Save game names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save game names?

Am I the only one around here, who is annoyed having to write the save game name each time (When you have tons of save-games, it's not that easy to just find the needed save game on the list)?

I don't like the thing, that it everytime I press ctrl+s (save game menu), the default save game name is: "{leadername} {Civ} {Age}", and if you just use this default name, then you end up having tons of different save-games...

If it'd just remembered the last save game name, then I'd be happy...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Re: Save game names?

Originally posted by ADG
    Am I the only one around here, who is annoyed having to write the save game name each time (When you have tons of save-games, it's not that easy to just find the needed save game on the list)?

I don't like the thing, that it everytime I press ctrl+s (save game menu), the default save game name is: "{leadername} {Civ} {Age}", and if you just use this default name, then you end up having tons of different save-games...

If it'd just remembered the last save game name, then I'd be happy...
    Umm, Overwrite? This could be the solution for you. If not, just stop complaining about petty things like this j/k

Comment

Does it selfexplains, that I overwrite my savegame every time I save?

So it seems like you're missing the point of the thread...

Comment

I keep my save game file on my desktop, for easy disposal

Comment

(Default file name: {leadername} {civ} {YEAR} )

Windows or Macintosh??

In Windows (I am using Windows XP), it remembers the last saved game with no problems.

On Macintosh, if you use the Civ interface then no problems either. If you use the Macintosh interface, then it does not remember the last game saved. I am using system 9.1 and I just click the "last modified" column which sorts by date and your latest save will always be on the top (or click the column a second time and it will be on the bottom). I much prefer the Macintosh interface, other than you are limited in the length of the filename.
          ----

Or did I misunderstand your whole point? Do you want just one save file throughout time? Since the default is always going to include the date, which I find quite useful, a way to limit your number of game saves would be to just have easy access to the 'saves' folder/directory and delete the old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by candybo
            I keep my save game file on my desktop, for easy disposal
            ??? This has nothing to do with the thread? It's not about being able to delete the files, it's about being able to just save the game, without having to enter the whole save game name again...and again...and again...

But I guess it's just annoying for me, since I'm among the few people, who save the game each minute or something like that (I just can't stop doing it)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

----

Or did I misunderstand your whole point? Do you want just one save file throughout time? Since the default is always going to include the date, which I find quite useful, a way to limit your number of game saves would be to just have easy access to the 'saves' folder/directory and delete the old ones.

Ummmm, yeah

Ok, sorry. Yours doesn't autoscript?

Comment

Using a different default name each time you start a game will solve this problem. Be creative.

Comment

In Windows (I am using Windows XP), it remembers the last saved game with no problems.
                  Strange...I'm also using WinXP, but it keeps forgetting it!!! I have formatted (and reinstalled) several times, but it have never remembered anything...It only remembers the last savegame, when I want to load a game, but not when saving...

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
                    Using a different default name each time you start a game will solve this problem. Be creative.
                    Ehmmm...the default name can't be changed!?! Or am I missing your point here?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                      quote:

Strange...I'm also using WinXP, but it keeps forgetting it!!! I have formatted (and reinstalled) several times, but it have never remembered anything...It only remembers the last savegame, when I want to load a game, but not when saving...
                      Same for me.

As far as having tons of saves, I clean out all the ones I don't want to keep when ever it starts getting real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                        If you want to save the game with the same name as already exists, then click on the existing filename. You can then edit the name to save as if you wish.

Comment

If you want to save the game with the same name as already exists, then click on the existing filename. You can then edit the name to save as if you wish.
                          Well...that's the problem I mentioned in my first post. It'll take even longer to find the savegame, when you have tons of then (That shouldn't be deleted...I'm not the only one using this computer)...

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                            Well...that's the problem I mentioned in my first post. It'll take even longer to find the savegame, when you have tons of then (That shouldn't be deleted...I'm not the only one using this computer)...
                            Are you saying that you have multiple PEOPLE playing Civ3 on that computer? If so, I would recommend making a separate directory for each player, nested within the "saves" directory.

Unfortunately, the game will probably try to find a game to load within the "saves" directory, so you will have to still manually find your correct game file. At least you will only be looking through the stack of YOUR games!

Comment

I usually only save when I quit my session or if I've been playing for over 1 hour. So, I use the same save game name regardless. I always shorten it to "China" or "America". Civ III always highlights the last save game I saved to when I start it up the next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X