No announcement yet.

Nice Touches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think nice touches would have to be optionnal, but I'd like to be able to take a tour inside of my cities, with the tour changing depending on where the city is built, what age we are in, what the level of crime and corruption is, the population of the city and so on, because civ2's city view was just pathetic.
    -- Capitalism slaughterer --

Comment

Nice touches should be only "touches", not very intrusive, not very difficult to programme (so no one will be afraid of "time wasted by programmer instead of...").

I'm not sure if mine will be a nice touche or just an unwanted feature for everyone here (raingoon, now you know how many bitter apolytoner are around here ).

Well, I would like that every now and then a small pop-up will appear with some brief excerpt from real historical documents (translated in current language, of course).

I don't want a full history book, but after a long state of war should be nice to read about some real soldiers life, or after the discovery of industrialization to read about poor workers condition, or after a disease spreading around know some info about losses by real epidemic in past time.

The info's should be related to current game state when possible, so the player can link them to actual actions.

I just want to inject some life into our simulated Civ, and I will like to add the "bottom-down" perspective to actual "from God seat" where every war lost is only a nuisance not a tragedy, every city growth only a sign of power by numbers, not more people you are responsible for.

I would try to show in game a glance of the ethic part of politics (yes, it should be one ) because conquering the whole world on the wings of an apocalictical ecological disaster mustn't be a victory at all.
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I think that there should be some videos available for battles, like when you win a battle with 4 archers and 4 legions (assuming battle looks like CTP), you can then see your archers firind, the other troops dieing, then you can see your legion advancing into enemy lives, and you can see your troops cheering after battle is over. Of course, this could be optionnal, and if you get bored with it, it should be easy to turn off.
        -- Capitalism slaughterer --

Comment

I have one - after taking a city from another civ, a ride through town with your army (In the beginning carried (one of those portable throne's carried by slaves) Horseback, then horsedrawn carraige, than car, future?

------------------
          ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

I agree with Admiral Naismith. 'History Book' style descriptives after/during certain important events would be very cool, or first-hand accounts from witnesses. For instance, there is a food shortage in a city that results in population loss due to famine. A popup window appears with some text, an account of starvation and cannibalism in that city by a historian of the era. I know something of this type can easily take up lots of room in the program, but it would go so far in giving the game that stylish touch of authenticity that's missing from the previous Civ games.

Comment

Thanks for support ajbera!

About your fear of
              quote:

I know something of this type can easily take up lots of room in the program

I think that programming code needed is very small, and Firaxis can put lot of (compressed) text and quite some small pictures in few Mb of CD-Rom.
              In a game where history play a so big role I think that (as usually happens with good movies and books) background play a main role into the deepness of the whole experience.

Firaxis can make a "trigger system" for pop-up that can be used and customized for scenary and mod, too!

------------------
              Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

This thread is a good one, I'm posting to keep it alive and make sure it doesn't disappear into the archives

Happy posting!

------------------
                ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

Working...
                X