Goodie huts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwaf

--The unit popping the hut must not have the "All Terrain As Roads" ability.
    That's interesting because I *know* that I've triggered Barbarians from a hut using an Explorer.
    Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Thanks everyone!

It was very informative.

Comment

Also, goody huts yield better results for Expansionist civs. That needs to be added to that link.

The only times I have gotten town from a goody hut is with an Expansionist civ; I don't know if you can get them with non Expansionist, though.

Comment

Does anyone have the odds for each possible event?

Gold, Settler, nothing, Barbarians, Unit, etc?

Comment

Re: Re: Goodie huts

Originally posted by mwaf

Settler:
            --Player must not have a settler (active or in production) or any unit with the Settle AI strategy.
            --Player must have less cities than (TotalCities / NumActivePlayers).
            I didn't know this! I'm usually expansionist but I rarely get a settler unless I pop a goody hut on the 1st or 2nd turn and now I know why.

Another quirk/exploit/strategy (depending on your point of view)... you will never get the tech that you are currently researching. If you are Expansionist, set your science to research Ceremonial Burial -- Mysticism -- Polytheism and you will most likely have discovered the rest of the Ancient Era techs before you discover Polytheism.

Don't ever, ever, ever, research Iron Working. Your chances are pretty high that you will get Iron Working from the Goody Huts. And being Expansionist, you have discovered a grassland tile with cows or wheat which is pumping out settlers, which you can send toward the iron that you have found with your scouts, and you are the only one who has Iron Working anyway, and so you will be the first one with swords 99% of the time.

There is a "why expansionist should be dropped" thread in PTW that addresses more. Guess which side I'm on.
            I've increased my medication and I am now able to experience pleasure... especially when my Legions march on Berlin and capture the Great Wall! >:-)

Comment

"Settler:
              --Player must have less cities than (TotalCities / NumActivePlayers). "

In other words, only players with less than the average number of cities pop settlers. Interesting.

"Barbarians:
              --Player must not have Expansionist trait. "

Interesting. I wonder if that's the only Expansionist goody-hut-related bonus. Of course, getting barbs less often automatically means getting other stuff more often (duh), but I'd be interested to know if the odds of nothing (deserted village) are reduced too, and if the relative odds of the other results are different. I think someone said Expansionists get better results with scouts than with military units; anyone know anything about that?
              "God is dead." - Nietzsche
              "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
                "Settler:

In other words, only players with less than the average number of cities pop settlers. Interesting.
                That means exploration is even more important on higher levels when the AI usually has more towns at the beginning -- more chances of popping a Settler.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
                  z"Settler:

"Barbarians:
                  --Player must not have Expansionist trait. "

Interesting. I wonder if that's the only Expansionist goody-hut-related bonus.
                  No. The greatest advantage by far to being Expansionist is the free ancient tech.

I think someone said Expansionists get better results with scouts than with military units; anyone know anything about that?
                  Warriors get the same results as Scouts when you play Expansionist.
                  I've increased my medication and I am now able to experience pleasure... especially when my Legions march on Berlin and capture the Great Wall! >:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel
                    Does anyone have the odds for each possible event?

Gold, Settler, nothing, Barbarians, Unit, etc?
                    I don't have the link (and can't find it at the moment with "Search" turned off) but somone over at CivFanatics (sumthinelse?) was doing a lot of testing and sharing results -- only thing I remember with any certainty is that good fortune does indeed become scarcer as the difficulty level rises.

Catt

Comment

By the way, since I learned about the rules for popping a settler, I've been less concerned with producing a settler ASAP from my capitol. Often I will pump out a few extra warriors for exploration/possible bum-rush of a neighbor. The warrior or even archer gambit (archer rush is a bit different, IMO, as it involves multiple cities and a larger # of archers. My archer gambit is 1-2 archers, beeline to a capitol and hit it) is more attractive once you understand how huts work. That, and when you plan to be a warmonger, you can be less concerned with REX, as your REX phase will be shorter than a builder or the AI anyway.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        By the way, since I learned about the rules for popping a settler, I've been less concerned with producing a settler ASAP from my capitol. Often I will pump out a few extra warriors for exploration/possible bum-rush of a neighbor. The warrior or even archer gambit (archer rush is a bit different, IMO, as it involves multiple cities and a larger # of archers. My archer gambit is 1-2 archers, beeline to a capitol and hit it) is more attractive once you understand how huts work. That, and when you plan to be a warmonger, you can be less concerned with REX, as your REX phase will be shorter than a builder or the AI anyway.

-Arrian
                        Aggressive exploration works for the builder, too. An extra Settler, or sometimes just a Warrior, can make a game.

Comment

Mike B Comments about Goody Huts

It's not really that it's difficult; it's just that it was implemented by an intern . Here are the conditions:

Gold:
                          *The tile must not have any type of resource or luxury on it.

Maps:
                          --always available

Nothing:
                          --always available

Settler:
                          *Player must not have a settler (active or in production) or any unit with the Settle AI strategy.
                          *Number of player's cities must be <= (TotalCities / NumActivePlayers).

Mercenaries (skilled warrior):
                          *There must be a unit available to the Barbarians as well as the player and that unit must be able to be built (or have been built) by some player in the game.

Tech:
                          *Player must still be in Ancient Times.

Barbarians:
                          *Player must not have Expansionist trait.
                          *There must not be a city within a 1-tile radius.
                          *The player must have at least 1 city.
                          *The player must have at least 1 military unit.
                          *The unit popping the hut must not have the "All Terrain As Roads" ability.

He has several other comments scattered throughout that thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X