No announcement yet.

Save game names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't usually save my games; when I do save my games, I try to give them meaningful name because I often start another game to test out certain theory before I come back to finish what I was planning to do.

Comment

he wants to have a save game like "Aztec Game" that when he hits ctrl+s.

perhaps they should call that "save as" and add a "save" that overrites the file (ctrl+shift+s)
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
        he wants to have a save game like "Aztec Game" that when he hits ctrl+s.

perhaps they should call that "save as" and add a "save" that overrites the file (ctrl+shift+s)
        Exactly

That reminds me: I'm also pretty tired of having to say "Yes" each time it asks me if it should overwrite the save game...
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The savegame-interfaces is not perfect, I too, am annoyed by having to confirm the overwrite every time I save the game.

One thing I've been thinking about myself is moving the old/finished savegames to another directory. I once overwrote a old game (that I wanted to keep) with my current game because of my "yeah, yeah, overwrite already!"-feeling.

I haven't had civ3 for a long time yet, and I so far I've named the savegames by the number of the game. I'm currently in my fifth game, aptly named "femma" (Finnish slang for 'five' which derives from the Swedish word for 5: 'fem')

BTW, I still have tons of Civ-1 savegames left, I used to save them with the default name resulting in *LOTS* of savegames.

edit: removed the duplicate word word
          added: 'femma' is actually more commonly used to describe the 5 (finnish) mark coin (or the 5€ bill nowdays) rather than the number five
          Last edited by mwaf; August 13, 2002, 02:55.

Comment

If you're imaginative with saving, this might be a problem. I call everything "Dave".
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I would like the save to default to the last (sub-)folder I saved to, instead of to the main saves folder. Or at least to have that as an option.
              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I have 4 savegame files:
                Robert1
                Robert2
                Robert3
                Robert4

(my name is Robert, in case you wondered )
                I start with 1, then save to 1 a couple of times, then CLICK on 2 (not much work) etc. etc. etc.

hardly any work.
                btw, you don't have to save everyturn if you just turn on autosave
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

oh, and in case you wondered, after Robert4 I go back to Robert1. Thought I should explain that
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
                    I would like the save to default to the last (sub-)folder I saved to, instead of to the main saves folder. Or at least to have that as an option.
                    That's a good idea. I would like that very much.

Comment

In Alpha Centauri (SMAC) the save function was smarter, IMHO: if you liked to change a part of the name, it keep it as default for next save, changing only the untouched part of the name (e.g. the years sequence), or overwriting over and over the same name if you removed every variable parts.

I mean, in a Civ III example I should be able to take the first save game suggested as "Cleopatra of the Egyptians, 3900BC" and, changing it only once and forever for that game as "Cleopatra, 3900BC" the game will keep the name I used for every save, only changing the year.

I wonder why Firaxis killed this smart feature: I remember an old post when someone from Firaxis asked for suggestion about the save function, but I can't remember anyone suggesting to cut it so much!

Another thing I don't like is the bad practice to put the default \saves directory under Windows \Programs Files with .exe, libraries and so on.

Given the most (Windows) used standard to put data files into Documents and settings\username\ I wonder why Firaxis doesn't put this same standard into Civ III Save function.
                      It would help us to backup Civ save files with other relevant files, and in Win 2000/XP would help us to keep different user savefiles each at different place, an automatic way to have what Jaybe suggested some posts before mine.
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                        That reminds me: I'm also pretty tired of having to say "Yes" each time it asks me if it should overwrite the save game...
                        Oh yes. I'm planning to lead The Million Civers March on Hunt Valley to protest this.

Comment

try labeling your next save as "NEWEST GAME" or something like that but the problem is in a few months you'll have 50 "NEWEST SAVE " GAMES
                          here's another idea, try to complete a game b4 u start another then u can delete the old one.
                          Leave the die'n part to the other unlucky bastard ! ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
                            Given the most (Windows) used standard to put data files into Documents and settings\username\ I wonder why Firaxis doesn't put this same standard into Civ III Save function.
                            I defently DON'T like that idea. How it is now, it's 10X better, since you then know where the save games are...

They have this in GTA3, and I was about to lose my savegame, last time I formated my HD...I just can't see the point of this, I didn't know they had this bad idea included, until someone, the day reinstalled WinXP again, said he'd lost the savegame to the game, because of this...But lucky me, I had made a backup copy of the whole /username dir, instead of just the favorites as I usually do...

Comment

Originally posted by Sea41571
                              here's another idea, try to complete a game b4 u start another then u can delete the old one.
                              I can't just delete the other users save game files, you know!

I have always just 2 files (the other file is the "just-in-case" file, I have been a couple of times, in the situation were I couldn't load the savegame file)...And those two files, always has the same name, so you're missing the point of the thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                                I defently DON'T like that idea. How it is now, it's 10X better, since you then know where the save games are...
                                Of course you can like it or not, but sure as hell is a standard (in Windows NT, 2000, XP) way to separate users environments each others.
                                I understood that was one of your trouble, to find and separate your savegames from others users of your PC...

As I said before, the side effects of this standard is you can easily save every relevant data files, without browsing all your HD searching for dedicated \DATA or \SAVE or \DOCUMENT every programmer team chose to use
                                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                                X