up more frequently than before.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

1.29f allowed me to put the final touch on my mod: no cities allowed in tundra, deserts, jungles or forests.

So my strategy (an the AI's) now includes lots of colonies, and protecting those colonies. The AI appears quite adept at adapting to the change, by the way.
                Does the AI treat colonies the same way it treats cities when it comes to defense?
                For your photo needs:
                http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I get my ass beaten on emperor level... didn't happen before... the AI is much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
                    I get my ass beaten on emperor level... didn't happen before... the AI is much better now.
                    I don't see how a patch could make a stupid AI smarter. I do know it gave us new features.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

That actually makes colonies useful. Does the AI protect them?

Plus, you can build a city in the jungle but now the spot has to be cleared before the city is made, instead of being cleared instantly.

Godd idea, if it works as well as you say.

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

to bad you couldnt pay the Barbarians to Harass the English.

That would've been a nice touch from Fraxis, just think of the possibilities there, Having them wage a secret war on someone else for you, Secret Alliances like in real life .

Heres a good idea pay(a heavy price or course or for resources you have ) the barbarians for alliances against others or just to play havoc on them, the possibilities are endless.

would've been a lot of fun

HEY FRAXIS SOMETHING FOR CIV.4 OR THE ADD-ONS

Last edited by Sea41571; August 21, 2002, 04:25.
                        Leave the die'n part to the other unlucky bastard ! ! ! !

Comment

OK same game. I'm now number two in power. I've thrown out the English and Greek minicities that hung around on the periphery of my empire. I thought they would flip since they were all much closer to my capital than theres and my happy-happy Democratic civ but never did despite my best efforts.

Despite these warfare victories I'm still behind on tech with 3 of the other 4 civs by 1970 or so (although I'm catching up fast to the English and Greeks who're on their way out). This situation is very strange and had never occured with earlier patches on anything less than emperor.

A thought just occured to me. My pop is still fairly low in some major producing cities which indicates to me that I may not have had the best start position (theres a lot of plains).
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Is it just me, or is the AI building less units than before?

The americans built a carrier (first time I've seen that) but I'm not sure if it was used effectively.

Comment

The question is: Is there ANY way a carrier can be used effectively.

Once I built 3 carriers with std. game. Loaded them up with 2 bombers and 2 fighters each. But apart from softening up his cities and trying to destroy his infrastructure I achieved nothing. It was especially frustrating to clean his infrastructure, because he had so many workers and they simply would not die no matter how many bombing runs I did. So every turn the whole infrastructure was rebuilt. This was really annoying!!

WORKERS MUST BE VULNERABLE TO BOMBARDING!!

Next problem that dissapointed me much was that out of his cities came one battleship, bombarded mine and disappeared back into the port. Great, I could do NOTHING against it. My battleship just would not want to fire back.

I DEMAND BOMBARD BACK FIRING IF THE UNIT HAD NOT BOMBARDED IN HIS TURN AND HAD AT LEAST 1 MP LEFT.

Comment

Working...
                              X