Kamikaze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamikaze!

Hey all. I just thought I would post a poll here, saying whether a new Civ game should have an action for air planes, where you can "Kamikaze" into an enemy unit/city. This would be good if your plane couldn't make it back to an airbase before they're feul ran out.
    Yes! KAMIKAZEEEEEEEEE... BOOM!
    39.39%
    No! Keep those planes in the sky!
    24.24%
    Yeah... but I won't go over board with it.
    27.27%
    It would make no difference what so ever.
    9.09%

I don't know whether it would be a good idea for all planes to be able to, but I once made a Civ2 scenario with Kamikaze bombers in, and the AI built hundreds of them! One city with two AEGIS cruisers and a SAM battery (that's x8 defense, IIRC) fended off about 40 bomber attacks in one turn (without losing any units, but both cruisers were half dead). I've never seen the AI do anything in such excess...

Comment

Generally threads with such general ideas over civ games would be belonging here...
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Kamikaze doesn't make sense. Soldiers don't willingly kill themselves. It takes strategy out of the game.

But since this whole issue isn't relevant to CivIII where bombers never run out of fuel (unlike CivI and CivII), I'm wondering what the point is???

P.S. Sorry if that sounds nasty. I'm just wondering if you meant this in a civII or civIII context?

Comment

You got Kamikaze pilots in WWII - that's where the term comes from: the Japanese suicide pilots.

redbull, just give planes the Cruise Missile ability and you have your kamikaze
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          Odysseus and the March of Time
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by fittstim
            Kamikaze doesn't make sense. Soldiers don't willingly kill themselves. It takes strategy out of the game.
            There must be limitation to the idea. I would see it being confined to one gov (fundamentalism - but its not there) OR mass suicides aggravating war weariness greatly.
            "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
              You got Kamikaze pilots in WWII - that's where the term comes from: the Japanese suicide pilots.
              Really!?!?! I didn't know that

The point isn't whether a few loyal/warped pilots volunteered/were welded into the cockpit of a plane that was then loaded with explosives. The point is that the Kamikaze is not a "unit" any more than a "suicide bomber" or the opium-hazed Assassins of the Crusades era would be. They are blips on the screen. A sorry few compared to the real units of the armed forces.

Imagine having a waring strategy that was based on killing your own soldiers. What person would support such a thing? The cities would immediately rise up and rebel - switch to a more decent society.

If you want to make the point, then you should make a kamikaze unit appear randomly and rarely - much like a leader. Then you could have your wacko-kamikaze units but wouldn't be able to have a war strategy based on amassing dozens of units.

Comment

I don't see how this concept can fit into Civ 3. For a later civ game I would much prefer that Firaxis would work on the Air and Naval concept a bit more so that we can enjoy them before we go to such units like a Kamikaze, although it's an interesting idea.

Maybe if somebody would do a WWII scenario in the Pacific theater, he could then implement it!

So long...
                Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Really!?!?! I didn't know that

The point isn't whether a few loyal/warped pilots volunteered/were welded into the cockpit of a plane that was then loaded with explosives. The point is that the Kamikaze is not a "unit" any more than a "suicide bomber" or the opium-hazed Assassins of the Crusades era would be. They are blips on the screen. A sorry few compared to the real units of the armed forces.

Imagine having a waring strategy that was based on killing your own soldiers. What person would support such a thing? The cities would immediately rise up and rebel - switch to a more decent society.

If you want to make the point, then you should make a kamikaze unit appear randomly and rarely - much like a leader. Then you could have your wacko-kamikaze units but wouldn't be able to have a war strategy based on amassing dozens of units.
                  fittstim,

the Japanese used kamikaze pilots en mass throughout the late WW2, when desperately trying to stop the US from reaching the Japanese homeland. It was not just a few of them, they were ending their lives in hundreds. Also, the Japanese cities did not appear to rise up and rebel because of that, if you mention it. Actually, becoming a kamikaze was highly esteemed in the Japanese society. It had to do much with the cultural background of the nation.

Saying "what person would..." etc. is much like saying "what person would support suicidal Palestinian bomb-attackers?". However unbelievable and unsupportable this seems to Western people, these things happen and are apparently quite ok with other nations, which have different cultural background.

Said that, I would still not support a kamikaze unit to be included, mostly because even though they were used in big numbers, they were not very effective and meant very little as far as the military importance was concerned.

BTW... although the principle of kamikaze was tied mostly to planes/pilots, it was used, to an extent, with ships, too... The Japanese battleship Yamato (one of the grandest battleships ever built) joined by several smaller vessels ended her life in a futile attempt to suicidally intercept the US fleet. Had fuel enough to make it to the place of encounter only, but not back. Sunk by American naval bombers before having a slightest chance to fire a single shot...

Comment

It makes no difference. Airplanes and anything else that uses bombardment are still horrible. Not worth the time to build.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

But since this whole issue isn't relevant to CivIII where bombers never run out of fuel (unlike CivI and CivII), I'm wondering what the point is???
                      Those were the days.

I'm leaning towards having Firaxis go back to that system if they won't increase the range beyond 8 in the editor.
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

The Nazi's had suicide soldiers, people who'd lost the whole of their family in the eastern front or through bombing raids could join a unit who would do missions that success would only come if the soldiers didn't care if they lived or died!
                        Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                        For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
                          The Nazi's had suicide soldiers

How about replace the Samuri with the BONZI! unit.

Comment

I voted no, i'm tired of WW2!
                            Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

BTW to Thrawn: No probs with huge maps? I have a p3-550 too and I have probs! Why?
                              Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Working...
                              X