naming elite units and leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naming elite units and leaders

ive noticed something and was hoping to see if anyone else had seen this too
    i have plenty of elite infantry units and i start a war, i get a GL and it asks me to rename my unit. i dont care about the renaming thing so i leave it as infantry (default) and i go and use my leader. i find that no other infantry units seem to be able to create leaders now. i try many,many elite infantry battles but nothing but i do get one using a elite cavalry.

my question is do i have to give my *unit a new name to be able to generate more leaders with that type of unit?

when i got tanks i named my * units tank1,tank2, and got plenty of leaders .

i think that if a unit is renamed a default name, its not going to be able to generate any more units that would have the same default name.

if this is true then be sure to name your * units something other than the default if you want more leaders from than type of unit

if its not true then i had a terrible streak of luck one night with 40+ elite infantry

thx

Pure luck (bad) for you. Renaming should not affect your chances of generating a GL. I have gotten GLs, chosen to not rename the unit, and still generated GLs from the same type of unit (i.e., I have received two GLs from different horsemen, and teo GLs from different knights - chosing not to rename the initial GL-producing unit in each case).

I've had bad streaks as well- painful.

Catt

Comment

Re: naming elite units and leaders

Originally posted by reefer addict
      if its not true then i had a terrible streak of luck one night with 40+ elite infantry
      As Catt says: bad luck. But remember the any unit with an asterisk * cannot generate a GL. Also make sure you build the Heroic Epic small wonder. That changes your GL generation odds to 1/12 (that does not mean that in 12 turns you'll get a GL).

The name is just a fluff thing. It has not real meaning and no affect. But do pay attention to that asterisk!

Oh, and also, you'll never gen a GL when fighting barbarians (Firaxis said never).

Comment

I name mine Guards usually. Guards units are elite in many countries throughout history.

If I'm in Monarchy I name the 2nd Royal Guards, 4th Royal Guards, 6th Royal Guards, etc.

If I'm a republic, 2nd Republican Guards, 4th Republican Guards, etc.

If Democracy or Communism, I name them just Guards. 1st Guards, 3rd Guards, etc.

This should fix all your problems!

If your german and raze cities alot you can name them 1st eintzengruppen, 2nd eintzengruppen, 3rd eintzengruppen..

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
          I name mine Guards usually. Guards units are elite in many countries throughout history.

If I'm in Monarchy I name the 2nd Royal Guards, 4th Royal Guards, 6th Royal Guards, etc.

If I'm a republic, 2nd Republican Guards, 4th Republican Guards, etc.

If Democracy or Communism, I name them just Guards. 1st Guards, 3rd Guards, etc.
          Geez - so I suppose you dont ever use elite units for attacking?

Sometimes I wonder if the 'bad spells' Catt mentioned are simply random chance or a secret part of the program Maybe Im being paranoid...
          "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

As I'm not really a militaristic player and I've only played one game since the new patch, I haven't come across this naming feature yet, sounds interesting
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
              Pure luck (bad) for you. Renaming should not affect your chances of generating a GL. I have gotten GLs, chosen to not rename the unit, and still generated GLs from the same type of unit (i.e., I have received two GLs from different horsemen, and teo GLs from different knights - chosing not to rename the initial GL-producing unit in each case).

I've had bad streaks as well- painful.

Catt
              hang on, the whole point behind naming units was so that you;d know which units had generated leaders, and they're supposed to be able to generate a Great Leader more than once!
              Up the Irons!
              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
              Odysseus and the March of Time
              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Utterly useless, IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812

hang on, the whole point behind naming units was so that you;d know which units had generated leaders, and they're supposed to be able to generate a Great Leader more than once!
                  Only if you upgrade 'em and reset the elite/GL counter.

You're able to name them so you know which elite units have generated GLs so you *don't* use them to mop up fragile units to try to generate another GL.

That's why named elite Legions make perfect army additions!

Comment

Can we generate a GL from an army .

Comment

Originally posted by SABRA
                      Can we generate a GL from an army .
                      no, doesn't work!!!!!!
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No, you have it wrong. Once a unit has generated a Leader, it will never be able create another one. That's why they added the naming feature, so you'd know.

Comment

Originally posted by candybo
                          Utterly useless, IMHO
                          If they added some way of giving these units a hotkey, then they'd be onto something. Just put a named unit in charge of a particular theatre, and with a keystroke you could find instantly your way to it's location. Maybe use the number keys, so you could have 10 altogether.

Comment

No, you have it wrong. Once a unit has generated a Leader, it will never be able create another one. That's why they added the naming feature, so you'd know.
                            your unit can generate a new GL IF you have upgraded it after the first GL was created.
                            ( so this does mean, that for example: a swordsman is only able to create ONE GL. )

Edit: Quotes were off
                            Last edited by alva; August 19, 2002, 10:20.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

upgrade?

can I upgrade units in armies? I had an army of riders until the modern times, too bad, some tank ate them for breakfast ;-)
                              et tu, brutus?

Comment

Working...
                              X